Jump to content



Photo

Good Deck with just the 1 Base Set


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 GoldCrow18

GoldCrow18

    Member

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a competitive deck using simply the one Base Set? I did pretty well the other day against a guy who built a souped up deck from 2 Base Sets and all I had was a Sith Deck with the 2 other neutral imperial/dark side objectives… so it was a legal 10 obj/50 card deck… just wanna know if anyone knows a way to build a deck using facets from other factions? I built a Jedi Deck using the Smugglers affiliation card too (to get Luke, Han, and Obi-Wan in the same deck) … I am tinkering but wanted to know your thoughts one the subject!

Thanks A Million Guys

GoldCrow18



#2 GoldCrow18

GoldCrow18

    Member

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Let me pose THIS question… IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE? or am I pretty much screwed til Hoth comes out… cuz I am not willing to get a second Base when the Hoth set comes out soon and I will likely be building from that… I feel as if the 2nd base would be wasted after I remove base cards to substitute Hoth Cards….

Thought?

 

GoldCrow18



#3 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

    Member

  • Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

You absolutely need a second core set. Just order it right now and get it over with. Without a second core set, you have no chance of being seriously competitive any time in the next couple of years. 


Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com


#4 GoldCrow18

GoldCrow18

    Member

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Years? Wow .. thats a heck of a time table! Why years? I was expecting to be uncompetitive for "months" certainly not years!

Please elaborate

 

GoldCrow18



#5 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

The Core Sets in each LCG tend to contain a lot very basic cards that go into a variety of decks. These form the "core" of a player's deckbuilding makeup. As an example, notice how the Core Set objectives themselves tend to have broad effects like unconditional card draw, discard-based cost reduction, etc. These are all helpful, regardless of the deck they help form, and doubling up on them increases the odds that they will see play in a game. By contrast, the Hoth objectives we've seen so far have had conditional effects that, while impressive, aren't necessarily going to belong in every deck.



#6 Archrono

Archrono

    Member

  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Well, I'm no competative player, and I sure am not gonna pick up a second core, but I think the main thing you need to consider is consistancy via redundancy.

Usually deck will win because they do what they're designed to do (win with x combo or get powerhouse out by turn 3 or whatever after board has been established.) consistantly.  (Like a trench run deck will want 2 trench runs. plus doubles of whatever will help it win, If the trench run pod isn't limit one per deck that is.) 

Obviously, a DS deck that gets vader and or the emp out easily (not to mention wins edge battles because of the extra force icons if they throw the extra one down) will be tough, but I don't think that makes a 2x objective deck unbeatable or even the best. (especially once we get the first force pack.)

You can try two ways. Either build the best deck you can and sub in "tools" you want consistantly (Build a jedi deck with smugglers for power guys), or something pretty unusual that an opponent isn't expecting.  

If Sith is the "one to beat" then I'd just start with a wierd deck that messes with everything it tries to do. Cancels for events and bounce characters. (Again though, this would be easier to make with double cores, cause then you'd have 2 smuggler pods.) 

But yeah, if you find two different pods that do similar things, then you don't "need" 2x of the same one anymore. (Of course again, you'd have 4x of that tool if you had double core….)

Easier said then done of course, but thats part of the fun! 

And the satisfaction when you beat a double core deck. Sweet.

I guess in a perfect world where I could get a second core…. I might. Nawww. Just wait for the first force pack and wreck face with your crazy oddball deck.

That's what I'm gonna do.

 

Or use proxies.

;D

;D



#7 Archrono

Archrono

    Member

  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

I've been toying with a LS Jedi affiliation deck with all the resource "adjustment" cards and the smuggler pod as well as some rebel splashed in. Probably won't work at all, but who can know these things? :P

I figure Han, Red Five, and whatever other heavy hitters (a solid mix of capital ships and jedi) you can get out would be pretty slammin. Rumors at the Cantina (I think the core has 2x?) plus almost everything in the pod helps with resource match.

Not to mention you could combo Battlefield Engineer, Wookie Pilot, and Trust Your Feelings to double down on an objective with the same pumped up jedi (or even Han). :D

I mean, if your not gonna double core you might as well use all the cool stuff. :D



#8 agnos

agnos

    Member

  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

GoldCrow18 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a competitive deck using simply the one Base Set?

Yes, buy a second core set.  Remove the LS cards from both your core sets.  Now you have the equivalent of one core set of DS cards and one core set of LS cards.  Since you will only be playing either DS or LS at one time, then you can make a competitive deck using simply the DS core set or the LS core set.  Problem solved.

On a serious non-trolling level, seriously people it's $40 at most for the second core set.  Just ante-up and buy a second otherwise your decks will be significantly sub-par competitively.  Now if you just want to have fun, fully ignore my trolling/advice.



#9 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

Just by the nature of deck building you're not going to be "competitive" with one base set when playing somebody with two.  Yes, some decks built with only one base set will be better than some decks built with two, but the very best decks built with two will always be better than the very best decks built with only one (at least until the card pool grows enough).  No real way around that: with two base sets you can build any deck that somebody with one base set could build plus a ton of other options.



#10 stormwolf27

stormwolf27

    Member

  • Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

agnos said:

GoldCrow18 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a competitive deck using simply the one Base Set?

 

Yes, buy a second core set.  Remove the LS cards from both your core sets.  Now you have the equivalent of one core set of DS cards and one core set of LS cards.  Since you will only be playing either DS or LS at one time, then you can make a competitive deck using simply the DS core set or the LS core set.  Problem solved.

On a serious non-trolling level, seriously people it's $40 at most for the second core set.  Just ante-up and buy a second otherwise your decks will be significantly sub-par competitively.  Now if you just want to have fun, fully ignore my trolling/advice.

Adding a note to this… if you're going to be playing in tournaments, you're most likely going to play one game as LS and one game as DS per match, so against each player. Any OP event that doesn't do this is severely limiting the options for balanced tournament play, since you cannot have DS v DS games in this one.

And yes, buy the second core. It's not that expensive, and boosts your competitiveness in the game significantly. I preordered my 2 cores as soon as they were up on my store's site.


"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka


#11 Grobb

Grobb

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

Can I ask a further question to this, that must have been answered elsewhere?  Are we back to the "bad old days" in the expansion sets now, where we are actually going to have to buy 2 copies to get "all the cards we can play"?

 

Thanks



#12 Holliday88

Holliday88

    Member

  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

Grobb said:

Can I ask a further question to this, that must have been answered elsewhere?  Are we back to the "bad old days" in the expansion sets now, where we are actually going to have to buy 2 copies to get "all the cards we can play"?

 

Thanks

 

Nope. force packs come with 2 copies of the objective sets, unless they are 'Limit 1 per deck.'


North Carolina Facebook Group

Join the resource for connecting players across NC.


#13 Grobb

Grobb

    Member

  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

Thanks!

Ye I just found the answer as you posted here as well

 

http://www.fantasyfl...=4&efidt=749587



#14 Holliday88

Holliday88

    Member

  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

GoldCrow18 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a competitive deck using simply the one Base Set? I did pretty well the other day against a guy who built a souped up deck from 2 Base Sets and all I had was a Sith Deck with the 2 other neutral imperial/dark side objectives… so it was a legal 10 obj/50 card deck… just wanna know if anyone knows a way to build a deck using facets from other factions? I built a Jedi Deck using the Smugglers affiliation card too (to get Luke, Han, and Obi-Wan in the same deck) … I am tinkering but wanted to know your thoughts one the subject!

Thanks A Million Guys

GoldCrow18

GoldCrow18 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a competitive deck using simply the one Base Set? I did pretty well the other day against a guy who built a souped up deck from 2 Base Sets and all I had was a Sith Deck with the 2 other neutral imperial/dark side objectives… so it was a legal 10 obj/50 card deck… just wanna know if anyone knows a way to build a deck using facets from other factions? I built a Jedi Deck using the Smugglers affiliation card too (to get Luke, Han, and Obi-Wan in the same deck) … I am tinkering but wanted to know your thoughts one the subject!

Thanks A Million Guys

GoldCrow18

 

If you don't wamt to buy a whole core set, I think Team Covenant is selling individual objective sets. However, once you find yourself getting a second, Luke pod, Obi pod, Vader pod, Emperor pod, etc, you're not far off from the $40 of a core set anyway. 

 

If cost is an issue, just head over to boardgame geek. On the SWLCG page, there is a marketplace from other sellers as well as links to ebay. Or even keep an eye on this board, coolstuff had a great sale last week.


North Carolina Facebook Group

Join the resource for connecting players across NC.


#15 GoldCrow18

GoldCrow18

    Member

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

Holliday88 said:

If you don't wamt to buy a whole core set, I think Team Covenant is selling individual objective sets. However, once you find yourself getting a second, Luke pod, Obi pod, Vader pod, Emperor pod, etc, you're not far off from the $40 of a core set anyway. 

 

If cost is an issue, just head over to boardgame geek. On the SWLCG page, there is a marketplace from other sellers as well as links to ebay. Or even keep an eye on this board, coolstuff had a great sale last week.

That is a very interesting note… since I am new to this forum can you enlighten me as to where I would look for sales and such (ie: the aforementioned coolstuff sale)… I would really appreciate it…. and thanks for the advice guys… I might break down and get a second set but I am on a strapped budget since I am getting my masters and only working part time (and student loan bills suuuuuccckkkk!)

Thanks

GoldCrow18



#16 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

    Toqtamish

  • Members
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

GoldCrow18 said:

That is a very interesting note… since I am new to this forum can you enlighten me as to where I would look for sales and such (ie: the aforementioned coolstuff sale)… I would really appreciate it…. and thanks for the advice guys… I might break down and get a second set but I am on a strapped budget since I am getting my masters and only working part time (and student loan bills suuuuuccckkkk!)

Thanks

GoldCrow18

 

Someone posted a thread about it when the sale happened. It wouldn't be advertised or anything like that here. Miniature market is who I use when I order online instead of in store.



#17 geki

geki

    Member

  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

GoldCrow18 said:

Holliday88 said:

 

If you don't wamt to buy a whole core set, I think Team Covenant is selling individual objective sets. However, once you find yourself getting a second, Luke pod, Obi pod, Vader pod, Emperor pod, etc, you're not far off from the $40 of a core set anyway. 

 

If cost is an issue, just head over to boardgame geek. On the SWLCG page, there is a marketplace from other sellers as well as links to ebay. Or even keep an eye on this board, coolstuff had a great sale last week.

 

 

That is a very interesting note… since I am new to this forum can you enlighten me as to where I would look for sales and such (ie: the aforementioned coolstuff sale)… I would really appreciate it…. and thanks for the advice guys… I might break down and get a second set but I am on a strapped budget since I am getting my masters and only working part time (and student loan bills suuuuuccckkkk!)

Thanks

GoldCrow18

 

Remember that amazon always has a prime-free shipped price which, while higher than specialized websites, it's usually 20% lower than retail, at the least.



#18 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

    Member

  • Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

MarthWMaster said:

The Core Sets in each LCG tend to contain a lot very basic cards that go into a variety of decks. These form the "core" of a player's deckbuilding makeup. As an example, notice how the Core Set objectives themselves tend to have broad effects like unconditional card draw, discard-based cost reduction, etc. These are all helpful, regardless of the deck they help form, and doubling up on them increases the odds that they will see play in a game. By contrast, the Hoth objectives we've seen so far have had conditional effects that, while impressive, aren't necessarily going to belong in every deck.

This.

The core set is a large body of cards, and they will see play throughout the life of the game. Even in a game like AGoT, you still see core set cards in many top decks. As was mentioned, a lot of the core objectives are simply good in and of themselves, while the force packs will have themes, and more effects that are conditional. As you will see, decks will be running 2x of many of the core set objective sets for a long time to come. 


Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com


#19 Ravncat

Ravncat

    Member

  • Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

Considering the nature of the draw mechanic, I think the challenge of building a good deck, not top tier but tier three , maybe even two , should be possible from the core.   I'd imagine smuggler and Jedi or sith / navy would be the best starting places. I'll think about this more and try to post what I com up with. While I agree the benefits of adjusting probability w a second objective are great . Maybe we should just accept the OP premise and move on to trying to build something competative with one core.



#20 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Ravncat said:

Considering the nature of the draw mechanic, I think the challenge of building a good deck, not top tier but tier three , maybe even two , should be possible from the core.   I'd imagine smuggler and Jedi or sith / navy would be the best starting places. I'll think about this more and try to post what I com up with. While I agree the benefits of adjusting probability w a second objective are great . Maybe we should just accept the OP premise and move on to trying to build something competative with one core.

I agree that we can certainly do a "best possible" deck with just one core set.  I do plan on trying to do such a thing eventually.  However, they won't be "competitive" if by "competitive" you mean able to compete with the better 2-core-set decks on a consistent basis.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS