4 Tie Advanced Squad?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wiles01

wiles01

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

Anyone ever tried a 4 Tie Advanced build?

I'm curious how it might square off against a typical 4 X-Wing build?

#2 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

I believe it has been tried, and found lacking. Simply, offensive dice are better than defensive dice. The 2x attack that TIE-A have hampers them against the 3x attack of X-Wings. Against other imperials, 2x attack dice vs 3x defense dice is not going to do much.

#3 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

I think in the wave two sets some of the cards give you better options for running this list.  The big thing is making the most of the missiles. PTL on Steel is nice. You can also give him a stealth device or an extra shield for some staying power.   

What you are going to find is that people are flocking towards squint heavy lists.  The counter to this is any missile toting ship shooting homing missiles. I've missed once since I started running them on my A-wings and that happened for the first time this past Wednesday.  Four advanced with homing missiles should get the job done in any list. Problem being that once that first salvo is gone you lack any kind of punch. Also a Dark Curse will bethe bane of your existence. You have to hope that after those missiles are gone you are outnumbering your opponent two to one. 

I'm going to run three of them tonight with three homing missiles and a squint. I will post a battle report about it   

#4 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

I really don't see the point of Homming missiles on TIE advanced.  Homing Missiles counter evade actions, Rebels don't have evade actions so Impierals don't need to worry about it.

Yes, Yes, Yes, in most tournaments you might get Imp on Imp action, I never play Imp on Imp if it is just a pick up game.  Even many tournamets are starting to require you to bring two forces, so that you can always play apposing factions.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#5 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Picasso said:

Four advanced with homing missiles should get the job done in any list. Problem being that once that first salvo is gone you lack any kind of punch. Also a Dark Curse will bethe bane of your existence. You have to hope that after those missiles are gone you are outnumbering your opponent two to one…

You can't run four TIE Advanced with Homing Missiles. The minimum cost is 21+5 = 26.

@Hrathen: the point is that Homing Missiles don't require you to spend your Target Lock to fire them, meaning the TL is available to reroll attack dice. That bumps the expected number of hits up from 2 to 3 (and furthermore pleasantly concentrates the results on the right side of the distribution).

Also, once Wave 2 is widely available you're going to see lots of A-wings, which do have Evade, and for one measly build point so does any YT-1300.

#6 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

Well said, Vorpal Sword. I think that sums it up right there.

As cool as Homing Missiles are, if I had 4 TIE advanced on a squad, I would want each of them armed, meaning I'd probably go for two Concussion Missiles bringing up the rear and two Cluster Missiles running point.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#7 Picasso

Picasso

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

I took different missiles on each ship.  homing, concussion, and cluster.  Alpha squint.  

DID NOT WORK AT ALL.

I went against four X-wings.  All had higher skill then any of my ships.  I didn't get the concussion missile off cause that tie was shot down in the first round of shooting.  Lost the sqint in the second round of shooting.  Third round I shot down a red squad pilot and lost an advanced.  We called the game after that.

I did roll bad but the build was HARD to play.

#8 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

hard to play because it only has 2 atk dice per attack excluding missiles, and the ships are essentially regular TIE/ln with shields, but cost so much.

#9 CPTMcMurphy

CPTMcMurphy

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

I've tried 4 Advances.  As it is they just can't bring enough punch to the board to cause decent attrition.  It is like bring 5 Y-wings, you can hurt them, but not enough to win most of the time.  All you really do is slow the game down.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS