Another Overlapping Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CappyTom

CappyTom

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

In the FAQ it states that if the two ships don't overlap then they are not touching. So if they are touching and didn't overlap then they are not touching and the moving pilot gets to take an action. Am I reading this rule right?

Thomas

#2 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I think this is mainly for the case such as follows:

Turn 1 - a pilot overlaps another whom he is tailing  and loses his action. He moves back along the template according to the collision rule and is now touching the base and facing with exactly parallel trajectory (in the same direction)

Turn 2 - they both move straight forward 2. So they are literally still touching bases, but they did not "re-overlap" to cause a second loss of action for the pilot who moves second.

Be seeing you.

#3 CappyTom

CappyTom

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

magadizer said:

I think this is mainly for the case such as follows:

Turn 1 - a pilot overlaps another whom he is tailing  and loses his action. He moves back along the template according to the collision rule and is now touching the base and facing with exactly parallel trajectory (in the same direction)

Turn 2 - they both move straight forward 2. So they are literally still touching bases, but they did not "re-overlap" to cause a second loss of action for the pilot who moves second.

So if you move right up to someone and touch them, but don't overlap them, then you are overlapping and lose your action but if you both move the same distance next turn and are still touching but this time your not overlapping?

What I'm saying is that we have had this happen when you don't overlap but are touching. It's a friendly game so we are just looking for clarification.

#4 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

CappyTom said:

So if you move right up to someone and touch them, but don't overlap them, then you are overlapping and lose your action but if you both move the same distance next turn and are still touching but this time your not overlapping?

What I'm saying is that we have had this happen when you don't overlap but are touching. It's a friendly game so we are just looking for clarification.

From the FAQ, page 2:

Q: Can two ships be considered touching if
neither ship overlapped the other ship
during this round?
A: No.

Therefore, if you move right up to someone and touch them, but dont overlap (i.e. did not have to "move back" along the template), you did NOT overlap  and do NOT lose your action. Moreover, by the above ruling, they are also not considered touching, and are free to target each other during combat, provided they are within the respective firing arcs.

#5 CappyTom

CappyTom

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

ziggy2000 said:

CappyTom said:

From the FAQ, page 2:

Q: Can two ships be considered touching if
neither ship overlapped the other ship
during this round?
A: No.

Therefore, if you move right up to someone and touch them, but dont overlap (i.e. did not have to "move back" along the template), you did NOT overlap  and do NOT lose your action. Moreover, by the above ruling, they are also not considered touching, and are free to target each other during combat, provided they are within the respective firing arcs.

Thank you for your input.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS