Board Size

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ososober

ososober

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hi guys, does anyone else have any probelms with the size of the board?

Im playing on a eight seat dining table and with the main board out there is no room for the expansions, (dungeon, highland and the city)  

does anyone else have this problem? if yes how do you overcome it?

i also do have a copy of 2nd ed talisman, the boards on that is much smaller and easier to use, 

#2 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

ososober said:

Hi guys, does anyone else have any probelms with the size of the board?

Im playing on a eight seat dining table and with the main board out there is no room for the expansions, (dungeon, highland and the city)  

does anyone else have this problem? if yes how do you overcome it?

i also do have a copy of 2nd ed talisman, the boards on that is much smaller and easier to use, 

If you play at home, you'll always have this problem. Play on the floor or find a bigger table.

#3 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

We have an old cherry wood table for 8. It is almost wide enough - about a half inch hang over on each end. But we make it work.

#4 evilmg

evilmg

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

We've never played on a table. Never. Since we were kids always floor.

Good old times :) Summer holiday, 4-5 players, 3 characters for each player, and loooong Talisman sessions. 2nd edition.

#5 danskmacabre

danskmacabre

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

We have the highlands exansion and we play Talisman on a large picnic table in a dedicated games room.

However this week I'm buying 2 large pieces of MDF board and am going to cover them with cloth, then place them over a couple of smaller tables, so I have a very large gaming surface.

It'll be big enough for Talisman, Descent and any RPGs I run.

Other than that, yeah if we play in the living room say, we play on the floor.

#6 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

We've debated some sort of board, but the cherry wood dining table (been in the family for years) is very long and we have plenty of room on the ends for our playing areas, plus the NPCs and various decks and their holders.

#7 vslimm

vslimm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

We ran into the same challenge, our round 4 seat table was way too small. We went up to Home Depot this week-end with intentions of buying some kind of board. I measured before we went, think it was 38 by 49 for size needed. Once we got there I realized we could not get a whole piece in the car. Started thinking we could get some pine boards and then tape them together with packing tape. Started adding it up and it came out to almost 50 bucks. Happened across some laminate flooring on sale for 20 bucks. It actually works perfect for the game. Only needed one package, it's length of 50 inches is almost perfect, the eight planks snap together with an inch to spare on width. We got 12 mm tickness, and the gloss wood finish is awesome to play on and roll dice.  Once the game is done, we unsnapped the boards and put them back into the box. Wish it was not so wide, we could store unfinished games under the couch.

#8 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

This sounds like a great fabrication. I'm going to have to look at that. My cherry wood table is right under that 38 inches, which should be accurate/correct. I did that measurement too.

I was going to mention those board/cardboard "cutting boards, that you can get at Jo-Anne's (Fabric Stores?) for about 8 bucks or so. They are 36" by 60", which sadly, is 2 inches short on the width, which is why I didn't purchase. I thought about buying two of them, and then seaming them together to create the preferred 40 inch or so width.

Your laminate boads sound like a much better idea.

#9 ososober

ososober

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

we have a 2 yr old so playing on floor not an option :o)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS