What New Ships Would You Like To See?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Horseshoe068

Horseshoe068

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

I was wondering what ships others would like to see come out.

I would like to see the B-wing as well as The Hounds Tooth and maybe Jedi Star Fighter.

#2 riplikash

riplikash

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

B-Wings are very high on my list, as well as a Tie Bomber. After that I'm hoping for some EU ships, namely: Z-95 Headhunters, Tie Defendesr, and Tie Avengers.

Tie Defenders are probably the ship I'm hoping for most at this point.

#3 CPTMcMurphy

CPTMcMurphy

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

I would not be supprised if the Z95 and Tie Defender released at the same time.  This expansion would give the Rebels that cheap fighter they desperately need.  The Tie Defender would be that durable, ion tooting fighter that the Imperials could use.  As for large ships, I could easily see the Rebels getting Dash in his ship while the Imperials got IG-88 in his ship (could actaul be any of the bounty hunters we see in the fifth movie).  I would also be interested in seeing pilots/ships with no alligance that could be used for either side.

#4 Herrgeist

Herrgeist

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

I agree with Murphy, any of the other bounty hunters. Wave 3 will no doubt have the bombers, but maybe by Wave 4 we will get mercs that can play both sides.

#5 MetaphoricDragon

MetaphoricDragon

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

I definitely want a TIE Defender.  I'm hoping we get far enough along I get a Chiss Clawcraft.

As for pilots, I'm hoping we get a special Rogue Squadron pilot pack with some of the more famous alumni.

#6 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

I agree that Wave 3 will almost certainly have the B-wing and TIE Bomber, perhaps on a Move 1.5 Base size, as they are both broader than any fighter yet released, but nowhere near the double-sized base of the big ships--A B-wing's long axis is less than half the length of a YT-1300.

After that, or in addition to that if they want to add more ships for Wave 3, it really depends on whether FFG will want to dig into the EU material (as they have with pilots) or whether they'll start going back to the Prequel trilogy for ship designs.

I imagine that Lucasfilm/Disney will have some input into that decision, since it's largely their merchandising on the table.  So, my money is that they'll stick with "canon" ships rather than designs which have been dreamed up by work-for-hire authors.*  Perhaps by Wave 4 or Wave 5 we'll have some tie-in to the next series of films. 

*There may even be some copyright issues with using EU ships created by those authors. While I'd certainly expect Lucasfilm to have airtight contracts, stranger things have happened. "Tom Paris" on Star Trek Voyager was a clone of an earlier one-off character from Next Generation played by the same actor, and there was doubt whether BBC could bring back the Daleks when they rebooted Dr. Who in 2005. In both cases it was thought that the original writers might have some rights, and in fact Terry Nation gets credited in any episode where Daleks have appeared.  The could avoid all that just by going with Delta-7s, Eta-2s, ARC-170s, and V-Wings.

Basically, if it's been made into a Transformer or Lego set, I'll bet we'll see those before any new designs.  But I'll weep tears of joy if we get an Ebon Hawk.

#7 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

Ooo, I just thought of it, they could easily put out a Rogue Squadron POD set with just pilot cards and base tokens.

#8 magi

magi

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

Models of the ships and characters in the upcoming movies would make some sense, as you're more likely to see the ships of the Rebellion era being used in these films alongside the new ships.

That said, I'd like to see the B-wing as well as the TIE bomber. I'd also like to see the Lambda shuttle (perhaps as an Imperial/ Rebel ship, depending on the pilot chosen).

#9 MetaphoricDragon

MetaphoricDragon

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

Regarding Authors and EU material as relating to this game, we already have examples in game.

Both Tycho Celchu and Horton Salm were created by Michael A Stackpole and only later retconned as being previously unnamed characters in the movies.

Maarek Stele was from the TIE Fighter games, and most of the named TIE pilots are taken from Decipher's old card game, so I don't think tapping outside sources is a huge issue.

#10 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

There is a lot of interesting ships left.

B-Wing and Tie Bomber are obvious.

Z-95 and Tie Defender would be very nice to balance the game, Cheap expendable fighter like the Tie/LN for Rebels and a high cost elite fighter for Empire.

Imperial shuttle for Empire only or both factions.

YT 2400 for Rebels only or both factions.

There are also a lot of rather unknown starfighters like The R-41, or later ships like E-wing, although i doubt they would bring that stuff.

#11 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

MetaphoricDragon said:

Regarding Authors and EU material as relating to this game, we already have examples in game.

Both Tycho Celchu and Horton Salm were created by Michael A Stackpole and only later retconned as being previously unnamed characters in the movies.

Maarek Stele was from the TIE Fighter games, and most of the named TIE pilots are taken from Decipher's old card game, so I don't think tapping outside sources is a huge issue.

Indeed i like the idea of taking the Pilots from Stackpoles and Allstons novels.

I'd also like to see not only new ships but also some extension deck of new pilots for existing ships.

As it is now they take anyone from the movies there is but if there is no one they look in the novels. So why not take someone like Corran Horn or other later Rogue and Wraith squadron members.

Is Soontir Fel also an invention of Allston or Stackpole or does he have a different background, i'd like to know that…

And if they take people from Computer games, there are also a lot of possibilities opening up.

#12 Caine Hazen

Caine Hazen

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

MetaphoricDragon said:

And in another note that way, the EoE game has used some ships that originally appeared in SW: Galaxies (The Dunelizard and Nova Courier).  There are some there I'd love to see them do if they add a merc/Hutt/Pirate faction to the game

#13 evanger

evanger

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

ForceM said:

MetaphoricDragon said:

Is Soontir Fel also an invention of Allston or Stackpole or does he have a different background, i'd like to know that…

From Wookiepeida:

The character of Soontir Fel was created by Michael Stackpole for the X-wing: Rogue Squadron comic series.

#14 elfholme

elfholme

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Grimwalker said:

Ooo, I just thought of it, they could easily put out a Rogue Squadron POD set with just pilot cards and base tokens.

This is something I am hoping to see.  I'd like new ship models as well, but re-releasing some ships, perhaps with slightly different paint jobs (X-Wing with Rogue Squadron markings, for example) or just releasing card/base token sets would be good too.

I definitely want more Rogue Squadron pilots to fly with Wedge.

#15 PRINCEOFDANKNESS

PRINCEOFDANKNESS

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Being an Imperial player, I'd personally like to blow up a Twin Pod Cloud Car with Lobot in it.

It might not be able to fire, but I think it could have a use as a support ship, maybe giving other friendly ships free tokens or even another action.

#16 Raelthorne

Raelthorne

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Would love to see an arc-170 starfighter.  Love the design of that ship.  Wouldn't mind Jedi starfighters from the prequel triogy either :)

#17 KnightShift

KnightShift

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Eventually it'd be neat to see some "surface expansion" i.e. snowspeeders/airspeeders complementing the X-wings and A-wings against AT-ATs etc.  Not its own game, just something to complement the core rules :-)

#18 Jdamaso111

Jdamaso111

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

It would be really cool to see a huge ship as part of a terrain expansion like home one or a star destroyer.

#19 Aridia 97th

Aridia 97th

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Wonder if we'll ever see the Assault Gunboat or the Missile Boat.  Some of the slightly bigger ships from the PC games like the transoprt migfht be nice too.  Have to agree with the Tie Defender wishes.  I was greatly pleased to see the Lego kit.

#20 Thunder_Chicken

Thunder_Chicken

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

I have that lego kit for the Defender.  Would love the Defender and Z-95 here as well.  Also the assault gunboat would be pretty sweet too.  Love those craft from the PC games.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS