• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Spells.dk

Spells.dk

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

Hey all you DH fans out there.

This one is for everyone with windows devices ( more specific Wp7 , Wp8 , and Win8 / WinRT ) I have been playing roleplay games for quite a while, and im quite a bit into windows devices. I have a windows phone 7 and a windows 8 tablet. And i was missing an app to manage my characters (Notepad is not that great) … So instead of waiting ages for official apps i made one my self…

Windows phone version:

http://www.windowsph...a9-75866d3382af

Windows 8 / RT version:

http://apps.microsof...0a-af393b45563c

The app has character sheets for Dark Heresy (and Dnd 3.5) currently but i'm working on Rouge Trader and Deathwatch aswell … The idea is to gather all you need for haracter handling in the same app … I'm not realy getting mutch feedback on my app, so i would realy like comments !!! Any feed back will be mutch apriciated! Hoping to here from you all :-)

#2 Cymbel

Cymbel

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

I  have Windows7, will this work with that?

#3 Spells.dk

Spells.dk

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Nope sorry… I currently have no app for Desktop Windows 7… Only Windows Phone and Windows 8…

But i'm still thinking about how i could release a Windows 7 version… So there might be one in the future … Currently the plan is as folowed:

Enable "Dnd 4e" Characters

Enable "Rouge Trader" Characters

Enable "World Of Darkness" Characters

Enable "Deathwatch" Characters

And after that i realy don't have anything planed … But planes can change! And i have allot of ideas that i might implement allong the way …

So realy if someone gives me an idea (Eg. I Realy need System "X" could you doo that soon.. Or I need a "???" feature..) then i might change the plans and push that infront …. Currently the plan's are only what i thing would be the most usefull …. And because i play alot of different systems the plan right now is to push in allot of systems in the character app to make it posibil to keep ALL your characters from the different campains and systems in the same app ….

The only other feedback i curently have is "Rouge Trader" Request… And a request for an easy way to switch between characters …

So if soomeone has an idea or request throw in a post :-) …

#4 Steeljaw

Steeljaw

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

It looks interesting and I think very much needed.  But like the other person I run Windows 7 and have no plans to switch to Windows 8 ( I feel it is way to clunky of an interface compared to my Win7 Desktop).  Need a Win7 option and I would consider it.   You should add some kind of graphics to it to make it look appealing.

Is your app something to just input your numbers and store them in a character sheet basically?  It's not a character creator with the options and rules built in right?

#5 Spells.dk

Spells.dk

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

Hi Thaks for your reply :-)

Current the app is (as you guest) mostly a "character sheet"  where you input the numbers etc. But i'm allong with the support for more systems, i'm also slowly adding more and more functionality… The first function i added was a dice roler (Simple but effectice)…
And i'm thinging of adding an initiative tracker aswell. But many someone has a great idea for other features??

Acturaly i dit not add graphics on purpose. Myt thought wat "is not needed" simplisity over style … But maby you are rigth :/ Maby i should just go crasy with some cool pictures etc .. That might increase the looks a bit …

#6 breez

breez

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

The phone app wants access to my location? Why is that necessary?

#7 Spells.dk

Spells.dk

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

Well it's realy not…. But because i have made the app free "And need to pay my developter subscription" i have added advirticement to the app… And for the adds to be relevant for you, the app requests location to better target adds to you …. Thats the why :-)

So what happens if it can't get the location: Nothing at all, the only difference is that the adds it shows are not location based…. So it's realy up to you if it may collect your location…

The privacy description: http://spells.dk/Pri...AppPrivacy.html say it all … (I collect location and send to microsoft advirticement to serve adds.)

The difference for me on the other hand is the ammount of mony i can make on the app. (Location based adds pays better). And currently i only make 1$ per month! So realy it's a time consooming work with little to no payment … Thats why i serve adds :-)

So the more people that allows location the more mony (Just to pay my developer subscription i need 2-3$ amonth) i can get :-)

And just to be clear: I DON'T recive any data at all. So you are totaly safe :-)  

#8 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:00 AM

I too have Windows 7 and don't plan to upgrade (on a non-touchscreen laptop there's no point)

That said, I felt I should mention what I've always felt is the most important aspect of any computer-based character sheet application, and one of the less often used, really should be. That you can save it to a file to load later, or give to someone else. Since it always seems these systems never take in to account that people could create the character using the system, and then just give the file to their GM, for keeping track of characters. Because all too often it seems that I have to resort to using Notepad for that.

So a feature that lets you simply save and load the character sheets, for trading between gaming groups, would be a very handy one if you haven't included it already.

#9 breez

breez

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

Ok, I did not know that about. I saw it pop up when I tried to download other apps and always rejeceted it. Mainly because a) it uses battery power, b) I only use wi-fi for data connections and c) I do not trust microsoft with my location :)

I will upgrade to windows 8 (eventually) and I will try the app then.

#10 Spells.dk

Spells.dk

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

Hi "Blood Pact" Thanks allot for your post!

It realy gave me some great ideas :-) First of all i have already been thinking in that general direction, so the idea is not totaly new to me. What i have done already is added a "file management" page where i gave it posibility to syncronice with sky drive :-) So in that way it's posibil for a GM to plase Players files in the skydrive and then get them into the app from that way ….

But after your post i realize that this is not a verry optimal way… So instead I think i will find a way to more easely get the characters in / out of the app … Currently im thinking of 2 features that might be helfull :-)

1: Adding the posibility to email the files directly to another user would be great :-)

2: Alsow the ability to save the files as images (E.g png files … So that you can send your sheets to people that don't have the SpellsApp ….

To "breez"

Yes not many people know that. It's mainly developers that's aware of it. Users usualy just click Yes or No and don't eaver notice the change. And as i described for users clicking no is just as good as clicking yes :-) Personaly i always allow so that developers can get a bit more money… But the main thing for developers (me any ways)  is getting users to like the apps … Good reviews is the most importat thing :-)

#11 Fenrirdarkwolf

Fenrirdarkwolf

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

Since 2010, I've started a similar project (character generator for Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader and Deathwatch for windows), but not for mobile.

Unfortunately, there's some limitations :

_ Due to a lack of time, I've just implemented the french extensions (with some delay, I've just start Ascension and will add Blood Of Martyrs and Rites of Battle. They're the last published for us). I will add Black Crusade when he'll be translated (in few months)

_ The app is in french. Only. I'll try to adapt the developpement to able the multilanguage, but it's not ready, and far to be.

I'm not a professional developper, so I'll do it in my free time. With 2 little childs (2 years & 1 week), I don't have many time to develop… But my app is ad-free… :D The only web-acess required checks for update…

Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch Character's Generator : w40kcg (Black Crusade, Only War & Dark Heresy v2 planned). In french, for now...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS