Ranking the Core Set

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Game of Pwns

Game of Pwns

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

I am splitting a second Core set with a friend. If you could ranke the Game of Thrones Core Set in order of most valuable card to least valuable, how would it go? I have provided a few category breakdowns to help the discussion below:

• Most Valuable (Most Valuable Plot) = _______________________
  • Most Valuable Character = _______________________
  • Most Valuable Location = _______________________
  • Most Valuable Event = _______________________
  • Most Valuable Attachment = _______________________
  • The one card to rule them all = _______________________

#2 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

I don't think you'll get meaningful answers. 

If by valuable you mean monetary, cards present 1x in the coreset are more likely to be sought after as singles by people seeking to have 3x all cards, but preferring not to buy a 3rd core set. If you mean "card you can't do without", the answer is probably Valar Morghulis, but no deck needs 2 of them. Many of the staple cards (resource locations etc) are extremly useful, but also present in 2-3x in the core set, or also have multiple copies in the associated deluxe box.

If you're going to split cards with someone, the best way to do it is along House lines.

#3 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Game of Pwns said:

I am splitting a second Core set with a friend. If you could ranke the Game of Thrones Core Set in order of most valuable card to least valuable, how would it go? I have provided a few category breakdowns to help the discussion below:

• Most Valuable (Most Valuable Plot) = _______________________
  • Most Valuable Character = _______________________
  • Most Valuable Location = _______________________
  • Most Valuable Event = _______________________
  • Most Valuable Attachment = _______________________
  • The one card to rule them all = _______________________

Istaril is correct I think, but ill give my opinions nonetheless.

Plot = Valar hands down.  Used in most plot decks, arguably the single most powerful card in the game.
Character = Khal Drogo.  I think core Drogo is used in many, if not most, Targ decks.  Off the top of my head, I'm not sure the same can be said of another core character.  
Location = Golden Tooth Mines.  Excellent reliable draw, even OOH with the alliance plot.
Event = probably Seductive Promise.  That's hard though, very deck specific.
Attachment = Flame-kissed.  Still one of the best attachments in the game because of the ambush + terminal effect.
One card to rule = Valar, see above.

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

#4 Game of Pwns

Game of Pwns

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Ok let me ask it a different way. If you were going to have a draft of the Core Set, with five friends, and you were first pic, which card would you draft? Please don't say Valar . No plot deck needs two of them. 

#5 Game of Pwns

Game of Pwns

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Ok let me ask it a different way. If you were going to have a draft of the Core Set, with five friends, and you were first pic, which card would you draft? Please don't say Valar . No plot deck needs two of them. 

#6 Ulairi

Ulairi

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Game of Pwns said:

How could someone even draft the core set? It wouldn't work.

#7 Ulairi

Ulairi

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

if you're asking because you want to know how to split up the core set with your friend, I'd say each of you pick 2 houses and take those. 

#8 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

He wants to know what we think the best core set cards are. Right pwns???

#9 BBSB12

BBSB12

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

http://www.agotcards.../set/listing/17

Shows rankings for all cards of the Core Set with minor caveat that the rankings are related to playability of cards in larger card pool. Pretty much all of the cards that have high ranknig are the cards that are definitely good.

Other than that on a Core Set level, Golden Tooth Mines will probably win you most of the games 'cause games will be grindy and annoying as hell.

PS. I've thought about 5-10 minutes on the question of drafing Core Seet, and I don't, really don't want to participate in any sort of discussion about nightmare that draft would be.=)

#10 Game of Pwns

Game of Pwns

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Bomb said:

He wants to know what we think the best core set cards are. Right pwns???

Someone gets it!!! Thank you!

It was just a light hearted set of questions, & many of you are either going negative on it or missing the question all together.

This is all I asked for:

character - Illyrio

event - lethal counter attack

attachment - bodyguard

location - gold tooth mines (2 of those in a deck is FANTASTIC)

Plot - power of arms or rule by decree

#11 Keggy

Keggy

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

character - enemy informant, maybe another robert baratheon

event - not sure where to begin, most are pretty good.  pick a house you like and grab something that goes with them?

attachment - flame kissed or milk of the poppy

location - golden tooth mines or lady dany's chambers

Plot - Valar or Rule by decree (theyre both 1x per deck, but its nice to have than one when you have multiple decks built).  Of course, if you plan on never having more than one deck built, grab power of blood or power of arms so you can actually use 2.

I still think splitting cards is a bad idea.  You will probably want the rest at some point, anyway.

#12 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

Game of Pwns said:

character - Illyrio

event - lethal counter attack

attachment - bodyguard

location - gold tooth mines (2 of those in a deck is FANTASTIC)

Plot - power of arms or rule by decree

I'll play along… and consider this as if the core set were in a vacuum. I'm going to list multiple for each category because I have a hard time making decisions.

Character - Jaime, Power Bob, Khal Drogo (honorable mentions to Eddard, Rhaegal x3, and Maester Aemon)

Event - Seductive Promise, I'm You Writ Small

Attachment - Flame-Kissed, Nymeria/Lightbringer

Location - GTM (hands down), also Lannisport Brothel x1

Plot - Valar, Rule by Decree (honoable mention to  Power of Blood)

#13 Thanos Voidseeker

Thanos Voidseeker

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

Well, a lot of cards can fit these categories, but I'll give my opinion on some of them.

Character- Probably Khal Drogo. Maybe even Melisandre. Honorable mentions to Drogon, Stannis Baratheon, Shaggydog, Viserys Targaryen and Brown Ben Plumm (because he looks like Morgan Freeman)

Event- Seductive Promise. Also Distinct Mastery and I'm you Writ Small.

Attachment- Lightbringer for sure, and Flame-Kissed. Silver medal to Bodyguard and Milk of the Poppy.

Location- Golden Tooth Mines and Lannisport Brothel, followed by Dragonstone Port for its potential to create fun/awkward opportunities. I entirely left all cost-reducing locations out.

Plot- Definately Valar Morghulis. Probably followed by Summoning Season.

Card you can't do without- The House Cards. ;) (although Baratheon and Martell have those nifty resin House "cards")

#14 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

Vaapad said:

Game of Pwns said:

Plot = Valar hands down.  Used in most plot decks, arguably the single most powerful card in the game.
Character = Khal Drogo.  I think core Drogo is used in many, if not most, Targ decks.  Off the top of my head, I'm not sure the same can be said of another core character.  
Location = Golden Tooth Mines.  Excellent reliable draw, even OOH with the alliance plot.
Attachment = Flame-kissed.  Still one of the best attachments in the game because of the ambush + terminal effect.

Wow, nailed it except for the character I think.

Character = Maester Aemon

There are a lot of great characters in the core set, but Aemon is probably the most prolific. He's in 234 decks on AGoT cards compared to 170 for Khal Drogo, 157 for Enemy Informer, 100 for Jaime, 95 for Robert, and 51 for Melisandre.

#15 Vaapad

Vaapad

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

mdc273 said:

Vaapad said:

Game of Pwns said:

Wow, nailed it except for the character I think.

Character = Maester Aemon

There are a lot of great characters in the core set, but Aemon is probably the most prolific. He's in 234 decks on AGoT cards compared to 170 for Khal Drogo, 157 for Enemy Informer, 100 for Jaime, 95 for Robert, and 51 for Melisandre.

but just for fun, what are the ratios?  Remembering that Aemon can be used by any house and Drogo is Targ only, Drogo = 170/Total Targ vs. Aemon = 234/Total All.  Proportionally, Drogo's number will be much higher I bet.  That said, i bet that Aemon is more prevalent in Maester decks than Drogo is in Targ decks.  So its not like there's a qualitatively correct answer :).  

"And for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS