Expansion 2 Release

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 CPTMcMurphy

CPTMcMurphy

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

One of my local X-wing dealers…. I mean game store owners gave me the heads up that preorders by stores are due early the first full week of February and the expansion is being shipped by the end of the month.  Thank you Fantasy Flight staff for busting your butts to get this out as quick as possible; I don't know how much more time I could have waited.  In March, when I am playing and testing new lists I hope Fantasy Flight starts pushing info on Expansion 3.

#2 Pygon

Pygon

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Come to papa!

These are the ships I'm looking for.

Core/Wave 1: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 8 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Advanceds; Wave 2: 2 YT-1300s, 3 A-Wings, 2 Firesprays, 3 TIE Interceptors

Wave 3: 3 B-Wings, 3 TIE Bombers, 3 HWK-290s, 2 Lambda Shuttles; Imperial Aces: 2 Royal Guard Interceptors, 2 Elite Interceptors

Huge ships: 1 Tantive IV, 2 Transports, 2 alternate X-Wings; Rebel Aces: 1 prototype A-Wing, 1 Elite B-Wing

Wave 4: 3 E-Wings, 6 Z95s, 3 TIE Defenders, 3 TIE Phantoms

#3 Kamaka

Kamaka

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Well thanks for giving me hope.  I still haven't heard anything from my local game store so it probably means FFG still hasn't released an official date.  Plus on this FFG website there is no exact release date posted.  It just says early 2013.  This is why I am skeptical about this news.  It did say in the Millennium Falcon news that is was due for February.  My birthday is on the 5th so I am getting gift certificates and what not from my local game store to be used this month only.  Please FFG let us know when the exact date they will be released so people like me don't waste my certificates on stuff I would consider second choices to xwing.  I don't see why FFG has to be so damn secretive and illusive about publishing a release date more than 2 weeks before the release.  At least video game publishers have the courtesy and common sense to reveal their release date several months in advanced.  That way the consumer can prepare for it and not just sit around and speculate on when a much desired product will reach the shelves.  I just simply don't see the need to beat around the bush about it.  It's just good marketing to release an official release date on these expansions…I mean common man!

#4 Fabs

Fabs

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

Wow, it's almost like they are not in the video game business, and instead in some smaller segment of the gaming industry and subject to all sorts of unexpected supply issues over which they have no control and can't just throw resources at to resolve.

Actually, now I think about it, if it was the video games industry, they would have released the sub-standard product in December just to meet the target date, to ensure metrics were met.

Moans like this make me all nostalgic for the days when they did try to predict release dates accurately, and every change was accompanied by 3 pages of childish rage-quit posts. Happy days.

#5 Panic

Panic

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

yeah,
Fabs, your so enlightened, I'm so happy for you, your just better than us.

I just want to know when I'll recieve stuff I paid for and preordered back in October.
Shame on me.

Panic…

#6 Fabs

Fabs

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

And what, their current answer of aiming for the end of February (the same time frame they have said since the delay late last year) isn't good enough for you? They even have a web page so you can see where in the supply chain it is. All they won't do is commit to a street date, due to variables outside of their control that may affect delivery.

#7 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Panic said:

yeah,
Fabs, your so enlightened, I'm so happy for you, your just better than us.

I just want to know when I'll recieve stuff I paid for and preordered back in October.
Shame on me.

Panic…

I tend to ingnore rants with more than 2 spelling errors anyway.  If you can't put in the effort to check your spelling, I won't put in the effort to care what you have to say :)

#8 paradox23

paradox23

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Actually, FFG is pretty darned good about keeping us up to date on their products. They even have a specific section of the site dedicated to letting you know how it's coming along.

http://www.fantasyfl...ge_upcoming.asp

You can see that a specific item is in developement, when goes to print, then it gets on the slow boat from China, followed by when it gets through customs and is shipping to retailers and distributors, and finally when it is in stores.

FFG doesn't have any control over printing/manufacturing delays, and anyone who has any experience with shipping from China knows that once it hits the US ports, it could be delayed indefinitely for inspection without any explaination. All these things are out of their hands, and they're good about keeping us up to date about it. Once you see that it's passed inspection and on trucks, you know it'll be in stores really soon. 

And if for some truly insane reason you believe FFG wants the products that they've spent so much money licensing, developing, manufacturing, and shipping, you've got to be completely insane. Every week that goes by without these products being sold is hurting their bottom line. As much as we're all going crazy waiting, nobody wants the next wave to get out sooner than FFG.

#9 Stile2112

Stile2112

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

As someone who does ship product in from China on a monthly basis, 20ft or 40 ft containers, hold ups due to customs are not that common.

Of course, there are certain flags that can tigger a delay… IE, LCL (less then container load), but those only delay things by a day or two.

Now don't get me wrong, there are horror stories… but 9 times out of ten it's not related to a problem on the shippers or customs end. It's usually a problem with the freight broker or the customer themselves.

Not to defend China, but they have the whole manufacturing process and international shipping down to a science.

-Stile

#10 LordBone

LordBone

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Now it says they are being released in March in the Upcoming section.

#11 LedZep

LedZep

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

I was desperately looking for a site to pre order 3 tie interceptors (9.99 -they are sold out in most places and miniature markets shipping is like 11 bucks to Puerto Rico ) and I found in one of them (dont remember) that it will ship march 1. So at least one store has an exact date.

#12 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

I think it is quite understandable that people are desperate to get their hands on wave 2 ships.

The problem is that the first pics came up months ago and the Kessel runs were in December for most parts. That's quite a long timespan for people to understand that they are not yet fully released. The Boxes, cards and models are done as people can see on the tube. But producing them in sufficient numbers takes quite some time apparently and if quality of models stays as good as now i have no problem waiting a bit.

#13 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

LedZep said:

I was desperately looking for a site to pre order 3 tie interceptors (9.99 -they are sold out in most places and miniature markets shipping is like 11 bucks to Puerto Rico ) and I found in one of them (dont remember) that it will ship march 1. So at least one store has an exact date.

FFG does not specify release dates. Any store or site giving a date is only speculating.

#14 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

ForceM said:

I think it is quite understandable that people are desperate to get their hands on wave 2 ships.

The problem is that the first pics came up months ago and the Kessel runs were in December for most parts. That's quite a long timespan for people to understand that they are not yet fully released. The Boxes, cards and models are done as people can see on the tube. But producing them in sufficient numbers takes quite some time apparently and if quality of models stays as good as now i have no problem waiting a bit.

Wave 2 ships were on display at GenCon and Celebration last year, so we've known about them practically since the game released.

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#15 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

hothie said:

ForceM said:

Wave 2 ships were on display at GenCon and Celebration last year, so we've known about them practically since the game released.

You could even call it since before the game released if you don't count the convention sales as the game's release.  If I remember right, it didn't show up in stores until a month or so after GenCon.

#16 Kamaka

Kamaka

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

I finally noticed that they released a date for March 2013.  Still no specifics yet and I am anticipating another delay soon.  I guess my certificates and gift cards from my birthday that expire in February will have to go towards card protectors and not a shiny new Millenium Falcon.  :(  It would be nice to know what the source of these delays are instead of keeping us in the dark, and letting us speculate how they possibly can be delayed for several months.

#17 wikkid_devil

wikkid_devil

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Fabs said:

Wow, it's almost like they are not in the video game business, and instead in some smaller segment of the gaming industry and subject to all sorts of unexpected supply issues over which they have no control and can't just throw resources at to resolve.

Actually, now I think about it, if it was the video games industry, they would have released the sub-standard product in December just to meet the target date, to ensure metrics were met.

Moans like this make me all nostalgic for the days when they did try to predict release dates accurately, and every change was accompanied by 3 pages of childish rage-quit posts. Happy days.

Regardless of the product type, this is still poor planning and forecasting.

#18 wikkid_devil

wikkid_devil

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

paradox23 said:

Actually, FFG is pretty darned good about keeping us up to date on their products. They even have a specific section of the site dedicated to letting you know how it's coming along.

You can see that a specific item is in developement, when goes to print, then it gets on the slow boat from China, followed by when it gets through customs and is shipping to retailers and distributors, and finally when it is in stores.

FFG doesn't have any control over printing/manufacturing delays, and anyone who has any experience with shipping from China knows that once it hits the US ports, it could be delayed indefinitely for inspection without any explaination. All these things are out of their hands, and they're good about keeping us up to date about it. Once you see that it's passed inspection and on trucks, you know it'll be in stores really soon. 

And if for some truly insane reason you believe FFG wants the products that they've spent so much money licensing, developing, manufacturing, and shipping, you've got to be completely insane. Every week that goes by without these products being sold is hurting their bottom line. As much as we're all going crazy waiting, nobody wants the next wave to get out sooner than FFG.

If FFG has no control over printing/manufacturing delays they need a new lawyer. Contract penalty clauses are there to ensure that if delays occur it costs the manufacturer with a capital C.

When production delays occur, the customers with penalty clauses in their contracts get bumped to the top of the production list and those without get shuffled down (okay it sucks to be the other guy, but if you want to cut costs on legal expenses, expect to get tucked up by your supplier in favor of the other customers).

I'm sure FFG are as desperate to see the product released as we customers are to have our (looooong awaited) pre orders fulfilled. This doesn't mean that FFG are not responsible for poor planning and forecasting.

#19 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

wikkid_devil said:

paradox23 said:

If FFG has no control over printing/manufacturing delays they need a new lawyer. Contract penalty clauses are there to ensure that if delays occur it costs the manufacturer with a capital C.

When production delays occur, the customers with penalty clauses in their contracts get bumped to the top of the production list and those without get shuffled down (okay it sucks to be the other guy, but if you want to cut costs on legal expenses, expect to get tucked up by your supplier in favor of the other customers).

I'm sure FFG are as desperate to see the product released as we customers are to have our (looooong awaited) pre orders fulfilled. This doesn't mean that FFG are not responsible for poor planning and forecasting.

I don't have any particular stake in defending FFG here, but what makes you think their contract has been particularly nice to the manufacturer over the past few months? Do you know someone in either FFG or their Chinese suppliers?

#20 wikkid_devil

wikkid_devil

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

Vorpal Sword said:

wikkid_devil said:

paradox23 said:

I don't have any particular stake in defending FFG here, but what makes you think their contract has been particularly nice to the manufacturer over the past few months? Do you know someone in either FFG or their Chinese suppliers?

I have no inside knowledge regarding FFG or their suppliers, I'm just talking about the principle of protecting supply chains involving third party manufacturers and maintaining control over manufacturing delays.

These delays may be costing the manufacturer a bomb.

From experience I know keeping your customer base fully informed goes a long way to mitigating complaints arising from delays. 

I understand that retail is very different from my experiences in engineering/logistics, where I would be dealing with clients individually as part of the account management role and not in a public forum like this. However FFG do not seem to have the capability to answer individual queries (via email, or their own contact us facility) in a meaningful amount of time (i.e. within 48 hours) or at all for that matter. If FFG are being swamped with information requests from customers and do not have the resources to deal with them, then perhaps using this forum to provide accurate updates would be more reasonable.

Failing to answer the concerns of their customer base just seems short sighted to me.

Well I'll just wait and see what arrives and when. At the end of the day these are only my opinions, feel free to ignore at your leisure.

As I was once informed by a customer:

"Opinions are like ****holes, everyone has one, I'm only interested in mine".

That put me in my place lol.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS