Cooperative Version

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

I'm just gonna throw this bone out and see where it goes. 

It's now been over a month since I got Star Wars: The Card Game. The novelty of it has started to fade. While it's still a great game, I find that when I lay down to sleep at night, my thoughts turn toward the 2011 demo. I would love to try my hand at that game. I play LotR and from what I've read of the SW game, there were lots of differences between the two and LotR just doesn't satisfy my desire to play the cooperative SW game.

It is my sincere hope that FFG takes those mechanics and creates a new, stand-alone game, much in the same way they released the A Game of Thrones card game based on that LCG. I'd love to see three boxes that take you through the stories of the original trilogy as you and your friends take on the roles of the heroes, trying to overthrow the evil Galactic Empire.

The game we have is nice, and I'll definitely pick up the big box expansions, if not the Force packs, but my desire for the first version hasn't diminished.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#2 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

I know they said the rules will pop up in the future in other games or even this games multiplayer rules. 

I for one would never have played the coop version. LotR is a bore. I love Star Wars. Fast and fun. 

#3 thopol

thopol

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:11 AM

I've been thinking about multiplayer rules.  Obviously these are casual game types, so while balance is important, there's some more leeway than a normal cutthroat game.  Just brainstorming at this point, but if anyone tries anything cool, let me know.

Some thoughts:

2v2.  Both players play each phase together.  The death star requires more tics and the light side need to kill more objectives.

2v2.  One light and one dark player are a team.  You should be able to help your ally (vader vs clone vader), but there probably need to be restrictions, like focusing to pass to the other side of the board or something.  Also some strange bughouse/shogi rules could be used in a variant like this.  Maybe units killed get passed to teammate's hand at the end of the turn or something.  First side to win wins.

1v2.  Light side needs to kill more objectives, Dark side gets more objectives and more cards in hand.  Light side players play their phases together.

Anyway, multiplayer should definitely be possible, at least with two core sets.  I would love to see some specific rules that people have had fun with.

#4 Holliday88

Holliday88

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:51 AM

Budgernaut said:

It's now been over a month since I got Star Wars: The Card Game. The novelty of it has started to fade. While it's still a great game, I find that when I lay down to sleep at night, my thoughts turn toward the 2011 demo. I would love to try my hand at that game. 

What was different about that demo? Can you give a description?

North Carolina Facebook Group

Join the resource for connecting players across NC.

#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

thopol said:

Anyway, multiplayer should definitely be possible, at least with two core sets.

Obviously it is possible, the rules are on the way in The Balance of the Force deluxe expansion.

#6 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

thopol said:

I've been thinking about multiplayer rules.  Obviously these are casual game types, so while balance is important, there's some more leeway than a normal cutthroat game.  Just brainstorming at this point, but if anyone tries anything cool, let me know.

Some thoughts:

2v2.  Both players play each phase together.  The death star requires more tics and the light side need to kill more objectives.

I've been thinking about this a lot too. However,  I don't think you need to increase objectives or death-star dial ticks. The ida is that you should have more units out so the battles get bigger, but you still have the same restrictions. So in this version, one team could only attack three objectives. This forces a lot more defense (in theroy) I haven't tried it out because I don't have a lot of people to play with. Definitely worth some testing.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#7 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

Holliday88 said:

Budgernaut said:

It's now been over a month since I got Star Wars: The Card Game. The novelty of it has started to fade. While it's still a great game, I find that when I lay down to sleep at night, my thoughts turn toward the 2011 demo. I would love to try my hand at that game. 

It was a totally different game. Here's a review from BGG.

It was going to have a lot in common with Lord of the Rings. You had 1-4 players as the LS players. Together, they fought a DS deck controlled by artificial AI. I didn't get to play it, so can't describe it as well, but everything I've read sounded really fun. I get that a lot of people think it's not very exciting to play against a deck of cards instead of an opponent, but I find LotR pretty fun and would love the mechanical differences in the 2011 SW game.

--Count Dooku

#8 ShadowJak

ShadowJak

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

Budgernaut said:

Holliday88 said:

Budgernaut said:

It was a totally different game. Here's a review from BGG.

It was going to have a lot in common with Lord of the Rings. You had 1-4 players as the LS players. Together, they fought a DS deck controlled by artificial AI. I didn't get to play it, so can't describe it as well, but everything I've read sounded really fun. I get that a lot of people think it's not very exciting to play against a deck of cards instead of an opponent, but I find LotR pretty fun and would love the mechanical differences in the 2011 SW game.

I can appreciate that you want to play that game and it'd be nice if you get the chance, but I don't think it will be compelling for most people. I can't really see this game being made.

#9 Darkvalkyrie74

Darkvalkyrie74

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

I, for one, would have loved to see a star wars cooperative game as well. Almost like a RPG card game where you could have 4-6 charactercards each with gear cards, enhancment cards, etc & an AI deck with locations, events, & adversaries to deal with; perhaps with victory pt values to gain as "xp". A cooperative Star Wars card game would interest me greatly.

#10 just Logan

just Logan

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

A game like that probably wouldn't fit into the LCG frame work. I also love LoTR but I don't hink the release structure works very well, especially when they  intrerrupted everything for the hobbit tie ins. I would like to see  the SW co op made a game but maybe a "card game" not a LCG- so stronger main set and expansions maybe. More like the other  nonliving (undead?) FFG card games or like what the Shadowrun game promises to be.

#11 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

I recommend keeping an open mind to this game's multiplayer variant: it's undoubtedly being made as a response to the negative feedback from players who wanted a cooperative experience.

You'll just need to find a friend who's cool with the idea of playing against everybody else.

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#12 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

MarthWMaster said:

I recommend keeping an open mind to this game's multiplayer variant: it's undoubtedly being made as a response to the negative feedback from players who wanted a cooperative experience.

You'll just need to find a friend who's cool with the idea of playing against everybody else.

Good advice. I think I will try to keep an open mind about it. It's just, I find most of my oponents on OCTGN these days, so the solo option would have been nice. And I doubt db0 will incorporate the cooperative into his OCTGN programing because he seems more like a tournament kind of guy. But hey, if I could get some extended family to play the multiplayer once or twice a year, that might be worth it.

--Count Dooku

#13 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

Same here, I have a fervent hope that they resurrect the 2011 game as a silver-line game or something. It looked like lots of fun, and also intensely thematic. I think I'm still really traumatised by this current incarnation because I only have one gaming buddy, who told me a few weeks back that he just doesn't like this game, so I now have no hope of playing it. I'm going to buy a few Force packs and most likely Edge of Darkness to try and change his mind, but it's looking like an uphill struggle I could do without, to be honest. 

Either that, or the multi-player rules will provide some way to automate the DS deck and make it possible to solo…

All art is quite useless

#14 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

spalanzani said:

Same here, I have a fervent hope that they resurrect the 2011 game as a silver-line game or something. It looked like lots of fun, and also intensely thematic. I think I'm still really traumatised by this current incarnation because I only have one gaming buddy, who told me a few weeks back that he just doesn't like this game, so I now have no hope of playing it. I'm going to buy a few Force packs and most likely Edge of Darkness to try and change his mind, but it's looking like an uphill struggle I could do without, to be honest. 

Either that, or the multi-player rules will provide some way to automate the DS deck and make it possible to solo…

You've got to get on OCTGN! There are quite a few players there. If it weren't for OCTGN, I'd get one or two games a month, but the online version has allowed me to get two or three games a week. 

--Count Dooku

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS