• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Xathrodox86

Xathrodox86

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

I have a couple of questions about psychic powers:

1) How many powers can a psyker cat per one turn?

2) It's not entirely clearly stated in the rulebook, but do my PC gain minor psychic powers and normal powers automaticly, when he gains the Psy Rating 1,2,3 etc. traits? I know that I can have the number of pwers equal to my WP bonus, but do I have to buy them, or get them for free?

From what I understand I get one for free, but all the other ones I actually have to buy, right?

3) In the rulebook it says that I don't get additional psy powers, when my WP bonus changes. However, when I reach new Psy Rating levels do I get new powers, or can I have only the ones from Psy Rating 1? While we're at it - if I start my psyker with a WP of 41 (2 powers) and then reach Psy Rating 2 at WP 62, do I get 3 new powers, or just one more, if I get them at all?

Sorry if this sounds like I'm rambling, but the rules in rulebook about psy powers are really unclear, and the errata also dosen't really help with this.

Thanks for your time!

Check out my wargaming blog "It Always Rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust doze of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed.  ;) 

#2 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

1. On any given turn, a PC can only use one instance of a particularly named Action Type (e.g. Standard Attack, Focus Power). FOcus Power (the action for performing any psychic power) is such an action and can only be performed once per turn. Some powers may have caveats written within them.

2. Pretty sure you get those powers for free. Be sure to carefully check how many discipline powers/minor powers it is at each individual psy rating, it changes.

3. At the moment you gain the new Psy Rating you get those powers using your current WB. You gain them in addition to the powers you currently know.

#3 Xathrodox86

Xathrodox86

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:41 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm ok with the psy powers been given for free, however in the rulebook, in psyker's advance scheme, there are possible psychic power adavnces, which let you buy additional powers ("minor psychic power" and "psychic power"). You can buy each several times in fact, on different charcter steps. Now, do they count towards the max power limit a psyker can have (equal to his WP bouns halved up), or are they additional powers, that can be bought separetly? I always tought that when you buy a psy ratin trait, THEN you can buy powers for it separetly. Any toughts?

Check out my wargaming blog "It Always Rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust doze of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed.  ;) 

#4 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

Maybe i"m just rusty on my rules, but where are you getting this idea of maxiumum psychic powers from? You might be misinterpreting something about the number of bonus powers you gain.

When you gain a new Psy Rating, you gain an amount of Minor Powers, possibly a new Discipline, and possibly a new Psychic Power. For example, Psy Rating 2 gives 1/2 WB in Minor Powers. Psy Rating 3 gives 1/2 WB in Minor Powers, 1 new Discipline, and 1 new Power from that Discipline.

These are gained for free at the moment of purchasing Psy Rating.

On top of that, the advancement chart gives the ability to learn new Minor Powers, or new Psychic Powers from known Disciplines. These are beyond what the Psy Rating provides.

Note there is a big difference between Minor Powers and full on Psychic Powers. If I'm wrong and there is a maximum amount of powers you can learn, then its only going to apply to Psychic Powers, not a combination of Minor Powers and Psychic Powers.

#5 Darth Smeg

Darth Smeg

Lord Nitpicker

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:51 AM

About the whole Action-subtype thing, according to the Dark Heresy rules, adjusting for the latest Errata "Making a Focus Power Action is the psychic equivalent of a Standard Attack Action, and counts as such for purposes of determining what else a psyker can do in a round".

The rules in Black Crusade and Only War differ a bit, and there you can indeed manifest several Psychic powers a round, provided they have different Action subtypes. You can also make an attack, and focus a power which isn't an Attack power, but in Dark Heresy, you may only focus 1 power every round, with the sole exception of Resist Posession. (Errata  v3.0, page 9)

Apart from that, he is correct on all counts. You can have as many powers as your XPs and Advance schemes allow. You gain a number of powers for free each time you take a Psy Rating talent, the number being determined by your willpower. The confusing wording just means that if you later increase your willpower, you will not retroactively get another power for free.

Tarald - The Dark Lord of Smeg

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on

My House Rules for using Only War (and more) for Dark Heresy games

#6 Xathrodox86

Xathrodox86

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

I undesrstand, thanks for the tip. That really changes a lot in my player's PC.

So I have one more question - the healer minor power heals up to 1D5 wounds, removing the criticals first. My question is as follows: is the critical damage being removed at 1D5 rate as well, or are they removed at 1 damage per healing, just like normal healing (non-psychic)? If it would be 1D5, then this power is preety OP in my opinion.

#7 Faern

Faern

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

The Healer power removes 1D5 damage regardless of its type.
Do note that you can only use it once on a person per 6 hours, or you will damage him instead.

#8 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

Given the normal healing rates in this system, but the necessity to keep moving, I would say Healer isn't that OP. Its a tool that helps get a party back on its feet and keep going, but isn't going to sustain them for very long.

Pretty sure its also not going to heal lost limbs, just brings em at least back to a point of not being seriously wounded. Where it really shines is when the target is still only heavily wounded, and it brings em up to lightly wounded, thus allowing First Aid to work wonders.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS