Photo

Could someone explain how critical damage is accumulated?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

Granted, english isn't my native language but of all the rules I've read the ones regarding how critical damge "works". For instance, if a character has 5 wounds left, takes 7 to the body, do I then consult the chart, give him the effect for 2 on the body? And the next time he's hit, taking 2 damage do I move down to 4? Or do I see that he's taken the number 2 damage and move it down to 3? And what if it's in a different location?

I have a feeling it's better described in one of the other core books and they've just glossed it over but I'm having a hard time getting how it works.

#2 Terraneaux

Terraneaux

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

If you're familiar with DnD at all, it works somewhat similarly - once your wounds are depleted, you start suffering critical damage, which causes critical effects based on what number it 'stops' on.  

So say a character has 3 wounds left and suffers 5 damage to the body.  They will be suffering from the critical effect listed under number 2 on the critical damage charts, appropriate for the type of damage they suffer.  If the character were then to suffer 2 damage to the arm, they would suffer the critical effect of number 4 on the arm chart.  

Keep in mind that Zealous Hatred does not technically give 'critical damage' but instead just makes the target suffer a critical effect, ergo one cannot use multiple zealous hatreds to 'stack' critical damage and kill someone without going through their wounds.

#3 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

Alright, so a character that suffers a crit damage of 2 is considered to have -2 wounds for the next hit regardless of location? And then it goes down until you hit a killing blow. Sounds reasonable. Thanks! 

#4 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

Yeah, Critical rating past your wounds is a lot like negative hitpoints. Its just that every time youre hit the location and damage type decide what happen at your new damage total, rather than just always being automatically unconscious, bleeding and in shock. In that way its often much more survivable than the earlier levels of other games.

Certain very very tough things [notably marines and freebootas] can actually halve the critical damage they recieve: so it takes two points of damage to go up one in the critical chart if they have said talents. The result can be a well equipped, sound-constitution-crazy rank 4-5 Freeboota with a little bit of armer and cover surviving a shot that would have blown the leg clean off a sentinel with nothing but a broken arm!

#5 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Also note that talents that modify Critical Damage, like Crack Shot and Crippling Strike, do not affect Zealous Hatred. The same is true for True Grit, as that reduced Critical Damage (which a Zealous Hatred is not).

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS