New Expansions?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Ralibar Vooz

Ralibar Vooz

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

I tried a search, but I didn't find much about this.

Does anyone know if there are going to be more expansions in the future? In other words, did FFG announce it was done, or just kind of stop making them after Miskatonic kind of cleaned the game up a little bit?

I know some people discussed it at Boardgamegeek.com:  http://boardgamegeek...the-dreamlands

Personally I think a Clark Ashton Smith expansion might work. Like Hyperborea for example.

#2 CrusherJoe

CrusherJoe

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

It might be bad business for FFG to come right out and say that the collection is finished, but spiritually speaking I think MH works as punctuation to the line.  I'd love to see more; I bet we all would.  But the open spirit of Lovecraftian collaboration carries on in the fan-made expansions, both small and large, and a lot of it looks impressive.  I can't help but think HPL's sharing and borrowing of his peers' creations is mirrored in the homemade Arkham Horror content.

I know I'm putting the cart before the horse even looking at it for my crew, but I can't help it.  For some Clark Ashton Smith goodness, I'll point you to The Corinthian's

https://sites.google...ortosaturn/home

while some of the other Elder Gawds direct you to the other Greatest Hits of fan made Arkham content. 

(I'm still a bit fuzzy on how the Arkham Nightmares casebooks compare to a big or small box expansion, I'm still reading up on them--I don'thave the link handy, but someone around here will)

#3 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

As mentioned above, the Door To Saturn should cover a lot of your CAS needs.

I can throughly recommend The Arkham Nightmare (http://www.boardgame...xpansion/page/1) as a Dreamlands expansion.

You may want to look through this link: http://www.boardgame...ost-here-ah-ver for expansions which cover Charles Dexter Ward, The Whisperer in Darkness, Martin's Beach, Peck Valley and Wicthes Hollow, as well as classic Chaosium scenarios such as the Haunted House and the Masks of nyarlathotep.

As for what's left… We could do with a British Isles expansion with (just of the top of my head) Goatswood, Brichester, Exham Priory and The House on the Borderlands. Zothique and G'Harne seems like good candidates for Other Worlds, although that mechanism is a little diluted at present.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#4 Dr Watson

Dr Watson

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

I'm sure it would be viable to print a pack with new Heralds, Ancient Ones, Investigators and so on.

How many would you buy for a few new investigators (or not, because of the needed tokens), Heralds for each unheralded ancient one, some Ancient Ones (or maybe those coming from the Arkham events…), some new Gardians (because 3 is small), a lot more institutions (Governement, Newspapers, DeltaGreen… and so on), all scenarios from the Arkham event and campaigns… I think all the fans would buy this to have a complete collection !

2nd idea, on BoardGameGeeks, some though of standalones, because Arkham Horror don't need more new game mechanics to track for, for themes maybe in Dreamland, Kadath or At the Mountains of Madness… Maybe with an option to play in parallel with Arkham for true madness… Or a London or Paris expension…

Last idea, a big case. Look, all of us have storage problems. The only problem is some wouldn't care because they need some moar game (and not minis or case).

This is a successfull game, the problem is if FFG want to sell, they need to find an "horizontal way" or else it will transform the franchise as what a dice and paper RPG can sell : that's why some cheap-to-produce bigs cardbox decks that deserve maybe all game configurations, or a standalone (as an appeal product and/or expension) would be great.

#5 Rudd1ger

Rudd1ger

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

These are fantastic Jake Yet Again, thanks for the links and recommendations!

#6 Judgement Dave

Judgement Dave

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

Jake yet again said:

As for what's left… We could do with a British Isles expansion with (just of the top of my head) Goatswood, Brichester, Exham Priory and The House on the Borderlands. Zothique and G'Harne seems like good candidates for Other Worlds, although that mechanism is a little diluted at present.

Agreed. I've been looking over Ramsey Campbell's works with obsessively insane thoughts along those lines.

Probably because I've always loved Y'golonac. And so will you now you've read his name.

#7 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I've given thought to making a Severn Valley board expansion. It would utilize a "ship" mechanic to move the investigators to and from SV (which can be used for a later Antarctic expansion), and I had come up with some mechanic that allowed you to enter the new Other Worlds without there having to be gates on the board. Rather, the Other Worlds in SV were for canceling or slowing different board mechanics that would be a problem if left unchecked.

#8 CrusherJoe

CrusherJoe

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

I've got something from A Night in the Lonesome October percolating in my head, but I also think there's some fun to be had in A. Merritt's The Moon Pool. 

I also noticed that some of the individual mechanics on BGG might be fun together--the Mayor mechanic, combined with the Citizens a couple of people have made up, and Essential Saltes reminded me of something very civic minded. 

Can anybody tell me exactly how much Mountains of Madness themed stuff there is?  Or Antartica related?  I think I count three?  I might be looking at something updated and improved though, not someone else's separate effort.  It all blurs together after a certain point.

I'm looking forward to Vermont Horror, Door to Saturn, Lovecraft Country, and Golden Scarab, but we gotta beat the main game first.

#9 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

CrusherJoe said:

Can anybody tell me exactly how much Mountains of Madness themed stuff there is?  Or Antartica related?  I think I count three?  I might be looking at something updated and improved though, not someone else's separate effort.  It all blurs together after a certain point.

four I'm aware of: Tomshwag's one, Ecosmith's one, the one found in door To Saturn and the one with d6 encounters for Sea / Antarctica / Mountains of Madness.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#10 CrusherJoe

CrusherJoe

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

Thanks, Jake!     I'm trying to think of a way Poe's and Verne's Polar expeditions can work themselves in…

#11 Dr Watson

Dr Watson

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

Do you guys have any ideas about what expansions could be made ?

I say again Mysteries of Paris burla. That would be a standalone, with the same rules as Arkham. The two cities could be related but the game could also be played alone.

#12 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

Dr Watson said:

Do you guys have any ideas about what expansions could be made ?

I say again Mysteries of Paris burla. That would be a standalone, with the same rules as Arkham. The two cities could be related but the game could also be played alone.

I guess they could use part of the Chaosium settings for Cthulhu by gaslight and create a London 1890 board, with new "city" encounters and the same monsters and OW encounters of the original game. Paris would be awesome as well, the city's great, even if I don't know really how many Mythos stories are set in the French capital

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#13 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

With Goatswood you've got the Lumley canon, plus a large body of English Literature to draw upon. It's a more established work.

France has less source material to work with. Averoigne is the obivous Mythos work to draw upon. Non-Mythos sources might include the Phantom of the Opera and the Murders in Rue Morgue. Elements of Hugo, Verne, Renard and Dumas also spring to mind.

Fantomas should be running around causing trouble in the 1920s, possibly with Arsene Lupine and/or Flambeau.

#14 randys

randys

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

If I wanted to print out one of the fan based expansions, any suggestions on how to do it?

#15 Judgement Dave

Judgement Dave

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

randys said:

If I wanted to print out one of the fan based expansions, any suggestions on how to do it?

I get the impression that a some players get the cards printed professionally - giving a wider range of card stocks and finishes.

The thread that Jake Yet Again linked to earlier (http://www.boardgame...ost-here-ah-ver) has a link to a page describing a pretty darn professional custom board construction (http://www.boardgame...ards-for-arkham).

I recall at least one poster (here or at Board Game Geek) stating that they'd printed out tokens/board and stuck them onto the Arkham Horror box then cut that up (as it's the same thickness/quality as the official tokens).

Personally I've been getting pretty good results printing at home using a bogstandard Epson inkjet and printing onto 200gsm card.

For cards, I print each side on a seperate sheet of 200gsm, cut out and then carefully stick with a glue stick.

Using 2 sheets of 200gsm feels about right to me - gives some substance to cards without being too thick. Using two sheets of 160gsm felt too flimsy to me - though I never tried a single 200 coupled with a 160 (I'd be bound to make mistakes).

For tokens/monsters/boards I've been printing on 200gsm and then sticking onto cardboard delivery boxes. The good thing with internet shopping - you get lots of boxes of different sizes/quality. The boxes I use (if you're in the UK, it's the ones from approved foods) are not as dense as official AH tokens, but are about the same thickness - which is what counts for putting tokens in stands and keeps the tokens about the same size for keeping the monster cup random.

BTW - once you start it can be quite costly in both time and materials. It's probably cheaper/more efficient to buy a big box expansion. But (even though I've not yet played all the ones I've printed out) there do seem to be some great user expansions, and it's worth it if you enjoy the resulting games.

Hope this helps.

#16 Dr Watson

Dr Watson

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

Jake yet again said:

France has less source material to work with. Averoigne is the obivous Mythos work to draw upon. Non-Mythos sources might include the Phantom of the Opera and the Murders in Rue Morgue. Elements of Hugo, Verne, Renard and Dumas also spring to mind.

Fantomas should be running around causing trouble in the 1920s, possibly with Arsene Lupine and/or Flambeau.

I think Fantomas is set pre WW1 in 1895-1905, I wrote a murder-party about him 5 years ago but I can't remember well (there was Lupin aswell ^^)

Why do you say France has much less material, it's the second country in the world to write some Call of Cthulhu RPG material… Since the 80's !

I fully agree for the Mythos novel material though, we have only a few book written in old french. In France, it's not in the authors culture to take over other authors as Lovecraft so almost nobody ever wrote some Mythos related stuff here. But for the rpg, in the 80's some rpg french author were translated back in the US "industry" aswell ;)

Jeux Descartes released an awesome Paris supplement back then named "Les Années Folles". There's a lot of the city that could fit, it's almost as much "Art Déco" as Brussels burla

#17 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

Dr Watson said:

Jeux Descartes released an awesome Paris supplement back then named "Les Années Folles". There's a lot of the city that could fit, it's almost as much "Art Déco" as Brussels burla

That's an interesting point. Do you know if any translation exists?

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#18 Dr Watson

Dr Watson

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

I do'nt really know. I'm seraching for it and I'll tell. It's a janury 1988 sourcebook.

Don't use Verne or Hugo in tabletop games, they're too old (or for Gasligth). Use Adele BlancSec (the comics if you read french or the film, i never saw the film) instead, it's set in the roaming 20s in PAris and very inspirated by Lovecraft and pulp novels of that period.

The french edition of CoC is really great, I think the french will maybe do a Paris Guide, I hope for you it will be translated back in english, before they are starting to re-print Maks of yarlatotep and so on (which is a MYTHICAL campaign for any 80's roleplayers)

#19 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

::laughter:: yeah, that dam'n Carlyle expedition. It was magnificent indeed (that one and Horror on the Orient Express are probably the best CoC adventures ever)

Thanks for the heads up, pal. I'll try to google around and gather some info :-)

#20 lovfinion

lovfinion

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Is the future of Arkham horror purely in the hands of fan made expansions!! My sadness does not come from the quality of work, from what I have seen it is excellent, but assembling the content is where I have a problem, I cannot make cards, boards etc anywhere near to the quality that FFG can, nor do I wish to spend hours/days constructing them :(

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS