Photo

Who's going to be the "Ranger Hero" mentioned at the end of the new "Assault on Osgiliath" article ?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 DevastazioneH88

DevastazioneH88

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

Since HoN came out I've had the idea that we'd be seeing Faramir as the new Hero from the Steward's Fear…I know many of you thought so too. Does this change something ?…And if it doesn't…who's gonna be the new Ranger…???

My first guess would be Mablung (assuming we'll have a Gondor hero)

#2 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

I think it's pretty darn obvious it will be either Faramir or Halbarad. Any other choice would feel pretty… weak.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#3 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Oh, please let it be Faramir!  Oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please………

…. you get the idea…

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#4 DevastazioneH88

DevastazioneH88

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Yeah I thought of Halbarad too but since he'd have the Dunedain trait I reckoned Mablung is the only of the named "Ithilien" ,thus Gondor, rangers not yet released (or announced)…but I would really love to see Halbarad, I've been expeting more dunedain for quite a long time !

#5 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Even tho Faramir is the obvious choice I would still be a little disheartened only because I'd have to wait that much longer for him, theme wise I would have thought he'd be a lock for Drudan Forrest 

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#6 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

It'd be very anticlimactic of them to withhold the character's name in such an obvious way, and then reveal some second-stringer… it's got to be Faramir!

#7 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

on a side note; not terribly satisfied with that seeing stone player card.  I mean its nice that its cheap and can be played regardless of sphere, but  every sphere has a much better/safer way of drawing cards.  Its usefuless is only if you dedicated your deck to controlling or scrying the encounter deck  and could gurantee that 2 or ideally 3 of the cards would net you draw.  Plus you still have to exhaust your hero AND that hero has to be a noble.  I have a tough time imagining this will make it in many decks aside those really stretching for some thematic influence.

wish they would just show us Faramir already so i dont have anything to unnecessarily whine about anymore 

#8 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Pharmboys2013 said:

on a side note; not terribly satisfied with that seeing stone player card.  I mean its nice that its cheap and can be played regardless of sphere, but  every sphere has a much better/safer way of drawing cards.  Its usefuless is only if you dedicated your deck to controlling or scrying the encounter deck  and could gurantee that 2 or ideally 3 of the cards would net you draw.  Plus you still have to exhaust your hero AND that hero has to be a noble.  I have a tough time imagining this will make it in many decks aside those really stretching for some thematic influence.

wish they would just show us Faramir already so i dont have anything to unnecessarily whine about anymore 

Also, I'm glad they made Palantir unique, but… Palantir? Really? is that the less generic title they could come up with? It really takes away from the "uniqueness" of each Palantir. For example, the palantir of osgiliath was huge and could communicate with any of the other Palantiri. Thats a really big darn difference with the other ones, and yet they named the card as a generic object "Palantir". Pfft… It's like having the card "Dwarven Magic Ring". I know they weren't especially named but, man that's dull.

#9 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

This doesn't bother me that much - I'd say the others could be named with the full names. The one that gets used by Denthor is the palantir to me.

#10 Captain Poe

Captain Poe

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

Spoiler alert*

It's been leaked! Its Cordell Walker!

#11 PaintedHero

PaintedHero

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

Captain Poe said:

Spoiler alert*

show the leak!

#12 PaintedHero

PaintedHero

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:04 AM

And then I realized who you were referring to.

#13 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

Rapier said:

This doesn't bother me that much - I'd say the others could be named with the full names. The one that gets used by Denthor is the palantir to me.

What "others"? Once you name something with a generic name, you already cover everything that is that object, and so there's not much point in naming them again each with their own name. It was just a bad move, in my opinion.

#14 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

Gizlivadi said:

Rapier said:

What "others"? Once you name something with a generic name, you already cover everything that is that object, and so there's not much point in naming them again each with their own name. It was just a bad move, in my opinion.

agreed.

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#15 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

Captain Poe said:

Spoiler alert*

Now we are talking about power creep:

"Forced: as long as Texas Ranger is ready, oppononents won't be able to engage you from the staging area".

"Forced: Texas Ranger never exhausts."

Better we get Faramir:

"Forced: You are afraid of jewelry."

Seriously, if it will be Faramir (and it will be Faramir) I hope they'll use his resistance against the power of Mordor and his ability to hide to give him a very low starting threat.

#16 DevastazioneH88

DevastazioneH88

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

So I see everybody's going for Faramir…which implies that after searching for him for…well…for three whole scenarios (he's mentioned in all of them)…we won't get his card and we'll have to wait for three more A.P. ?…I say that'd be harsh…As for his stats/ability I really hope he'll have high quest/low threat…Otherwise Gondor decks will still be impossible to play outside HoN…

#17 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:51 AM

Gizlivadi said:

Rapier said:

I don't know, that seems a bit narrowminded to me. "The Ring" means something specific in the Lord of the Rings without meaning that no other rings can exist - in fact we know others do. However if in conversation Gandalf said "the ring" - it would mean something to everyone round the table. 

Similarly, although the setting contains different Palantirs only one of them is actually avaliable to the free people - who could very easily call it the Palantir. 

If they had access to the others they would be "the Palantir of…" and the first one would probably continue to be called the Palantir.

From our point of view as outsiders we know that other Palantir's exist, but if they were trying to name it for the theme within the world, I don't see what's wrong with it being called that.

You're essentially trying to apply logic to langauge - but we use language in a fluid way.

#18 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:49 AM

Rapier said:

Gizlivadi said:

Rapier said:

I don't know, that seems a bit narrowminded to me. "The Ring" means something specific in the Lord of the Rings without meaning that no other rings can exist - in fact we know others do. However if in conversation Gandalf said "the ring" - it would mean something to everyone round the table. 

Similarly, although the setting contains different Palantirs only one of them is actually avaliable to the free people - who could very easily call it the Palantir. 

If they had access to the others they would be "the Palantir of…" and the first one would probably continue to be called the Palantir.

From our point of view as outsiders we know that other Palantir's exist, but if they were trying to name it for the theme within the world, I don't see what's wrong with it being called that.

You're essentially trying to apply logic to langauge - but we use language in a fluid way.

That was the One Ring. Pretty much the only ring that mattered without having to say its name. In this case, there are seven Palantiri, only seven, and as far as I know none is more important than the others to be called just "The Palantir" (even if one was, it would be the Orthanc one). 

Also, what's that about "only one of them is available to the free peoples"? There were several Palantiri that were available to the free peoples in different places, and some of them were lost or their users corrupted, so it's not really "The" Palantir as you suggest. 

The worst of all is that the card is not called "The Palantir" but rather just "Palantir" which feels rather generic and does not suggest a limited number of them, of which there was, and a very small one.

I'm not trying to adapt logic to "just language". I'm trying to apply logic in a rather finite element-naming system. If it was just language and the way people "name it within their world", we could as well have "Halfling" or "Little one" instead of "Merry" and "Pippin", since Boromir and many other characters used to call them that in the novel.

#19 jc1138

jc1138

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:04 AM

My first thought for the ranger was Halbarad, he is, after all, an "Heir of Numenor" in a sense.  I am hoping we will get a Faramir hero sometime during this cycle and feel it's almost a lock.  And if it is Faramir, I don't mind having to wait for 3-4 more adventure packs (cry me a river, whiners! jk)

Yeah, after seeing that palantir I'm hoping we'll get things like: Palantir of Osgiliath, …of Orthanc, Amon Sul, etc.  I know that in the book the only one's they really used were the Orthanc Stone and one at Minas Tirith, but the game is about possibilities (you can, after all, have a group of heroes with Thorin Oakenshield, Eowyn, and Glorfindel, which doesn't really make perfect sense, lorewise) so why not make a card for the Palantir of Annuminas?  One was kept there in Elendil's day.

That generic palantir is underwhelming to me, especially seeing as it can hit you for 6 threat.  Doesn't mean I won't try using it, and I've been way wrong about judging card's value before.

#20 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

I'd be much more worked up about the playability of the card rather than its specific name but since this is such a lore based game I suppose I see the point.

Another side note on the inevitable Faramir hero…PLEASE let his art be better than his previous iteration.  The leadership ally version didn't look awful; but with the talent of most of the artists illustrating this game, I think they can do far better.  I also agree that he'll be a lock for the spirit sphere with a low starting threat. Kind of hope his stats are better than the ally, or if they're the same let him have an awesome ability. I trust the designers tho

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS