Did you know…

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 widowmaker93

widowmaker93

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

that you can play A Game of Thrones in an online web-based format for free at www.tradecardsonline.com? There are no downloads to do, it has a built-in deckbuilder,  and the cards are updated monthly as the new Chapter Packs are released. There is nothing for you to do but sign up on the site, then start building a deck and playing. Their features for the gameplay don't have all the bells and whistles of OCTGN, but it's plenty good enough.  So you have no excuses to not at least give the site a shot. If you sign up, put down Widowmaker93 as the reference and I'll greatly appreciate it. Look forward to seeing you guys online!

#2 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Yeah, I always wanted to try that. How many players are there? How likely are you to find an opponent at any given time?

#3 widowmaker93

widowmaker93

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

Yeah there is a fairly decent sized community on there(a good amount of people from overseas as well) and more and more people are signing up every day. I'm trying to get the word out so that people have other options than OCTGN. TCOL has cards with full card art and text normally within a week of new sets being released so no waiting 6months for the goods. Also anyone on a Mac that hates running VMs can play online as well. 

#4 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Having the full uncensored cards is actually problematic. FFG has tolerated OCTGN partly because of the agreement to leave the more recent cards censored. I'd really hate to see anything endanger that… I rely on online play to play several of their games, and my interest (and, by association, purchases) are maintained by the existence of OCTGN. Since we're depending on FFG's sufferance here, I'd really hope the person maintaining TCOL can work out a similar agreement with FFG.

#5 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

I agree that anything happening to OCTGN would be a severe blow to the worldwide AGoT community, driving people from the game left and right. That would be an utter catastrophe. OCTGN is an invaluable tool for knitting together the community and for bringin new players into the game.

#6 trooper6

trooper6

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

I went to TCO to see if I could play a game…but it looks like they've shut down all the GoT forums and there seem to have been no games since February. Any idea what happened? Is there any place to play GoT online if you are a Mac user who isn't going to run Windows virtually?

#7 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

They were releasing the CPs uncensored instantly so FFG rightfully smacked that ass!

#8 Tam

Tam

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

I wrote an iPad version of Game of Thrones and had a group of about 50 play-testers. The Deck Builder I wrote was the most popular part of the app. Slide the cards around on the iPad like you do on a real table, stack them, then save your deck. The next time you opened the deck, the cards would all slide out to the locations where you previously saved them.

I built online play, too, and we had a vew rounds of good testing. It was working great. Full games could be played with it.

I worked with FFG on a way to secure it. I offered to accecpt UPC cut-outs from chapter packs and core sets. I would provide a code to the player who had sent in proof-of-purchase and that would unlock the cards on the iPad. FFG seemed interested in that idea, but in the end I was warned that if my app had "leaked" to the greater population I would be sent a cease-and-desist.

There was no possible way the app could have leaked out. It is tightly controlled by apple and was never in the App store. Only those 50 players in the Beta group could use the app. If they figured out how to copy it off the iPad, it still wouldn't work on another iPad since the serial numbers were part of the App itself!

Anyway, FFG told me they are not going to allow any fan-based apps like the one I wrote for iPad. Done deal. I'm still sad about that. I would have been very happy just to release the Deck Builder, which seems so benign! It wouldn't hurt anything to be able to build decks on your iPad. I even offered to show the player exactly which Chapter Packs and how many they would have to purchase to build the deck in real life.

*Sigh*

#9 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:10 PM

avergonzado_triste

#10 Wolfbrother

Wolfbrother

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

speaking as someone who can',t for the life of me, get octagon to work i could care less if it stops working, FFG just needs to make their own browser for playing online, charge a one time fee (5$?) to access it and boom instant revenue and a more reliable online source for gameplay

#11 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

Wolfbrother said:

speaking as someone who can',t for the life of me, get octagon to work i could care less if it stops working, FFG just needs to make their own browser for playing online, charge a one time fee (5$?) to access it and boom instant revenue and a more reliable online source for gameplay

Really they just need to put a serial code in each chapter pack. You log onto FFG, type in your pack's serial and BOOM, all the cards are in your online library. Simple enough conceptually.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS