Wyrm

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

Why does Wyrm have an ability to increase its own strength? It can only break subroutines on ICE that has a strength of 0, right?

I always play Wyrm as though you use the ability that gives a piece of ICE -1 Strength as often as you need to get a piece of ICE to 0 strength and then you break the subroutines on that 0 strength ICE with Wyrm. Or, sometimes I use Wyrm to lower the strength of a piece of ICE and then use something like Aurora to break the ICE's subroutines now that it is low enough strength for Aurora to break them, etc.

But am I playing Wyrm wrong? I can't see a reason to increase its strength.

#2 Sportacus

Sportacus

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Rules, pag. 16:

An icebreaker can only interact with ice that has equal or lower strength than the icebreaker.

So BEFORE Wyrm can lower Ice's strength, it MUST first equal its strength.

#3 Darik

Darik

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

AH, very important to note…thank you sir!

#4 Decker1613

Decker1613

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Then why would you use the card. If you have to increase the strength of Wyrm that means that the rest of the card is a waist. Lets say I go against Archer the strength is 6, I have to pay 5 credits to get it up to 6 just to match the strength. Now I have to deal with the subroutines, btw there is 4 of them. I have to to pay 5 more credits to bring Archer's strength to 0 and then I have to pay 3 credits because I just got his strength to zero I can now break the subrotines.  That to me sounds like a waist of credits, why would you use this card? I have been asking this question all day. LOL! Can you answer me it and give a good example of how you would use this card?

#5 Sportacus

Sportacus

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:41 AM

Wyrm is an AI and works with every type of ICE.

Yo can start the work with Wyrm lowering the strenght of an ice and then breake the subs with another ice that can't be pumped.

#6 Decker1613

Decker1613

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

I did not think to use it in conjunction with another card, now it the light just went on and the wheels are now turning in my head. Thank you so much for the help.

#7 Tzeechel

Tzeechel

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

It also works well with Data Sucker and Parasite to trash rezzed ice. 

#8 Decker1613

Decker1613

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Sportacus said:

Wyrm is an AI and works with every type of ICE.

Yo can start the work with Wyrm lowering the strenght of an ice and then breake the subs with another ice that can't be pumped.

So I thought you had to meat the or beat the strength of the card you are incountering? If I use wyrm with Mimic I have to meat the strength of the card first before I go to the subroutines. Yes I bring the strength down with Wyrm, does it stay that way when I use Mimic or does it go back to its orginal strength when I encounter it with mimic. I can't find any where in the rules that state I can use 2 different cards or that if you bring the strength down it stays the same through out. Because there are cards out there that say when you increase the strength it stays that way for the run. ie. Battering Ram " +1 strength for the remainder of this run"  you would think it would say that on wyrm if that is that case.

#9 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Decker1613 said:

So I thought you had to meat the or beat the strength of the card you are incountering? If I use wyrm with Mimic I have to meat the strength of the card first before I go to the subroutines. Yes I bring the strength down with Wyrm, does it stay that way when I use Mimic or does it go back to its orginal strength when I encounter it with mimic. I can't find any where in the rules that state I can use 2 different cards or that if you bring the strength down it stays the same through out. Because there are cards out there that say when you increase the strength it stays that way for the run. ie. Battering Ram " +1 strength for the remainder of this run"  you would think it would say that on wyrm if that is that case.

You have misunderstood how a run works. You, the runner, make the run. So you, the runner, encounter a piece of ice. Then you can use all the tools at your disposal to deal with that piece of ice. You can use multiple cards to interact with the piece of ice you are encountering. But you must follow the rule that an icebreaker can only directly interact with ice if the icebreaker's strength matches the strength of the ice. The strength requirement must be met for each icebreaker individually.

#10 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

So if you were encountering Archer and had both Wyrm and Mimic, you would:

1. Raise Wyrm's strength to 6 (5 credits)
  2. Lower Archer's strength to 3 (3 credits)
  3. Break Archer's subroutines with Mimic

Archer's strength would not reset until you have finished encountering it.

#11 Decker1613

Decker1613

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

Khudzlin said:

So if you were encountering Archer and had both Wyrm and Mimic, you would:

1. Raise Wyrm's strength to 6 (5 credits)
  2. Lower Archer's strength to 3 (3 credits)
  3. Break Archer's subroutines with Mimic

Archer's strength would not reset until you have finished encountering it.

This makes sense to me now. Thank you, I need to see it this way, I also see there is no real difference between using Wyrm and Crypis out side of the fact that crypis takes 5 bits to bring out and 1 MU where Wyrm takes 1 bit to bring him out and it takes up 1 MU.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS