Dark Heresy and young people

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bloodreaper

Bloodreaper

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

I've played Dark Heresy with some of the local kids (2nd-3rd form)and one of them has been told they can't play any more. We have played through Illumination and Maggots in the Meat and she was one of the best players. I'm not sure if the parents concern was over the violence or morality, but I'd like to present them with information that might make them reconsider. Help?

Who are you going to believe, the nightly broadcast, or the battleship ready to rain destruction from orbit?

#2 Alox

Alox

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

W40K setting is not by default children friendly, so if you try to convince the parents that this is case it will probably be pretty much uphill.

However, the way you treat the material can be very children friendly, so I suppose your best avenue is to get the parents to accept you as a competent supervisor/teacher.

Generel benefits from roleplaying found with a quick goole search: http://condor.admin....f Role Play.htm

You can probably find other sites that might be better.

#3 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

Please help me understand this a little better…Bloodreaper, is it?

You have 8 and 9 year olds sitting around a table listening to someone describe a writhing mass of viscous maggots in the form of a humanoid that uses horrific technology to turn people into dead ashes, and their parents may not be cool with this?

#4 Bloodreaper

Bloodreaper

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

12 and 13, smart ones too. But yeah. Thanks Alox, that link could be good. Had to laugh at number 4 in this context though

Who are you going to believe, the nightly broadcast, or the battleship ready to rain destruction from orbit?

#5 IdOfEntity

IdOfEntity

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

I hate typing this:

If the parents have done their duty and read the book they've probably made the right call.  Fantasy Flight Games has a lot of games suitable for the younger crowd, and despite the child's level of maturity and roleplay ability it's highly questionable that she should be playing it.  The game is full of horrific concepts, theistic quandries, and amoral behavior that when compared to an ESRB rating would earn it an MA rating.

You might be able to convince them that a seperate system and setting would be a suitable replacement, but on Dark Heresy I'd suggest you let it go.  It saddens me since I think FFG has done a fantastic job with the system and setting.

#6 breez

breez

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

I have to agree with the parents here as I would not allow my kids to play it at that age either. Dark heresy has a lot of themes which are more suitable for adults.  There are plently of other roleplaying games which are kid friendly.

#7 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

I hear them dice rolling games make kids worship Satan and practice witchcraft!

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#8 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

It would probably be worth getting to know whether or not the parents have a problem with their kid playing any P&P RPG, or playing Dark Heresy in particular. The latter would be understandable and should be respected, but the former is something where the parents themselves could be given a bit of education, for the sake of their children who seem to enjoy playing and could very well be "nurtured" to become the next generation of RPG gamers.

How about, instead of running Dark Heresy, you'd do Rogue Trader instead? Almost the same system and setting, yet with a much stronger focus on diplomacy, economy and scheming rather than sci-fi horror. Not every DH campaign has to actually incorporate horror, but it is a fairly major aspect of the game.

current 40k RPG character: Aura Vashaan, Astromancer Witch-Priestess
previous characters: Captain Elias (Celestial Lions Chapter -- debriefed), Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors -- KIA), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose -- assassinated), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader Artemisia -- retired), Taleera "Raven" Nephran (Hive Ganger & Inquisitorial Assassin -- mindwiped)

#9 Boss Gitsmasha

Boss Gitsmasha

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Think of Rogue Trader as a gothier Star Trek.

"Oomans are pink an' soft, not tough an' green like da Boyz. Dey'z all da same size too, so dey'z always arguin' about who's in charge, 'cos dere's no way o' tellin' c'ept fer badges an' ooniforms an' fings. When one o' dem wants ta lord it over da uvvers, 'e says 'I'm very speshul so'z you gotta worship me', or 'I know summink wot you lot don't know, so yer better lissen good'. Da funny fing is, 'arf of 'em believe it an' da uvver 'arf don't, so 'e has ta hit 'em all anyway or run fer it. Wot a lot o' mukkin' about if yer asks me. An' while dey'z all arguin' wiv each uvver over who's da boss, da Orks can clobber da lot."

#10 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

If it is due to the subject matter (rather than the idea of roleplaying) then I can understand. I always find it odd that parents are seemingly fine about kids (quite young kids in some cases. I have seen 5 year olds in GW) playing in the 40k universe, but then I suspect 1) they don't know anything about it and 2) their kids don't actually get much into the nitty gritty and just think "SPACE MARINES AWESUM!" The universe itself, as other have said is rather child unfriendly. Personally, I would think a 13/14 year old can handle it, as long as you don't go too much into it. A group of dark investigators hunt down and destroy hideous monsters, yes. Going into the paranoia and amorality of the Inquisition in detail: probably not. Basically, when it comes to executing people just for having seen the wrong thing I would feel off playing that with younger teenagers… on the other hand they probably wouldn't care.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they let the same child watch very violent films. People often have very odd different standards for things.

If they have a problem with roleplaying itself… well, then they either have mistaken ideas of what RPGs involve, or they are just.. wrong.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS