• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

I just watched the movie God Told Me To the other day. It's a 'grindhouse' staple from 1976 that I have heard about for, well, decades, but never got around to seeing. Turns out, it's not very good, but it occurs to me that the basic plot would make for a great Dark Heresy mission with only a little tweaking:

---SPOILER ALERT (I dunno, do you still need to do that when a movie is nearly 40 years old?)---

A series of spree killings are plaguing the city. The perpetraitors usually commit suicide; those that are taken alive are surprisingly docile. When asked why they went on a killing spree, they smile and say "God told me to…" Investigation reveals that the killers have one connection: they have all crossed paths with a bizarre messiah-figure. He is fairly easy to identify; his records indicate that he was supposedly the product of a virgin birth. When the investigator tries to locate this individual, he draws the attention of a cabal of powerful men (politicians and business leaders) who are under the influence of the 'messiah', who has actual 'miraculous' powers (including psychically compelling the killing sprees) and whom they whole-heartedly believe to the the Second Coming. The truth, however, is that the messiah is actually a human/alien hybrid, implanted into a UFO abductee… It's mostly downhill from there, as the film relies on an absurd contrivance to come to an unsatisfying conclusion (-that never adresses why the hybrid(s) were created in the first place).

A little tinkering can turn this into a good DH scenario. Obviously, the hybrid should be suspected of being a new Living Saint. Maybe the Acolytes are dispatched to investigate that possibility, and subsequently learn about the mass killings- and investigate the possibility that they are connected. Rather than have the hybrid be the 'ultimate' adversary, I would have him be a pawn of his alien 'daddy': maybe he truely believes he is a Saint and the voices he hears in his head are from the Emperor, 'calling the faithful to join him' (that provides a good excuse for not having to make Decieve rolls when the PCs meet him). For the alien progenator, I would make his motivation that his warp vessel is damaged; it is hidden in a deep crater on the planet's moon (perhaps lying there for thousands or millions of years), and it needs psychic energy to power up. Toward that end, the alien has used the last of his ship's power to create a powerful psyker hybrid that can influence the population to mass murder (the killing sprees always occur when the moon is directly overhead); his vessel then absorbs the psychic energy released by masses of violent deaths- in effect the ship is powered by stolen souls. What will happen if/when the vessel reaches full power…?

Using big-budget movies as the insperation for rpg scenarios usually results in groans from players as they immediately realize what's going on, but less-well-known B-movies have potential for inspiring some good scenarios- and even if one of your players picks up on the source for the plot, they are more likely to respond with a sly nod than anything else…

So, anyone want to suggest other B-movies that can be given the Grimdark treatment…?

#2 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

The two first Alien movies pretty much define the scenario of space hulk games, which are copied from the movies. The first one was pretty B-like.

You could go into thinking classic horror, something like frankenstein could be pretty much literally taken into DH, And mummy could be a more powerful warp zombie that is almost impossible to kill, and later on could develop an actual sentience and be able to some psychic powers.

Or a really used up crap that probably isn't anything new to copy:
EVIL DEAD. You could make the pc's receive info of odd disturbances about isolated planet, and get them to investigate, then just start a incorporeal warp entity to possess stuff/pc/npc and cause lots of mayhem. Of course the entity has destroyed "the bridge" back home, once they're in.

#3 BrotherKane

BrotherKane

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

I feel fairly certain that some Matrix-like plot could be grimdarked.  However it would have to be from the other perspective IMO.  So rather than discovering they are in the matrix the PCs should be sent in to curb The One from ruining the system:

The matrix has been designed by the adeptus mechanicus to provide a new power source for forgeworlds.  After all the main resource that the Imperium has is the billions upon billions of people.  They have scraped up the dregs of a particular world (or perhaps just snatched up some whole population somewhere) and placed them in.  Just like in the filme they started with paradise, but it got rejected, and so they have them in a simulation that makes it like a normal hive world.  But there is the problem of the One.  He is able to break the rules (i.e manifest some psykerness inside) and is rebelling against the system.  The PCs are sent in as 'agents' to find and kill him before he grows too strong…

#4 Crunch

Crunch

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

The Wicker Man (please god not the Nick Cage version) is actually a natural DH plot. Substitute "Garden Planet" for "Scottish Village" and off you go. 

Alien Ressurection is pretty darn grim dark already and I've stolen some stylistics from it.

Event Horizon may be the most DH movie ever made.

About a third of the classic era Dr Who episodes can be used with a coating of grimdark.

Any of the various movies based on H.P. Lovecraft will translate exactly into genre, just add lasers.

At some point in every DH GMs life you have to run Night of the Living Dead, preferably with slow zombies in a Hive City.

#5 Crunch

Crunch

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

Oh, Outland with Sean Connery could map as well. And Enemy Mine could be adapted to a band of Acolytes stranded on a planet with a relatively benign Xeno presence and a Chaos or 'Nid infestation.

#6 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

Crunch said:

The Wicker Man (please god not the Nick Cage version) is actually a natural DH plot. Substitute "Garden Planet" for "Scottish Village" and off you go. 

Yes! I'm currently developing a mission based on a combination of the Clive Barker short story Rawhead Rex (a farmer trying to clear a new plot of land accidentally unleashes a daemon bound under a stone obelisk in ancient times), the Stephen King short story Children of the Corn (a daemon takes over a rural community, compelling the children to kill the adults and become its fanatical worshippers), and the movie The Wicker Man (an inverstigation into an isolated rural community turns up strange pagan practicesand the possibility of human sacrifice; the investigator is manipulated into becoming the prime sacrifice).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS