Photo

Elrond/Legolas/Glorfindel - Your opinions, and ideas.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PaintedHero

PaintedHero

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:21 AM

Hey everyone, so i've only recently built this deck and I wanted to get the communities opinions on it. This deck was mainly created to play with friends, however I do enjoy playing solo from time to time.

The main problems I feel with the deck is draw, and maybe a little bit of consistency in what I draw on setup and being able to play right away. Now that just might be because the card games pool doesn't have much for 1 cost allies and the like but if it can be addressed of if anyone had ideas that'd be great.

Hero (3)
Elrond (SaF) x1
Glorfindel (FoS) x1
Legolas (Core) x1

Ally (20)
Arwen Undomiel (TWitW) x3
Northern Tracker (Core) x2
Gandalf (Core) x3
Trollshaw Scout (FoS) x2
Watcher of the Bruinen (TWitW) x2
Henamarth Riversong (Core) x1
Master of the Forge (SaF) x2
Warden of Healing (TLD) x3
Miner of the Iron Hills (Core) x2

Attachment (13)
Light of Valinor (FoS) x3
Unexpected Courage (Core) x2
Vilya (SaF) x2
Rivendell Blade (RtR) x2
A Burning Brand (CatC) x2
Asfaloth (FoS) x2

Event (17)
Elrond's Counsel (TWitW) x3
A Test of Will (Core) x2
The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core) x2
Will of the West (Core) x2
Feint (Core) x3
Hands Upon the Bow (SaF) x3
Daeron's Runes (FoS) x2

#2 coolguise23

coolguise23

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

Looks like a bunch of lame elves and things. You need get more goods at the deck building I doubt you could even beat the Khaza Dooms with an awesome eagle deck player at your side with this crock. Put mores Gondors in there, and less elves I says.

#3 PaintedHero

PaintedHero

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

coolguise23 said:

Looks like a bunch of lame elves and things. You need get more goods at the deck building I doubt you could even beat the Khaza Dooms with an awesome eagle deck player at your side with this crock. Put mores Gondors in there, and less elves I says.

I hate you Matt.

#4 coolguise23

coolguise23

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Guys you obviouslies does not knows I play with this guyses on the interwebs and he just sucks and play elves and not Gondors.

I do not know your Matts but I bet hes betters then you. 

#5 MajorTRV

MajorTRV

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

Put some TRV in there.

#6 PaintedHero

PaintedHero

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

sigh.. Well there goes that thread.

#7 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Yeah… Why are people so critical on deckbuilding? I love this game, and just because I'm not a super pro at the game doesn't mean that I can't play it just because I enjoy it.  We (or at least I) like this game not because you have to find the very best way to beat every scenario every time without fail, but because it came from The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien's great creation, my favorite book series, and the very reason we have this game in the first place.

I think your deck is very well made.  I don't like the current Gondor cards, and I enjoy playing the Elves just as much as I do playing powerful Dwarf decks.  Legolas is my favorite hero, and he's saved me in a lot of bad situations.  I think maybe take the Will of the Wests out and and a Blade of Gondolin for Legolas.  And maybe add one Hasty Stroke just to be safe.  

Also, if you're having problems with card draw, maybe take some things out in replace for an Imladris Stargazer or two, and maybe even consider Word of Command or Gandalf's Search if you need one specific card. As for your starting hand during setup… I don't know.  Maybe add more copies of the card you want at the beginning, and then because you have Elrond to pay for any allies stick in Erestor to filter out all the useless unique cards left in your hand.  

One more thing.  Why do people even try to criticize a deck if they can't even spell words right or speak correctly?  I don't know if you guys have heard or not, but "Obviouslies" or "Guyses" aren't even words.

And just for the record, I think this deck has a very good chance at beating the Khazad Dúm quests, especially solo.  Eagles can't fly in Moria, which is a mine, so of course it wouldn't have a chance with an Eagles deck, because the eagles would only serve as a hindrance.  And I have no idea where "Khaza Dooms" is.  

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#8 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

The deck is not bad, but it doesn't fully use Elrond's ability to pay for allies from another sphere. If you have Elrond and Vilya, you shouldn't hesitate to include high cost allies. Gildor Inglorion for example is not only an elf, but also helps to increase the power of Vilya. The same goes for Imladris Stargazer.

I'm not sure what the two tactics elves are doing in this deck. Without additional card draw, they can't do much without being discarded. I'd suggest to send them home and to use Gildor (and possibly Mirkwood Runner) instead. That'd also mean that you need some Songs of Wisdom.

Btw: Miner of the Iron Hills is not an elf in disguise!

#9 legolas18

legolas18

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

Well, the miner is crucial because he's currently the only one that can discard those nasty attaching treacheries, like Caught in a Web and Local Trouble.  

Playing an intense scenario, on the last stage, right when you notice you've been playing with two Bofurs the whole time.

#10 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:33 AM

I posted this deck awhile back.  

I put together the following deck for solo play that wins almost every scenario. It's built with 2 cores sets and 1 of every expansion up to and including Heirs of Numenor.  I also posted  scenario scores and some notes on strategy.

Heroes:

1. Glordindel (sp)
  2. Legolas 
  3. Elrond 

Alles: (20)

1. Imladris Stargazer (x2)
  2. Arwen Undomiel (x2)
  3. Defender of Rammas (x3)
  4. Vassal of the winglord (x3)
  5. Master of the forge (x2)
  6. Warden of healling (x3)
  7. Henamarth Riversong (x2)
  8. Gandalf (core) (x3)

Attachments: (15)  I've suggested how I mostly assign the attachments, but a scenario might alter my decisions

1. Light of Valinor (x3) attach to Glorfindel
  2. Unexpected Courage (x2) attach to Legolas and Elrond
  3. Rivendell Blade (x2) attach to legolas 1st and the other to Glorfindel
  4. Blade of Gondolin (x2) attach to legolas 1st and the other to Glorfindel
  5. Horn of Gondor (x1) attach to Elrond
  6. Asfaloth (x2) attach to Glorfindel
  7. Burning Brand (x1) attach to elrond
  8. Vilya (x2) attach to elrond

Events: 

1. The Galadhrims's Greeting (x3)
  2. A test of will (x3)
  3. Elronds Counsel (x3)
  4. Feint (x3)
  5. Foe-hammer (x3) for card draw

Total: 50

The attachments on the heros are key, and if you get master of the forge in play it will happen faster.  Light of Valinor needs to be on Glorfindel early in the game, then he and Elrond are your main questers. The stargazer/vilya combo takes a number of rounds to get going, if it happens at all, but if you can get an unexpected courage on Elrond with vilya/stargazer then he can still quest and pull in an ally later in the round. Elrond with Vilya also adds the spirit icon to him ,so that will help play the Galhadrhim's greeting when needed.   Getting the Defender of Rammas in play early is also important, so Elrond can quest without having to defend.  With Asfaloth on Glorfindel and Legolas with a Blade of Gondolin.  You will be adding plenty of progress tokens on locations..  I also like to get a blade of gondolin on Glorfindel, and give both him and Legolas a rivendel blade= - 4 shields for an enemy and 4 progress tokens  on the active location or the quest.  The warden of healing comboed with Elrond will remove two points of damage from two characters, so your heroes and some of your 2 pt allies like Arwen will be sticking around.  Also, Arwen and the defender of rammas ar great togehter. He gets 5 shields with her in play.  The deck also has some threat reduction, treachery and attack cancelation.  Not great on card draw.  Foe hammer and gandalf are the only options.  Resouce production is also a little slow, Horn of Gondor is ok, not essential, but it was the only way I could find a way to get more resources to elrond.  He is the most resource stressed hero since he is also paying for allies of other spheres.  

It's a pretty fun deck, and it can go a lot of different directions.  My strategy is always a little differnet based on what cards I'm dealt, but it's pretty adaptive and does not need to rely on just one strategy to succeed.  It's not the perfect deck for all scenarios,  modifications were necesary for a few quests, and a few it might not work at all, but won 18 out of 22 of the quests (82%) with no modification, and it beat 21 of the  22 (95%) quests with some modification.  This does not include  hobbit scenarios and laketown.  Not perfect, but pretty darn good for a bunch of elves.

'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#11 PaintedHero

PaintedHero

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

legolas18 said:

Yeah… Why are people so critical on deckbuilding? I love this game, and just because I'm not a super pro at the game doesn't mean that I can't play it just because I enjoy it.  We (or at least I) like this game not because you have to find the very best way to beat every scenario every time without fail, but because it came from The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien's great creation, my favorite book series, and the very reason we have this game in the first place.

I think your deck is very well made.  I don't like the current Gondor cards, and I enjoy playing the Elves just as much as I do playing powerful Dwarf decks.  Legolas is my favorite hero, and he's saved me in a lot of bad situations.  I think maybe take the Will of the Wests out and and a Blade of Gondolin for Legolas.  And maybe add one Hasty Stroke just to be safe.  

Also, if you're having problems with card draw, maybe take some things out in replace for an Imladris Stargazer or two, and maybe even consider Word of Command or Gandalf's Search if you need one specific card. As for your starting hand during setup… I don't know.  Maybe add more copies of the card you want at the beginning, and then because you have Elrond to pay for any allies stick in Erestor to filter out all the useless unique cards left in your hand.  

One more thing.  Why do people even try to criticize a deck if they can't even spell words right or speak correctly?  I don't know if you guys have heard or not, but "Obviouslies" or "Guyses" aren't even words.

And just for the record, I think this deck has a very good chance at beating the Khazad Dúm quests, especially solo.  Eagles can't fly in Moria, which is a mine, so of course it wouldn't have a chance with an Eagles deck, because the eagles would only serve as a hindrance.  And I have no idea where "Khaza Dooms" is.  

Thanks for your feedback, it's best to ignore the other posters before you as it was friends that I play with here locally just being idiots.  I like your suggestions to add/remove from the deck i'm going to have to play around with it a little bit to get it where it is.  The reason I really enjoy this combo is not just because they are some of my more favorite characters in the universe, I just really enjoy the dynamics of the 3.

leptokurt said:

The deck is not bad, but it doesn't fully use Elrond's ability to pay for allies from another sphere. If you have Elrond and Vilya, you shouldn't hesitate to include high cost allies. Gildor Inglorion for example is not only an elf, but also helps to increase the power of Vilya. The same goes for Imladris Stargazer.

I'm not sure what the two tactics elves are doing in this deck. Without additional card draw, they can't do much without being discarded. I'd suggest to send them home and to use Gildor (and possibly Mirkwood Runner) instead. That'd also mean that you need some Songs of Wisdom.

Btw: Miner of the Iron Hills is not an elf in disguise!

I knew someone would notice me not playing some of the higher costing allies. I felt like if I got stuck with them in my hand right away it would really just suck.  However I'm going to definately have to play around more with the card choices I've done.  As far as the miner of the iron hills goes, I wish there was an elvish version however I just find his ability to be too useful in most quests. Some of those treachery attachments can ruin a clear runthrough of a quest. As for the tactics elves, they are in for cheap block/attackers when i need them.  Usually i'll have 1 or 2 extra unique attachments (light of valinor) in my hand so I usually discard those. Plus with the spirit recurssion card I can get everything back if I really needed too.

Tracker1 said:

I posted this deck awhile back.  

I put together the following deck for solo play that wins almost every scenario. It's built with 2 cores sets and 1 of every expansion up to and including Heirs of Numenor.  I also posted  scenario scores and some notes on strategy.

Heroes:

1. Glordindel (sp)
  2. Legolas 
  3. Elrond 

Alles: (20)

1. Imladris Stargazer (x2)
  2. Arwen Undomiel (x2)
  3. Defender of Rammas (x3)
  4. Vassal of the winglord (x3)
  5. Master of the forge (x2)
  6. Warden of healling (x3)
  7. Henamarth Riversong (x2)
  8. Gandalf (core) (x3)

Attachments: (15)  I've suggested how I mostly assign the attachments, but a scenario might alter my decisions

1. Light of Valinor (x3) attach to Glorfindel
  2. Unexpected Courage (x2) attach to Legolas and Elrond
  3. Rivendell Blade (x2) attach to legolas 1st and the other to Glorfindel
  4. Blade of Gondolin (x2) attach to legolas 1st and the other to Glorfindel
  5. Horn of Gondor (x1) attach to Elrond
  6. Asfaloth (x2) attach to Glorfindel
  7. Burning Brand (x1) attach to elrond
  8. Vilya (x2) attach to elrond

Events: 

1. The Galadhrims's Greeting (x3)
  2. A test of will (x3)
  3. Elronds Counsel (x3)
  4. Feint (x3)
  5. Foe-hammer (x3) for card draw

Total: 50

The attachments on the heros are key, and if you get master of the forge in play it will happen faster.  Light of Valinor needs to be on Glorfindel early in the game, then he and Elrond are your main questers. The stargazer/vilya combo takes a number of rounds to get going, if it happens at all, but if you can get an unexpected courage on Elrond with vilya/stargazer then he can still quest and pull in an ally later in the round. Elrond with Vilya also adds the spirit icon to him ,so that will help play the Galhadrhim's greeting when needed.   Getting the Defender of Rammas in play early is also important, so Elrond can quest without having to defend.  With Asfaloth on Glorfindel and Legolas with a Blade of Gondolin.  You will be adding plenty of progress tokens on locations..  I also like to get a blade of gondolin on Glorfindel, and give both him and Legolas a rivendel blade= - 4 shields for an enemy and 4 progress tokens  on the active location or the quest.  The warden of healing comboed with Elrond will remove two points of damage from two characters, so your heroes and some of your 2 pt allies like Arwen will be sticking around.  Also, Arwen and the defender of rammas ar great togehter. He gets 5 shields with her in play.  The deck also has some threat reduction, treachery and attack cancelation.  Not great on card draw.  Foe hammer and gandalf are the only options.  Resouce production is also a little slow, Horn of Gondor is ok, not essential, but it was the only way I could find a way to get more resources to elrond.  He is the most resource stressed hero since he is also paying for allies of other spheres.  

It's a pretty fun deck, and it can go a lot of different directions.  My strategy is always a little differnet based on what cards I'm dealt, but it's pretty adaptive and does not need to rely on just one strategy to succeed.  It's not the perfect deck for all scenarios,  modifications were necesary for a few quests, and a few it might not work at all, but won 18 out of 22 of the quests (82%) with no modification, and it beat 21 of the  22 (95%) quests with some modification.  This does not include  hobbit scenarios and laketown.  Not perfect, but pretty darn good for a bunch of elves.

I like what you did with this deck, when I get the full card pool I'm definately going to try this guy out!  Of course I'll have to make a few modifications for my playstyle.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS