• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 TheAngryTemplar

TheAngryTemplar

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Hey all!

I've played a few games of X-wing with some Co-workers using their stuff and I gotta say this game is fun!

However, I went out to my local hobby shop and they tell me that it's really hard to get your hands on a starter/core set right now.  Why is that? When can I expect more to be made, etc?

Sorry if this topic has been done to death, but I'd REALLY like to grab a set of my own and play it with others in my family and my gaming buddies.

Thanks,

#2 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:21 AM

Try your local Target or Target.com.  Their web page has them for $40, and will tell you if your local store has them.  If you sped $50 you get free S/H.

This has been mentioned before and the thinking is that it was popular so they will do a reprint. I've not read anything about when.

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  3 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  3 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

#3 TheAngryTemplar

TheAngryTemplar

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:36 AM

I should have mentioned, I live in Canada. No Targets here until this summer. (Though they bought out Zellars up here and closed all of their stores), not sure what the plan is on what they're doing with it, though.

#4 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

Its getting very hard to find……most people buy multiple copies….I'm still looking for my third core set….I would imagine they well be re-releasing the core set in the future…hopefully sooner than later

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#5 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

I'm really hoping they'll be on the same boat with the 2nd Wave stuff.  It will certainly put  a damper on their sales if they can only sell the new gear to folks who already have the core game….

#6 ninjavwc

ninjavwc

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

OP:

whereabouts in Canada are you?

If you're in the GTA, try 401 Games on Yonge St in Toronto.

I got my core set there last week and they still had a few left.

#7 Jaravak

Jaravak

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

I'm sure that the reprint of the core set will be included in the wave 2 shipment, which hopefully will be here any day now.

#8 Boomer_J

Boomer_J

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

I have seen the core set at Barnes & Noble, Inc.

www.barnesandnobleinc.com/ 

#9 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Amazon has some too: http://www.amazon.co...keywords=x-wing

#10 Jdamaso111

Jdamaso111

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Comic store near me has over a dozen it blows my mind that it's so low key around my area.

#11 heychadwick

heychadwick

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

I was playing Xwing at my local gaming store last night and someone said they knew the reason.  Remember Wesley Crusher from Star Trek?  He was the annoying ensign on the Enterprise.  Well, he grew up and became a semi-famous geek.  He has a show on You Tube where he gets celebrity stars (actual stars) and teaches them board games.  The show has become quite popular.  Target said they want to start selling some of the games he plays and slap on a sticker that says "As seen on Table Top".  That's what happened with Star Wars: Xwing (or so I am told).  FF made enough games to go to all the local gaming stores around the world.  Target came in and purchased a lot of their product and they were stretched too thin!  A victim of their own success…

I have non-gamer friend that wants in on the game.  He wants to support the local store, but gave up after 2 weeks and ordered on Amazon.

Look around as you can find it cheap in some places.  Someone mentioned a place last night where he bought his starter set for $25!  I looked and they were out.  

#12 TheAngryTemplar

TheAngryTemplar

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

ninjavwc said:

OP:

whereabouts in Canada are you?

If you're in the GTA, try 401 Games on Yonge St in Toronto.

I got my core set there last week and they still had a few left.

Brantford. So that's a bit of a trek just for a $40 purchase. Hmm.

May just order it from Amazon

EDIT: Scratch that, apparently Amazon.com won't ship to Canada…  Amazon.ca has 1 left for $60.00 + $12 shipping… ugh.. 

#13 ForceM

ForceM

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Over here in Europe i can get  starter sets but no expansions. Especially since i started the game with french language stuff. This is even harder to get.

#14 Darth Atrocitus

Darth Atrocitus

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Have you tried EBay?

#15 TheAngryTemplar

TheAngryTemplar

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

Never trusted EBay or Kijiji or any of those. Hmm.  

This seems really silly. The game's only been out a few months now, hasn't it?  How is it new players are supposed to start up if they don't make enough/sell the core requirements?

#16 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

TheAngryTemplar said:

Never trusted EBay or Kijiji or any of those. Hmm.  

This seems really silly. The game's only been out a few months now, hasn't it?  How is it new players are supposed to start up if they don't make enough/sell the core requirements?

It looks like the game was far more popular than FFG expected and/or they're facing some kind of major supply-chain failure.

It's hard to know exactly what's going on, but remember that Wave 2 was supposed to be available in time for the holiday shopping season and is now expected in early March. It's not absurd to suppose that, as Jaravak pointed out, the second "printing" is on the same container ship as the Wave 2 stuff.

#17 Linxysnacks

Linxysnacks

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

Wil Wheaton's show "Tabletop" on the "Geek and Sundry" channel on Youtube has yet to feature X-Wing.  It has brought a lot of positive attention to board gaming/table top gaming but I wouldn't over sell it. Oprah's Book Club it ain't.  Sales of board games has been steadily increasing since 1999, and more of my friends have become interested in all forms of non-video games.  X-Wing seems a perfect introduction to the wider world of miniatures gaming without the high entry cost or time/skill requirement to paint the figures.

There is also thr Shut Up & Sit Down show which was featured on Penny Arcade's Video Channel.  That show reviews a range of board games in humerous videos and blog postings.  I dare say that Penny Arcade had more exposure than Wil Wheaton.  Either way I am happy that there are positive gates into the hobbies I enjoy.  www.shutupshow.com  <- Check it out.  It is a laugh.

#18 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

It's also not just a question of the sheer numbers of core sets produced, but how they were allocated to the various classes of retailers.

While I have seen lots of reports of the game being scarce in hobby shops and in non-US countries, I have also seen lots of reports of there being tons of stock at Target and Barnes and Noble stores. My own experience bears this out as I have seen several Target and B&N stores with multiple copies collecting dust. I have seen some Targets with a dozen copies on the shelf.

I have no real knowledge of how distrbution contracts with mega chain stores like this function. But it does seem from anecdotal evidence on the internet that FFG allocated too many to Targets and too few to the small stores. But like Lando Calrissian, they may have had no choice if they wanted to deal with the Empire at all. I suppose they will evaluate whether that strategy worked well if they end up with tons of merchandise being clearanced out at Targets while LGSs can't get their hands on them.

Be seeing you.

#19 flvolunteer

flvolunteer

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

FYI: Neil just posted some core sets for sale at The Warstore http://www.thewarsto...oduct73120.html

Thanks,

FL Volunteer

(aka "Mr. Cupcake")

http://www.thejustdiceleague.org

#20 Fizco

Fizco

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

I've just started to get into this myself, and although i can get starter sets, tie advanced and y wings with little difficulty i still can't find the tie and x-wing expansions anywhere.

Do i have to wait until wave 2 is released to have any chance of getting an extra tie fighter? I just want to be able to field howlrunner :(

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS