Misdirection Spell in the City

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Q: How does the Misdirection Spell work in the City Region?

Can the movement be forced counter-clockwise? How about entering shops?

The Spell was cast while I was on the Town Square and then rolled a 4. I could have moved into the Magic Emporium or Soothsayer shop, proceed down the street and enter Armoury, Menagerie or Stables, or land on any Street space down the road.

I think we figured out the situation but I want to share some ideas if possible.

#2 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

The_Warlock said:

Q: How does the Misdirection Spell work in the City Region?

Can the movement be forced counter-clockwise? How about entering shops?

The Spell was cast while I was on the Town Square and then rolled a 4. I could have moved into the Magic Emporium or Soothsayer shop, proceed down the street and enter Armoury, Menagerie or Stables, or land on any Street space down the road.

I think we figured out the situation but I want to share some ideas if possible.

doesn't it say something about Misdirection in the rules for the city?

#3 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Uvatha said:

doesn't it say something about Misdirection in the rules for the city?

Not quite. There's a paragraph clarifying what happens if a card or effect instructs a Character to move counter-clockwise, which results in moving against the arrows.

That paragraph casts doubt on Misdirection Spell in City and we asked each other if it's possible to force a character to move counter-clockwise or force him to go inside a shop.

#4 Gigg

Gigg

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

I was also wondering how the Barmaids ability worked in the city. 

http://www.fantasyfl...-tavernmaid.jpg

#5 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:37 AM

Gigg said:

I was also wondering how the Barmaids ability worked in the city. 

http://www.fantasyfl...-tavernmaid.jpg

In case the outcome of "pour them a drink" is a 4, then you'll be in the same situation as the Misdirection Spell.

However, nobody seems to have any idea. I'll go on playing that such Spells/abilities cannot force a clockwise movement in the City, but they can force the movement in any possible direction. From the Town Square, you can either force movement into Magic Emporium, Soothsayer or Guild Street. In the latter case, if the rolls is 2 or more, what happens after Guild Street is decided by the character as normal.

#6 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

We have played that spells like that overrides the current movement rules. For example, we play with the alternative movement rules in the Dungeon (which we also incorperated into the Highlands), where you only can go down towards the Treasure chamber, unless you chose to turn back.

So if Misdirection would be cast in our Dungeonplays we would treat the Misdirection spell as normal, the caster decides in which direction you move, but if he moves you backwards it is not treated as if you where turning back and on the next turn you can move as normal. 

I would do the same in the City.

#7 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:57 AM

Nidhögg said:

We have played that spells like that overrides the current movement rules. For example, we play with the alternative movement rules in the Dungeon (which we also incorperated into the Highlands), where you only can go down towards the Treasure chamber, unless you chose to turn back.

So if Misdirection would be cast in our Dungeonplays we would treat the Misdirection spell as normal, the caster decides in which direction you move, but if he moves you backwards it is not treated as if you where turning back and on the next turn you can move as normal. 

I would do the same in the City.

In the Inner Region, or in the Dungeon with Fight or Flight alternative rule, there's the option to turn back or flee the Dungeon. The FAQ explains what happens if Misdirection is played in these cases.

In the City moving counter-clockwise is not an option: it is forbidden. Moving counter-clockwise in the City is a good thing, especially in the shop area, as you can re-enter shops. If Misdirection may do this, I wish it to be clarified, if possible.

As I see it, Misdirection in the City is quite useless. You can force a character to enter a shop he doesn't want to visit, but you can't shape the movement between spaces, you only get to choose the direction towards which the movement begins.

#8 Gigg

Gigg

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Ahh yes it would not be a problem if she forces you into a shop except for the fact that you must then do somthing in that shop. So if she misdirects you into the magic emporium and you have 1 gold you must then purchase a scroll unless another charicter is in the square. 

From the Rulebook: If a character enters a shop, he must either encounter the shop or a character in that space. If a character encounters the shop, he must follow the instructions on the space, such as purchasing a card or performing an action. Characters cannot enter a shop and “do nothing.”

This also begs the question of what if a charicter has 0 gold can the barmaid or misdirection still send them into a shop even though they are not able to buy anything in the shop? In which case thier only option is to "do nothing" even though in the rules that is forbidden.

#9 darthmax

darthmax

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:16 AM

What I wanna to know is do you control the whole move with misdirection or just the beginning direction.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS