Photo

Tech-use and gear that require it (+ other skills)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 .113

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

So… Tech-use..

In order to use a Vox caster, dataslate or auspex, do you need Tech-use?

Also the common (or scholastic lore) for tech mentions knowing some litanies and prayers used to soothe machine spirits. Would that give a bonus? Or allow you to use them? Or it just doesn't do anything?

To use an Auspex it kinda seems you need Tech-use to turn it on and press the right buttons.. However to actually understand what it shows, it seems Scrutiny is used? In the description it mentions being used for that.

When it comes to Demolitions, it seems Tech-use is used. You can use it to make tripwires and all kinds of similar explosive thingies. I would call them "traps" but….

Security skill has the special ability of Traps. Which you, in the example, use to for instance place a handgrenade under a body, rigged to explode.

So, do I need Security to come up with the brilliant idea with the grenade body, and then roll both Security AND Tech-use, or just one of them. Do I need both Scrutiny AND tech-use to use an auspex (and understanding we are not under attack by little green blobs, clearly shown on the screen). If you have tech-use and not the lore for tech, be it scholastic or common, would that seriously offend any techpriest nearby (as you simply use the item as intended without the holy rituals needed) or does it include the minimum prayers necessary to operate them. And if it does, what's the point of the lore skill?

#2 Robomummy

Robomummy

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

.113 said:

So… Tech-use..

In order to use a Vox caster, dataslate or auspex, do you need Tech-use?

Also the common (or scholastic lore) for tech mentions knowing some litanies and prayers used to soothe machine spirits. Would that give a bonus? Or allow you to use them? Or it just doesn't do anything?

To use an Auspex it kinda seems you need Tech-use to turn it on and press the right buttons.. However to actually understand what it shows, it seems Scrutiny is used? In the description it mentions being used for that.

When it comes to Demolitions, it seems Tech-use is used. You can use it to make tripwires and all kinds of similar explosive thingies. I would call them "traps" but….

Security skill has the special ability of Traps. Which you, in the example, use to for instance place a handgrenade under a body, rigged to explode.

So, do I need Security to come up with the brilliant idea with the grenade body, and then roll both Security AND Tech-use, or just one of them. Do I need both Scrutiny AND tech-use to use an auspex (and understanding we are not under attack by little green blobs, clearly shown on the screen). If you have tech-use and not the lore for tech, be it scholastic or common, would that seriously offend any techpriest nearby (as you simply use the item as intended without the holy rituals needed) or does it include the minimum prayers necessary to operate them. And if it does, what's the point of the lore skill?

as for some of the more common equipment such as dataslates and vox casters remember that Imperial technology is generally made so that there is little training required to use it (since many Guardsmen may come from backward or feral worlds). I would say that yes the vox and auspex do need limited knowlage of their function but simpler things are usually built so that using them just requires common sense (which is admittedly beyond the ability of ogryn characters).

As for traps I would say that yes tech is used because they are generally using the devices in ways that they werent inteded for. I would say if they have security they can use that instead of tech use (or vice versa) if they are making a trap. some traps may annoy nearby tech preists but if there is one nearby you can get them to preform the necessary rituals to make the device function. if there are none around then you dont really need to worry about them.

Check out my podcast Buckets Of Dice where myself and a friend review how to start various different kinds of tabletop, roleplaying, and CCG games. http://bucketsofdice.podomatic.com/ Each episode focuses on a new game, we discuss a little about the game's backround, rules, how to start/ what to buy, and a little about the company.  

#3 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

Tech-use should only be used for advanced functionality on devices (for example the Auspex can be used by anyone with a Scrutiny test to understand it's readings, however the Tech-Use option is essentially adjusting the settings to get advanced feedback such as radiological, movement, sonar etc readings out of the Auspex) - so with a regular use the device just improves your perception chances, but with tech-use you can start detecting stuff you couldn't normally, such as radiation) or for advanced devices themselves (MIUs, plasma reactors etc). 
Basically you shouldn't be forcing your players to make Tech-Use tests to turn on a light switch or operate a vox-caster - these are mundane tasks that if push comes to shove can be covered by Common Lore Tech.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#4 .113

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

Hmm, yes I'll have to take it up with our GM, it makes sense and to be honest it was getting a bit annoying. Still my current sergeant has tech-use anyways so wouldn't matter much.

At least now I'll be able to detect radiation and stuff. :P

#5 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

.113 said:

Hmm, yes I'll have to take it up with our GM, it makes sense and to be honest it was getting a bit annoying. Still my current sergeant has tech-use anyways so wouldn't matter much.

At least now I'll be able to detect radiation and stuff. :P

Yeah its key to remember that an Auspex CAN be used by anyone, and merely provides a perception bonus to scrutiny to spot things you are actively looking for (enemies in cover etc).
It really shines when you have Tech-Use as you can then say stuff like "i calibrate the auspex to scan for human sized movement/radiation sources/heat signatures" etc and this gives you a realy edge over conventional means of searching.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#6 .113

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:55 AM

I'll make sure to make good use of that :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS