Photo

When does Power/Favour move towards equilibrium?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jericho

Jericho

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:11 AM

Hello everyone,

I skimmed through all my rulebooks and can't find the entry where it is specified when this occurs, Beginning of turn phase or End of turn phase?

I would think beginning of turn, since otherwise, it gives a +1 boost to a Priest's equilibrium! (Priests casts prayer, puts favour tokens on it, end of turn = the priest gets to put one more on the prayer card right away)

Any help or pointers would be appreciated, 

Thanks !

———
The time of change has come!

#2 Kartigan

Kartigan

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Power and Favour move toward equilibrium during the End of Turn step.  However, Priest's blessings draw Favour from the Priest during the Beginning of Turn step.  So even though the priest would get 1 favour at the end of his turn, it wouldn't be applied to the blessing until the start of the next one.

I know that is right, but I don't have a page reference off the top of my head.  I can try to find one if you like.

#3 Jericho

Jericho

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

Hm. Seems fiddly to me.

But thanks for the info!

Where does it say that prayers draw available power in the Beginning of turn phase, though? :)

———

#4 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 761 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:50 AM

I think favour goes onto blessings instantly when aquired.

In the Player's Guide on page 121, under the Equilibrium heading this can be found: "During the end of turn phase, a character whose current favour is less than his equilibrium gains one favour".

A bit further down, in the example text: "Erich now has 0 favour, and during his end of turn phase he gains 1 favour, bringing him to 1 favour and closer to the equilibrium. This favour us also immediately applied to the blessing, so Erich is back to 0 favour."

The rule about favour beeing applied instantly can also be found on page 119 in the same book, in an example about the Divine Perserverance blessing. "As soon as the 4th favour was available, it would be claimed by Divine Perserverance and the blessing would resolve."

#5 Jericho

Jericho

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:41 AM

Thanks k7e9 for the page number.

So Priests really get an advantage after all, only their prayer would resolve in the End of turn phase.

Or one could rule that the End of turn phase and the Beginning of turn phase are just for metagame maintenance and not actual in-story action. That will be my ruling. Only in the middle of one's turn, let's call it the Action and manoeuvres phase, can Actions and manoeuvres be used. Simple, clean, does what it says it does.

So to put it plainly, in the End of turn phase the Priest Player puts a Favour token on his Order card.

Next turn, when the Action and manoeuvres phase kicks in, the active Prayer instantly takes the Favour point and resolves, if it has enough Favour.

That brings us almost exactly to where Kartigan was, but feels easier to remember for me. When rules are well streamlined and concepts clear, it makes for easier memorization. Beginning and End are metagame, Action and manoeuvre is where everything comes to life.

———

#6 Kartigan

Kartigan

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

That is interesting, that is a change from what is in the core rules.  The Tome of Blessings states on page 32 that it draws in the Beginning of Turn phase.  So, maybe they changed that for the Player's Guide?

*Edit* Heh, FFG and their rules inconsistencies.  The example on page 32 of the Tome of Blessings says the blessing can claim the favour as soon as it becomes available, but on the same page it states that "On the character's next turn, during his Beginning of Turn phase, a previously invoked blessing that still requires additional favour will automatically draw any new favour generated until it has satisfied the blessing's requirement, or until there is no more favour to draw."   I guess you can just do whatever you want reir.

#7 Kartigan

Kartigan

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

Curse this stupid forum software and its lack of an edit button…..

I found in the Player's Guide on page 119 where it explains that it works basically just as you are doing it.  It states that Favour only moves onto the blessing during the player's Beginning of Turn phase and Action Phase, and specifically mentions that it does NOT move there during the End of Turn phase, nor does it ever go there during another player's turn.  

#8 USP45

USP45

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

To summarize what everyone said already:

At least in my Player's Guide, the rule and the example contradict each other.  

On p.119 Any favour generated during a character’s End of Turn Phase or during another player’s turn is stored by the character, and only applied to the blessing during his next Beginning of Turn Phase.

The example on p.121 immediately funnels the favour to the blessing during the End of Turn phase.

I personally think it makes more sense and is easier to track by discarding the example and doing what the rule actually says.  i.e. Generate the extra favour (for equilibrium) during End of Turn but hold onto it until the next Beginning of Turn.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS