The use of the Wyrm

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Decker1613

Decker1613

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

OK, so I and some of my friends can not figure out what this card is good for. I figure we are missing it, so if someone out there wants to educate us on how this card is used and why I should put it in my deck, I would be so grateful. thank you.

chris

#2 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

You can use it in conjunction with Parasite to trash ICE when that ICE has strength = zero.

But note, as I JUST found out today, before Wyrm can lower the strength of ICE Wyrm must have strength equal to the strength of the ICE it is trying to weaken.

#3 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

You may need it to reduce the strength of ice so that it can be broken by icebreakers that cannot increase their own strength (like Yog.0).

#4 Decker1613

Decker1613

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

So why would I want to pay 3 bits to break ice subroutine on a piece of ice with 0 or less strength and for that matter how am I to beat something that has a higher strength then me and why would I use all my credits to do any of this. It makes NOOO sense to me. Do I use it on ice just to lower the strength of a code gate then go in with a code gate ice braker and bypass it? I need more input, this is a crazy card.

#5 Butaman551

Butaman551

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

Decker1613 said:

So why would I want to pay 3 bits to break ice subroutine on a piece of ice with 0 or less strength and for that matter how am I to beat something that has a higher strength then me and why would I use all my credits to do any of this. It makes NOOO sense to me. Do I use it on ice just to lower the strength of a code gate then go in with a code gate ice braker and bypass it? I need more input, this is a crazy card.

I will try to help you out as much as I can. 

First, the text from Wyrm:

3 [Credits]: Break ice subroutine on a piece of ice with 0 or less strength. 

1 [Credits]: Ice has -1 strength.

1 [Credits]: +1 strength. 

Three main reasons to use Wyrm. 

1. You don't have the necessary ice breaker to get past a piece of ice.  You'll notice that the first paid ability on Wyrm is to break an ice subroutine for 3 credits. It does not specify a type of ice, so it can break any subroutine on any piece of ice (like Crypsis). Imagine the corp has a remote server housing an agenda you really want to steal, but there is a Wall of Static protecting the server and you still haven't found your barrier breaker. Do you just give up and let the corp have that agenda? No way! Wyrm to the rescue!

You spend 2 credits to get Wyrm's strength up to 3, then another 3 credits to bring Wall of Static's strength down to 0. Finally, you pay 3 credits to break the single End the Run subroutine on that ice. Did you just spend 8 credits to break a measly Wall of Static? Yes, you did. Did you get your grubby little hands on the corp's agenda? Yes, you did. 

2. To trash an ice with parasite. Let's say the corp has an Archer protecting a remote server that you Parasited a few turns ago. But now the corp is on the verge of scoring the game winning agenda so you have to act fast…too bad the corp trashed you last sentry breaker the turn you first met Mr. Archer. So do you curl up with some hot chocolate and have yourself a good cry? Of course not. Once again (da da daaaa), Wyrm to the rescue. 

Archer's Parasite is sitting pretty with 5 tokens at the beginning of your turn (leaving the Archer with an effective strength of 1), but you need to steal that agenda this turn to keep the corp from winning. So in comes your friend Wyrm. You don't need to pay any credits to match strength since both Wyrm and Archer have strengths of 1 now. So you pay one credit to lower the strength of Archer from 1 to 0, which triggers the constant ability on Parasite and trashes Archer. So even without a sentry breaker, you managed to save the day from the evil corp just in time…thanks to Wyrm (and maybe Parasite as well). 

3. To allow ice breakers like Yog.0 and Mimic (which have no innate ability to raise their strength) to break ice stronger than they normally would be able to. Imagine the corp has installed a nasty Tollbooth On one of his remote servers, and you really, really, really want to get inside that server. Problem is, the only code gate breaker you are running is Yog.0, which has a strength of 3 and can't handle the bulging strength 5 biceps of Tollbooth. Is it time to throw in the towel and forget about that remote server? No, because once again, Wyrm (ta da da daaaaa!) to the rescue. 

First, You pay a toll of 3 credits because Tollbooth is just a hater. Then You spend 4 credits to buff Wyrm up to 5 strength. After that, you spend 2 more credits to drop Tollbooth from a strength of 5 to a strength of 3. Now good 'ol Yog.0 can break Tollbooth's single End the Run subroutine for 0 credits. So you spent 6 credits (and that stupid toll!) to get past Tollbooth, but now you are in that server and ready to steal yourself some points. 

So the moral of the story…is Wyrm the best ice breaker to use in these situations? Absolutely not. There are several other cards that would have made it easier and cheaper to accomplish the same thing. But Wyrm can be quite versatile in the right deck…and dare I say more stylish?

• mcmugwump likes this

#6 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

Butaman551 said:

Decker1613 said:

I will try to help you out as much as I can. 

First, the text from Wyrm:

3 [Credits]: Break ice subroutine on a piece of ice with 0 or less strength. 

1 [Credits]: Ice has -1 strength.

1 [Credits]: +1 strength. 

So the moral of the story…is Wyrm the best ice breaker to use in these situations? Absolutely not. There are several other cards that would have made it easier and cheaper to accomplish the same thing. But Wyrm can be quite versatile in the right deck…and dare I say more stylish?

One other use of Wyrm:

You have 4 Virus tokens on your Parasite on an Archer, but are confident the Corp will Purge on their next turn, protecting their Archer and potentially screwing up all your *other* Viruses as well. Run the Server, spend 3 to nuke the Archer, and then either complete the run or just Jack Out. Archer is dead and your other Viruses are protected.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS