Photo

The force was finally with me….(100pt Y-Wing pilot finally has a good game!)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Deadshane

Deadshane

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

What an interesting development….

Played against the local Kessel Run event winner today…he had his force of Howlrunner and 6 tie fighters of various skill levels, obsidians and Academy pilots I beleive.

I had…

Horton Salm
-2xTorp
-Ion Cannon
-R5 Astromech

Dutch Vander
-1xTorp
-Ion Cannon
-R5 Astromech

Gold Squadron
-1xTorp
-Ion Cannon
-R5 Astromech

I"ve in the past had a problem with the Ties screaming into me at maximum speed and being able to pick on a single fighter at short to range 2.  On a 3' board, if you move as slow as you can with your rebels straight ahead, the ties can get you at range 2 on the second turn….so I tried something…

My gold and Dutch skirted my board edge showing his forces my left side of the ships….Horton did just the opposite showing his right and I skirted my board edge…On the second turn, I turned into his forces giving me my 3" range.

He did nothing to me and I managed to knock out an academy pilot with horton, and damage two other ties with the Gold and Dutch…it helped to no end that the gold was able to focus and dutch gave him a lock.  It was a pretty furious first turn of Y fire.

My second turn…horton managed to get the drop on a tie that bumped on of his own…disallowing the orders.  Horton's second torpedo dropped another fighter.  He managed to drop the shields on my gold but I laid out another Tie thanks to the previous turns damage from the torps and 360 degree arc of fire with Ions.  By the time the dogfight properly started, he was down three tie fighters, and I was only down about 4-5 sheilds across my squadron and a couple damage points on my Gold. (one of which was a crit that the R5 healed during upkeep….those droids are GOLD on big hill Y's)

Once I managed to finally drop howlrunner, he had gotten the gold AND Dutch by that time….and it was a race for damage between a sheildless horton and two tie fighters..  but the ties need to get in close was trumped by Horton's 3banks/2turns while he stayed out of arc constantly focusing and blasting away while staying at range 2 with his Ion cannon.

I finally won the game after locking down his last tie with ion shots and parallelling his course from behind.

This game was definatly a turning point for me.  Breaking my long losing streak in X-wing since I've decided to focus on Y-Wing piloting…and against the local kessel run winner no less.

What a great game, good sportsmanship, and I learned a lot.  We'll see if I can keep it up….I doubt it, but I'm hopeful. 

It's just such a wonderful challenge to struggle to make the Y-Wing only force work.  Not bored with it yet!  ;)

You do not need to see how many ships I own.

This is not the signature you are looking for.

Move along.

#2 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:48 AM

Deadshane said:

What an interesting development….

Played against the local Kessel Run event winner today…he had his force of Howlrunner and 6 tie fighters of various skill levels, obsidians and Academy pilots I beleive.

I had…

Horton Salm
-2xTorp
-Ion Cannon
-R5 Astromech

Dutch Vander
-1xTorp
-Ion Cannon
-R5 Astromech

Gold Squadron
-1xTorp
-Ion Cannon
-R5 Astromech

I"ve in the past had a problem with the Ties screaming into me at maximum speed and being able to pick on a single fighter at short to range 2.  On a 3' board, if you move as slow as you can with your rebels straight ahead, the ties can get you at range 2 on the second turn….so I tried something…

My gold and Dutch skirted my board edge showing his forces my left side of the ships….Horton did just the opposite showing his right and I skirted my board edge…On the second turn, I turned into his forces giving me my 3" range.

He did nothing to me and I managed to knock out an academy pilot with horton, and damage two other ties with the Gold and Dutch…it helped to no end that the gold was able to focus and dutch gave him a lock.  It was a pretty furious first turn of Y fire.

My second turn…horton managed to get the drop on a tie that bumped on of his own…disallowing the orders.  Horton's second torpedo dropped another fighter.  He managed to drop the shields on my gold but I laid out another Tie thanks to the previous turns damage from the torps and 360 degree arc of fire with Ions.  By the time the dogfight properly started, he was down three tie fighters, and I was only down about 4-5 sheilds across my squadron and a couple damage points on my Gold. (one of which was a crit that the R5 healed during upkeep….those droids are GOLD on big hill Y's)

Once I managed to finally drop howlrunner, he had gotten the gold AND Dutch by that time….and it was a race for damage between a sheildless horton and two tie fighters..  but the ties need to get in close was trumped by Horton's 3banks/2turns while he stayed out of arc constantly focusing and blasting away while staying at range 2 with his Ion cannon.

I finally won the game after locking down his last tie with ion shots and parallelling his course from behind.

This game was definatly a turning point for me.  Breaking my long losing streak in X-wing since I've decided to focus on Y-Wing piloting…and against the local kessel run winner no less.

What a great game, good sportsmanship, and I learned a lot.  We'll see if I can keep it up….I doubt it, but I'm hopeful. 

It's just such a wonderful challenge to struggle to make the Y-Wing only force work.  Not bored with it yet!  ;)

Good for you! Almost makes me want to buy a third Y-wing. So did you set up along the edges and move straight up, or did you set up in the middle to lure him in, and then break for the edges? I'm just trying to figure out why he would go full-ahead with no opponents in his firing arcs.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#3 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

We recently had a game in which a Y-wing was locked in a 1 on 1 dogfight with a TIE Interceptor.  The Interceptor got completely owned and the Y-wing rejoined the rest of the battle with not a hull point or shield lost!  Many Rabbit Foot upgrades cards I guess!

Enimo Et Fide

#4 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

Wow, three Y-Wings, is amazing, I see one Y-Wing in action, but only in my worst nightmares I could imagine three Y-Wings destroyings TIEs, greettings.

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#5 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

DoubleNot7 said:

We recently had a game in which a Y-wing was locked in a 1 on 1 dogfight with a TIE Interceptor.  The Interceptor got completely owned and the Y-wing rejoined the rest of the battle with not a hull point or shield lost!  Many Rabbit Foot upgrades cards I guess!

the Ywing is nearly undefeatable in a 1v1 situation, thanks to the ion cannon upgrade. up against 1v2 though, the Ywing gets chewed apart most of the time

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS