Photo

Question about PIP "Local Trouble" card.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DurinIII

DurinIII

• Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

The card states: "When Revealed: Attach this card to the hero with the highest threat cost without a copy of Local Trouble attached. (Counts as a condition attachment with the text: "When attached hero exhausts, readies, or triggers an ability, raise its controller's threat by 1.")

My hero who has the highest threat happens to be Beorn. Beorn states, "cannot have attachments." Does this mean the card is simply discarded? Or, is there a distinct difference between "player attachment cards" and "encounter deck condition attachment cards?" I am quite confused on this one. Thanks!

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,774 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

hey

i seem to remember somewhere that he couldnt have things like the watchers tentacles on him…not sure if it was ever changed or not, so id say no, he cant

perhaps it goes to the next available? then again im just guessing

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

Im pretty sure you cannot attach it to Beorn, do you just chooce other hero with a next high threat level

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#4 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

I am sure that you cannot attach it to Beorn, but that doesn't means it is discarded.

It means that it goes to the next eligible targetPublish

Carlos José Matos

#5 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

CJMatos said:

it goes to the next eligible targetPublish

agree with that.

#6 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

I wasn't sure about this either, so I asked Caleb. Here is his answer:

Hi Jörg,
Because Beorn cannot have attachments, he is not a legal target for Local Trouble so you will have to choose a different hero to attach it to. For example, if your heroes are Beorn, Theoden, Hama and Local Trouble is revealed, you would have to attach it to Theoden. If another Local Trouble is revealed, then you would have to attach it to Hama.
Cheers,
Caleb

And I had so much hoped to make this scenario a bit easier...

Edited by leptokurt, 23 April 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#7 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

He does make it a bit easier - if you draw local trouble 3 times you get to discard the 3rd :P

#8 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

By the strict language on the cards it should be discarded. Obviously we've entered into another loophole black hole from which logic can never escape.
"I will not be released in the second quarter!" - Nalir the Dwarf

#9 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

There is no "if able" wording, so the card goes on highest threat non-immune target available.

#10 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

There is no "if able" wording, so the card goes on highest threat non-immune target available.

Why non-immune? The way I see it, the Local Trouble targets the hero with the highest threat - Beorn. Beorn can't have attachments. Card should not get redirected because there is no language that says it should do so. (Unless there is something in a previously published FAQ that I'm missing.)
  • The_Big_Show likes this

#11 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

Why non-immune? The way I see it, the Local Trouble targets the hero with the highest threat - Beorn. Beorn can't have attachments. Card should not get redirected because there is no language that says it should do so. (Unless there is something in a previously published FAQ that I'm missing.)

Having to choose a legal target for effects is one of the core rules in the rule book - Beorn (like other characters with the immune to rule) isn't a legal target.

There's no system in the game that lets you say local trouble targets Beorn and fails, because it can't even target. If we had a response card that said, target character becomes immune to attachments that would work (local trouble targets a hero, then the hero in response is now immune to attachments so it's discarded).

Which isn't a bad idea for a card by the way.

• Glaurung likes this

#12 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:19 AM

Because common sense. When Local Trouble is revealed, it's radar is turned on and searches for fittest target. And the thing is - Beorn isn't even on the radar. Because he is immune.

#13 alogos

alogos

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

Absurd logic :

If you can choose Beorn as a target for local trouble, you could play Thror's Key on an immune location and you would discard Thror's Key.

Or you could play Hands Uppon the Bow on an immune enemy and the only effect would be to lose 1 ressource and exhaust one character.

#14 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

Because common sense. When Local Trouble is revealed, it's radar is turned on and searches for fittest target. And the thing is - Beorn isn't even on the radar. Because he is immune.

That I'll buy.

#15 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

Having to choose a legal target for effects is one of the core rules in the rule book - Beorn (like other characters with the immune to rule) isn't a legal target.

There's no system in the game that lets you say local trouble targets Beorn and fails, because it can't even target. If we had a response card that said, target character becomes immune to attachments that would work (local trouble targets a hero, then the hero in response is now immune to attachments so it's discarded).

Which isn't a bad idea for a card by the way.

Oh boy, I'd glue that card to my hand to be able to play it whenever I want! :ph34r:

#16 Demoncow

Demoncow

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

He does make it a bit easier - if you draw local trouble 3 times you get to discard the 3rd :P

Only 2 in the deck, genius.

Demoncow: He who takes off like a llama when the need arises.

#17 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:09 PM

Kick Local Trouble's butt - include only Beorn in ur deck. Secrecy Beorn deck ftw.

#18 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:01 AM

My interpretation of the Local Trouble scenario is the following:

In west Pelargir born and raised
On the playground where I spent most of my days
Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool
And all shooting some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
And said you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Belfalas

Thats why LT clearly should target Beorn and be discarded afterwards!

#19 Pericles

Pericles

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

My interpretation of the Local Trouble scenario is the following:

In west Pelargir born and raised
On the playground where I spent most of my days
Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool
And all shooting some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
And said you're moving with your auntie and uncle in Belfalas

Thats why LT clearly should target Beorn and be discarded afterwards!

Airtight logic is airtight.  I approve!

On an unrelated topic, did you see that the NM packs are coming out for the Mirkwood cycle?  I can't wait to get my hands on those fresh prints!

Edited by Pericles, 25 April 2014 - 02:36 PM.

"Chug... Chug... Chug..."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS