X-Wing Vassal Tournament

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

I will be running an X-Wing Vassal Tournament that begins February the 18th.  This is a chance to play against people from all over and test your skills.  For more information, and the rules for the event go here.  

http://teamcovenant....sal-tournament/

#2 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

I thought I would post the rules to the event here as well.  Please let me know if you have any questions.  The Tournament begins February 18th.  Here’s how things will break down.

What you will need:

• Here’s the latest version of Vassal
  • Here’s the current version of the X-Wing Game which is 4.0
  • A Quick Reference Guide for the X-Wing Vassal Module.
  • The rules and the current FAQ for the game
  • Time to play.
For those of you who are interested but haven’t ever played on Vassal, I will post a basic tutorial on how to set up Vassal and how to pre build your squad before your match.  If you have any questions or need help getting set up, please let me know, and I’ll do what I can to help you get started.

How To Enter:

Please email me at mrfroggies@gmail.com to let me know that you are signing up.  Please include your time zone, and city your from as I will try to make the first round pairing a little easier based on location.  Posting comments in the blog is not an official sign up.

The Rules:

This will be a 4 round Swiss style event.  You will have one week to contact your opponent and play your match.  If you just can’t find a time to meet up and play I will allow players to play via email.  The first 2 rounds you will play with just wave 1 ships, and the last 2 rounds will be open to Wave 1 and 2 ships.  You will also play 2 rounds as a Rebel and 2 rounds as an Imperial player.  If in the first round you play as the Rebels, then in the second round you will play as the Imperial, then in the third round you will switch back to Rebel, and in the 4 round you will finish as the Imperials.  This tournament will test your pilot skills with both List making, and Piloting, as you will need to make lists for both sides.  I will be diviating from the offcial FFG Tournament rules so here’s the break down of how the event will be run.

Squad Building:

• Before the start of each round you will be informed if you will be playing the Rebels or the Imperials.  There will be no Mirror Matches in this Tournament. After the first round you will switch to the opposite side for the next round.
  • The maximum squad points for each list will be 100pts.  A squad cannot exceed that amount, but you may have fewer points

Squad Deployment in Vassal:

• Each player sets up all his ships and movement pieces outside the map.  The rest of the players cards, upgrades, and dials will be placed in their hands (The X-Wing Vassal FAQ will explain that if you don’t know).  Make sure your ships are numbered and labeled clearly.
  • Players determine initiative.  Initiative goes to the player with the lowest squad point total.  If both players have the same point total, then they will roll for it.  Each player will roll 3 attack dice, and the winner is the one with the most hits.  Treat focus as a blank, and critical hits are just regular hits.
  • Each player picks 3 different Asteroid tokens and sets them outside of the Map area.  Then each player takes turns placing the Asteroids starting with the player who won initiative.
  • Players place their ships in Ascending order of Pilot skill as per standard X-Wing Rules.

End of Match:

Each match will end in one of the following 4 ways.

• All of one players ships are destroyed.  We will be ignoring the simultaneous attack rule if both players are down to there last ship, and they have the same pilot skill level.  If pilot A attacks and destroys pilot B then the game ends, and pilot B doesn’t get there last attack.  The player with at least one remaining ship earns a match win.
  • If at the end of 15 rounds of play, and both players have ships remaining in the play area, then the player who the highest squad point value receives a modified match win.
  • Conceding the match.  If one of the players can’t make it to the match, or during the course of the game find that they have no reasonable chance to win, they may concede the match.  The player who concedes gets a modified match lose and there opponent gets a Modified Match win
  • No match takes place.  If no game is reported, it will be concedered a draw and both players will be rewarded 25pts.

Scoring the Match:

Scoring the match will be very different then the standard FFG rules.  We will not be using the match win equals 5 pts, modified win equals 3 pts etc.  Instead your points will be based on the squad point value of your opponent.  If you destroy all of your opponents ships and they had a 100 point squad, then you would receive 100 points for your win.  They would receive the number of points in ships that they have destroyed.

For matches where one player concedes the game.  The losing player receives 30 points and the winning player receives 70 points.

Players may receive additional bonus points for the following in game achievements.  Players are not eligible for achievements if the game was conceded.

• The Iron Man – Win match without losing a ship (+10pts)
  • Squadron Elite – Win match without taking damage (+25pts)
  • The Nail Biter – Finish match with a single hull point left (+5pts)
  • The Sniper – One shot kill. The ship loses all it’s hull points in one attack. (+10pts)
  • Forced Retreat – Ion gunning an enemy ship off the map (+10pts)
  • The Rock – Ion gunning an enemy ship into an asteroid for the kill (+10pts)
  • Chain Lightning – Defeating all your enemy ships in a single round (+20pts)
  • Can’t Touch This – Successfully evade three attacks in one turn (+5)
  • Mine Your Path – Successfully Destroy a ship with a mine token (+10)
  • Mine Games – Successfully hit 3 or more ships with one mine token (+10)

Recap:

• All signups must be submitted by Sunday February the 17th. The first round pairings will be posted on Monday, February 18th.
  • You will have 1 week to complete your match and turn in your results.
  • Pairings will be done in a Swiss-style, with Strength of Schedule affecting matchups.
  • The results of the game must be reported by the winner to mrfroggies via email.
  • All questions, disagreements, or potential problems must be reported to mrfroggies for proper resolution.
  • Have fun! May the Force be with you.

#3 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

With the announcement only being up for a short time, I'm very close to half way to my goal of 20 players in this event.  I've had several people sign up today, and I know of several others who want to join in, but just haven't sent me there confirmation.  If you've looked at this and you might be interested, but just haven't played on vassal.  I'll be posting a tutorial soon, to help people get started.  

#4 Lemurr

Lemurr

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Some kind of tutorial will be very helpful. I'm trying to convince a few players from Poland to take part in this event, but honestly, we have no idea what to do with all that stuff in Vassal xP If you can write about it, step by step, i belive that a few of us will be glad to play with Pilots from other countries ;)

#5 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

I'll have something posted soon.  

#6 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

Lemurr said:

Some kind of tutorial will be very helpful. I'm trying to convince a few players from Poland to take part in this event, but honestly, we have no idea what to do with all that stuff in Vassal xP If you can write about it, step by step, i belive that a few of us will be glad to play with Pilots from other countries ;)

I posted this for helping people get setup on Vassal.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=254&efcid=6&efidt=783261

You can also look at this at a A Few Maneuvers: http://www.afewmaneu...ing/vassal.html

Plese let me know if you need any help, I would be happy to assist you in getting going.

#7 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

Registration is still open until Sunday night, so there's plenty of time to sign up.  As of now I have a dozen players signed up, with several more people I'm waiting to hear back from.  I think there's a good chance of reaching my goal of 20 players.

#8 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

There are 15 people signed up currently. There's still 2 days left to jump in and play.

#9 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

I am ready too, I am situated in Denamrk though, so I don't know how that will work with the time difference

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#10 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

Forensicus said:

I am ready too, I am situated in Denamrk though, so I don't know how that will work with the time difference

That should be Denmark :-)

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS