Photo

Mama always said to leave your helmet on in battle.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:22 AM

I acutally got my PC's to start the adventure with the battle since the frigate that was taking them to their mission was badly damaged, and there had decompression issues to face as they  made it to there Drop Pod.  They even left their helmets on until a Cultist Champion challenged them to single combat.  And like any great space marine hero he took off his helmet to face the vile wretch. 

What happened next, you guessed it.  Power sword to the face.  Now it says something about what it means to be a space marine when a power sword to the fce doesn't kill you out right, in fact it didn't even take my player down into the crit ranges.  He killed the Cultist, but he failed to make it look really cool and inspire his troops.

We shall see.  Will he where his helmet in the next adventure?  I know my GM-PC won't I think he'd rather die than mess up his awsome Spacve Wolf face-braids.

This isn't really a question, just an observation.  Space Marine Heroes almost never where their helmets.  I can just imagine a sargent training new recruits.  He shows each of theme the helmet and then berates them all in advance for not wearing it.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#2 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Yeah, I'm not letting my Marine wear his helmet when it can be avoided as well - for some types of characters, including Astartes, it almost feels like a must, at least if said character is a squad leader or otherwise holding a position of respect where he or she would inspire confidence in others. Leading by example and showing no signs of fear is sure to raise morale, in addition to (depending on culture) being a matter of honour to showing one's face to the enemy.

As for the "powersword to the face" not leaving any sort of injury, I suppose that's just something we can attribute to standard P&P "hitpoint" mechanics skewing realism in favour of more intense (read, longer) combat. I like to rationalise it with sheer luck turning a terrible blow into a barely deflected attack which may still leave an easily treatable scar or something like that. Maybe this helps a little in making the reception of such attacks look a bit more epic. :)

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#3 brother maxximus

brother maxximus

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I personally never take my helmet off. Theres a reason its issued to you. This is the Deathwatch youl be fighting all sorts of insane alien horrors. I think ill stick with that nice ap 8, aswell as all the fancy auto sence and stuff. I was always suprised that all the sgt.s with no helet would have been weeded out by natural selection. I dont beleive the most of the enamys deserve more than the cold grin of and Aquila MK 7 battle helm anyway.I do also see the apeal of leading by example but ive never been the showey type. Im to paranoid for that, espeshly in the Deathwatch.

#4 Nikollo

Nikollo

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

I'm with Maxximus. I never understood it. In my SM tabletop army there is not a single unhelmeted dude. Not a one.

#5 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hrathen said:

What happened next, you guessed it.  Power sword to the face.  Now it says something about what it means to be a space marine when a power sword to the fce doesn't kill you out right, in fact it didn't even take my player down into the crit ranges.  He killed the Cultist, but he failed to make it look really cool and inspire his troops.

I dunno, taking a power sword to the face and not only surviving but winning the dual is pretty badass! If I was you, Hrathen, I would describe your character as having an awesome scar from now on…

#6 Askil

Askil

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

As much as I love the various helms of the SM lore (especially beakies) I have to say unhelmed in the way to go.

Not only do space marines have ceramic reinforced bones but they are dogmatic knightly warriors not modern pragmatic soldiers.

The same thinking applies to helms as applies for camoflague "the colour of cowardice."

#7 Plasmafest

Plasmafest

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

Given that a squad's helms are all fairly uniform, and that the leader's helm is usually a different colour, often with a bright crest, taking it off might be a good way to avoid getting shot in the face by some enemys.

#8 brother maxximus

brother maxximus

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

I always like to think of the chapter marines as more spec ops types, and the Legions more as knights.After all it is the Deathwatch. Though i guess it depends on the chapter. Like you seaid for Red Scorpians camoflagh is the calor of cowerdice. Now talk to a Ravin Guard…you can fill in the rest.(awesome signiture by the way)

#9 Heinrich Ikarion

Heinrich Ikarion

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Now now Hrathen,  let's tell the whole story. I figured I'd better register here to set the story straight.  The only reason I pulled off my helmet was to spit; once I found out my NPC new best friend in the world /deathwatch team mate was a dirty rune priest psyker.  Burn the witch. And yes I am a Black Templar with his zeal turned up to 11.  I was sent to deathwatch not because I was the most tolerant, but possibly to learn some tolerance as I was insufferable even to my brethren Templarim.   :)

anyway, helmet off and all that, duty called and I charged.  It was a couple of botched rolls and a sword to the face before I managed to decapitate the heretic in a Monty Pythonesque geyser of blood and send the severed head flying eleven meters away.

and yes Brother Heinrich Wilhelm Ikarion now sports an awesome scar.  

#10 Heinrich Ikarion

Heinrich Ikarion

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

Follow up.  Fat lot of good my helmet did me.  Last night a gene stealer got through the armor, put me critical and took my nose right off. I hope I can get this thing regrown once we get back, otherwise looks like I get a nifty skull effect.   LOL

#11 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Heinrich Ikarion said:

Follow up.  Fat lot of good my helmet did me.  Last night a gene stealer got through the armor, put me critical and took my nose right off. I hope I can get this thing regrown once we get back, otherwise looks like I get a nifty skull effect.   LOL

Ummm… I thought you would be glad you were wearing your helmet.  If you hadn't been, wouldn't the genestealer have taken your whole head instead of just your nose?

#12 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

You can be a Chaplain, and get away without wearing the Skull Helm! :D

#13 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

Blood Pact said:

You can be a Chaplain, and get away without wearing the Skull Helm! :D

I don't think the problem is that Space Marine Helmets aren't cool.  They just aren't cool to wear. 

Some how I have a feeling that Space Marines wouldn't wear seat-belts.

Actually the guy's in the Land Speader don't.

#14 Nikollo

Nikollo

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Hrathen said:

I don't think the problem is that Space Marine Helmets aren't cool.  They just aren't cool to wear. 

I call shenanigans. My Signature Wargear helmet is freaking boss, and my char looks freaking boss wearing it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS