The elusive list of the illusive. The ridiculous hard to hit 3 man imp team

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

So I thought that this squad would be amazingly fun to play. maybe even competative. though I realize a falcon could careless 

Total points 98 (though I recommend trying to fill those 2 points to keep initive)

First Darth vader. Yeah, he might be king of the first wave, but hes not dead in the second (though I fear he is spinning off into space atm) Give him an engine upgrade and you have a boosting barrel rolling pilot skill of 9. Though Give him Push the limits and watch him out of the line of fire and still have an action to do with what he wants. This beast was hard to kill in wave 1…. now he is insasiable.

Second We have Soontir Fel, I couldnt decide if barrel rolling, boosting, then focusing would be better or just boosting and focusing either way hes your second 6 turnned upside down give him either daredevil or push the limits (both 3 points) and slap a stealth device on him just for laughs (cause you know hes never going to get shot at….) and you created a monster.

And the Third and just as argueable as hard to kill (or hit) Turr Phennir, this bad boy joins the other aces with vetern instincts (making the list entirely 9 skill) so he will be shooting then jumping away before many will be able to shoot at him. oh, yeah slap a stealth device on him too…. Now youve got a Ghost.

Even if you go against a falcon your going to see where its put at on the table first. unless its land with vet, or Han Solo…. either way your best deal is to plop on the the oppisite corner and just run through astroids (should be cake with all that manuverability) staying out of normal firing arcs should be easy enough as long as you always have a place to run and then refrom.

When I piloted the imperials in the Kessel Run final, I thought about this 3 man sqaud instantly, though I was thinking the points didnt add up lol. It would be frustating to play someone going gorilla style in a tournament if you were also imperial

btw the topic is a pun for one of my many hobbies is an illusionist

#2 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

I built a similar squad, and called it "Longtooths." I haven't played it yet, so I have no idea how it will run. It'll be fun though. :)

#3 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:03 AM

why not stealth and elusiveness on Fel? 

#4 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

when i was building the list I was like I could really cut down on allot of points to add another pilot (maybe bait) or simply add a missle or something, Theres few lists I dont share with people because its what I plan on running in a tournament and it fits my play style perfect. However this one is not one I consider sporting… I dont like running and hiding. However, if I find a nice way to kill a falcon and feel I can use this list, and find some people that know how to fly against this list (not sure if I do with most lists) then I may use it

Duraham you could very easily change daredevil out to elusive, infact if hes going to get shot at, mayswell evade and should you need to, get a free focus while attempting to dodge a crit. To me however I would rather push the limits and barrel roll after boosting to attempt avoid getting shot at all together rather then make my list about being defensive.

From what Ive seen, not enough people take advantage of the barrel roll (or boost yet) so even though this list is one very very very scary list, it takes a good pilot to fly it (maybe a little bit more difficult then a tie swarm list -depending who and what your playing against)

#5 The R5Don4 Star II

The R5Don4 Star II

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

I've had pretty good success with a very similar list although I find Missiles on Vader to be essential to give him some bite at the expense of Stealth Device on Turr and I put Daredevil on Vader instead of PTL because I find that is just overkill on the Actions, 2 is enough most of the time.

#6 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

As a reference, here's the squad you've outlined:

• Vader (29) + Engine Upgrade (4) + Push the Limit (3)
  • Soontir Fel (27) + Push the Limit (3) + Stealth Device (3)
  • Turr Phennir (25) + Veteran Instincts (1) + Stealth Device (3)

Three points:

First, "illusive" means deceptive, or cloaked in illusion. None of these pilots are particularly illusory.

Second, I would put Push the Limit on Phennir before Veteran Instincts, unless you're starved for points--and, conveniently, you have two extra.

Third (and finally), I'm increasingly convinced that three ships isn't enough for the Imperials. Maybe, if the Firespray works for you, a Firespray plus two Interceptors will work--but even then it feels skinny to me. The Rebels just have too many nasty offensive tricks in the Wave 2 meta.

As a community, the X-wing fanbase went through a period where we tried to make three-ship Rebel lists loaded with elite pilots and lots of upgrades work (I certainly did, at any rate). Those lists got consistently routed by cheap TIEs in large numbers--and I'm afraid we're about to see the dynamic go the other way for a little while. I think three-ship Imperial lists will be more often than not lose to three- and four-ship Rebel lists in Wave 2, and I would hate to see smart players fall into that trap.

#7 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Here is the "Longtooths" squad I made up. I'm not saying it's the end-all be-all squad, and in fact, of the wave 2 squads I have made, I haven't played this one at all because I don't think it's necessarily going to be viable. And I'm not married to anything on this squad, either, so I'm okay with tweaking it.

Vader with Concussion Missiles, Engine Upgrade, and Daredevil (40)
Soontir Fel with Elusiveness and Stealth (32)
Turr Phennir with Push the Limit (28)

Mainly I built this to have 2 level 9's and a 7, but like Vorpal said, it's 3 ships, and an Imperial squad with 3 ships is already at a disadvantage, IMO.

#8 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Vorpal Sword said:

First, "illusive" means deceptive, or cloaked in illusion. None of these pilots are particularly illusory.

Second, I would put Push the Limit on Phennir before Veteran Instincts, unless you're starved for points--and, conveniently, you have two extra.

Third (and finally), I'm increasingly convinced that three ships isn't enough for the Imperials. Maybe, if the Firespray works for you, a Firespray plus two Interceptors will work--but even then it feels skinny to me. The Rebels just have too many nasty offensive tricks in the Wave 2 meta.

to answer your first First (Im assuming problem) read the bottom of the first post :D

Second to answer your Second :P The reason for Vetern instincts is very important to my play style. It gives me 9 options instead of 2 when it comes to Who to move first. you can move into and out of posisitions in any order you would like which stops allot of confusing headaches on planning at the begining. It also helps Phennir avoid getting shot at. (it maybe someone small like Luke or Horton, or you may have the inititive and even if they are skill 9 then you may avoid a blow by simple shooting then moving.) And lets not forget Swarm tactics…

I beleive your right about imperial squads, if you play this squad head to head against anything else, your most likely to lose. However you play this squad by going into the astroid field. By using your fast speed to dart around and using boosts and barrel rolls to get that extra movement. You win by hitting your opponenet and not letting your oppenet shoot you. You place where they did not. 

I really wanted missles on vader, but stealth seemed soo much cooler. This list is subject to change once I play with more players (other then a couple of friends) who actaully know an intercepter and its flights.

#9 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

how about…

Darth Vader + Homing Missiles + Daredevil + Engine Upgrade (41)
Soontir Fel + Push the Limit (30)
Turr Phennir + Veteran Instincts + Stealth Device (29)

3 pilots with 9 skill :)

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#10 ArcticSnake

ArcticSnake

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

I don't know… If I saw that list I'd probably pull this out:

X-Wing (70pts)

• X-W •Luke Skywalker (35pts)

Focus, Target Lock, Unique Pilot Ability

Stealth Device, Veteran Instincts, •R2-F2

• X-W •Wedge Antillies (35pts)

Engine Upgrade, R2 Astromech, Veteran Instincts

A-Wing (30pts)

• A-W •Tycho Celchu (30pts)

Boost, Evade, Focus, Target Lock, Unique Pilot Ability

Stealth Device, Veteran Instincts

Battlescribe X-Wing Miniatures Data file links:
Index.bsi file: https://dl.dropboxus...tures/index.bsi
Index.xml file: https://dl.dropboxus...tures/index.xml

#11 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

ArcticSnake said:

X-Wing (70pts)

A-Wing (30pts)

well I love the idea of the list, the loadouts though lack allot of fire power

#12 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

ArcticSnake said:

X-Wing (70pts)

A-Wing (30pts)

so this would build specifically to beat my list? trick is to build a list that is competitive against what most people are playing. most people r not play 3 ship imperial builds. in a tournamnet you have to go in blind and dont get to tweek your list against them, thats why building against a metagame is the best plan as your are trying to trump the most likely squads u think u will face.

anyhoo, to give u some feedback on ur list i dont think stealth device on Luke would last long and vetern instincts is sorta wasted on pilots that have 9 skill already. stealth device on Tycho makes more sense tho. No love for the Y-Wings? those ion cannons r pretty nifty against those slippery tie-fighters.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#13 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

The_Brown_Bomber said:

anyhoo, to give u some feedback on ur list i dont think stealth device on Luke would last long and vetern instincts is sorta wasted on pilots that have 9 skill already. stealth device on Tycho makes more sense tho. No love for the Y-Wings? those ion cannons r pretty nifty against those slippery tie-fighters.

I'm not saying I'd run ArcticSnake's Rebel list--as I noted earlier, I don't think you need to do anything special to beat a 3-ship Imperial list--but Stealth Device + R2-F2 is a perfectly acceptable combo on an X-wing, and Luke's defensive pseudo-Focus makes it even more effective.

It's a combo I want to try out, actually.

#14 The R5Don4 Star II

The R5Don4 Star II

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

The R5Don4 Star II said:

I've had pretty good success with a very similar list although I find Missiles on Vader to be essential to give him some bite at the expense of Stealth Device on Turr and I put Daredevil on Vader instead of PTL because I find that is just overkill on the Actions, 2 is enough most of the time.

Played this today against a 2A/2X build.  The highlight of the game was my opponent had the 2 X's and a Green A, in his words close in to "create a death zone" around Turr who was flying off on his own perpendiuclar to them.  When he moved he did a hard three at them, boosted at the A, Shot it at Range 1 and then Barrel Rolled out of all three ships Arcs with his free action.     This squad exceled at denying my opponent shots with its superior Pilot Skill and post maneuver maneueverability.  

#15 ArcticSnake

ArcticSnake

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

I never said my list is for tourneys. :P

I also don't think its a hard counter to your list, its just a list that I think would probably give your ships a run for the money… the strategy heavily dependent on closing in fast and shooting first, and if none of your three ships go down immediately I would probably be toast.

Which is, in my humble opinion, what makes this game a lot of fun for me.

Battlescribe X-Wing Miniatures Data file links:
Index.bsi file: https://dl.dropboxus...tures/index.bsi
Index.xml file: https://dl.dropboxus...tures/index.xml

#16 The R5Don4 Star II

The R5Don4 Star II

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

The R5Don4 Star II said:

The R5Don4 Star II said:

Played this today against a 2A/2X build.  The highlight of the game was my opponent had the 2 X's and a Green A, in his words close in to "create a death zone" around Turr who was flying off on his own perpendiuclar to them.  When he moved he did a hard three at them, boosted at the A, Shot it at Range 1 and then Barrel Rolled out of all three ships Arcs with his free action.     This squad exceled at denying my opponent shots with its superior Pilot Skill and post maneuver maneueverability.  

Photographic evidence

http://www.boardgame...game?size=large

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS