• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

The Crystal Sceptre should have the keyword 'trinket', because the Ice Sceptre from the Highland Expansion is a trinket!

Ell.

#2 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

Sounds like a weak argument :P

#3 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

No not at all. If the Ice Sceptre is a trinket, then the design team should have realised that the Crystal Sceptre would be a trinket. Similarly the Ring of Protection in the Highland Cards directly implies all cards that are Rings should be considered trinkets!

Ell.

#4 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

I consider that a houserule, not a printing error.

#5 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I'm not trying to house rule anything! Consistency would be good. Surely any type of Sceptre would be a trinket, any type of Ring a trinket, etc.

Ell.

#6 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

It may be that  there are rings, sceptres and other 'items' that go both ways. I noticed a ring that reminded me of the basic set, but it was a trinket as opposed to the basic one.

This is for balance' sake, even if it doesn't feel like it.

#7 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

So is this a "Official" rule change FAQ or is this just a "dare I say" sensible house rule?…

#8 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

All Potions are trinkets. Any that appear in the base game & previous expansions now need to be treated as so. The Ring of Protection & Magic Ring are also trinkets, which obviously means that the Ring from the base game & the Magic Ring from the Dragon expansion must be trinkets. The Ice Sceptre is a trinket, so surely the Crystal Sceptre would be a trinket; they are both Sceptres after all! I'm not saying it's an official error, as I did not help develop the expansion.

Ell.

#9 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Ok, with your logic 1/4 or more of all the items in Talisman should have the word "trinket".

And in that case, Talismans should be trinkets to because that's what they are…. trinkets :P

I really see no point to this, especially not now with the City when there are Horses and Carts for sale on a specific board-space.

#10 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Nidhögg said:

Ok, with your logic 1/4 or more of all the items in Talisman should have the word "trinket".

And in that case, Talismans should be trinkets to because that's what they are…. trinkets :P

I really see no point to this, especially not now with the City when there are Horses and Carts for sale on a specific board-space.

agreed, its abit much to turn around and say all rings and sceptres are now trinkets. 

#11 EvilEdwin

EvilEdwin

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

While I partly agree, I also think an argument could be made about pretty much any item could be a trinket. Sword? Carried in a scabbard. must be a trinket. Suit of armour? Worn on the body, not carried.

I think to avoid arguments in game I'd rather see non-trinket rings and potions as an odd game absurdity, than to open up the flood gates as to what should and shouldn't be a trinket.

#12 GrimGuvna

GrimGuvna

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:16 AM

Being an ex RPGer I empathise with Ells call for consistency but when the city and highlands are in play they add the high possibility for characters to aquire a vast no of objects (especially the city) and I think to balance this the "Trinket" keyword was born. (mainly for consumable items)

It is probably best to give the designer the benefit of the doubt and assume that they were fully aware of similar items that did not have the "Trinket" keyword else I would have expected a note in the expansion rules directing us to amend cards or better to actually have replacement cards (As Arkham Horror did).  With this in mind it is best to play the cards as they are and keep in mind that "Trinket" is a balancing keyword.

If I am wrong then I and everyone else no doubt fully expect to have this rectified with replacement cards in the next expansion.

#13 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:42 AM

You, Sir, are not wrong. Agree.

#14 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

It is not supposed to be a trinket.

Just because a card is treated a certain way in one expansion, does not mean that it follows that every card made previously and to follow will be the same.

It would probably be better just to post an observation, rather than boldly stating that there is an error in the printing that gives the wrong impression to people interested in getting hold of the expansion.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#15 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

talismanisland said:

It would probably be better just to post an observation, rather than boldly stating that there is an error in the printing that gives the wrong impression to people interested in getting hold of the expansion.

Yeah, I'm there like "But they just printed the thing" :) I suppose if its a real printing error we will hear it from FFG officially. 

#16 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Uvatha said:

talismanisland said:

Yeah, I'm there like "But they just printed the thing" :) I suppose if its a real printing error we will hear it from FFG officially.

Until somebody from FFG doesn't state it's a printing error, it's not a printing error.

It's a choice that's incoherent with choices made in other expansions, as OP mentioned. Highland and Trinket Objects raised questions about items in the previous material that could have been Trinkets, had the Trinket rule been invented before. It's quite meaningful that most Potion Cards are reprints of old cards (e.g. Potion of Strength, Elixir of Wisdom, etc.) transformed into Trinkets.

However, it's possible that the wrong choice was making the Ice Sceptre in the Highland as a Trinket. It's an excellent Magic Object that can determine  victory in a Crown fight, and a cumbersome item too. A sceptre is bigger than a Ring, a Potion or a bag of Dragon Teeth.

FFG has the opportunity to fix all these things in one last expansion, something like "Miskatonic Horror" in Arkham Horror. I wish we could get replacement cards for the Ring, the Potion of Strength and such, to have a full coherent game. I don't know if they will ever make such an effort just for precision's sake.

#17 Froman

Froman

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

Since the old magic ring is a regular object, does this make the new magic ring that says trinket a printing error as well?

Obviously FFG decided what will be a trinket and what won't be.

#18 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:51 AM

As said (somewhere) previously, there is no need to "retrofit" anything from the original game. Even though similar objects are now surfacing, these are generally different to the original ones as they tend to have a cost associated with them and are not merely freebies from the deck.

Anyway, I am sure there will be arguments either way and there is little to be gained by me saying that both the Crystal Sceptre and Bow are as they were designed to be so I shall go back to watching from the sidelines.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#19 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,555 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Uvatha said:

Agreed.  I haven't had a chance to buy The City yet and this thread's topic scared me into considering waiting for a second print run that would hopefully correct the oversight.  This is the sort of thing that can impact sales figures.  Impact them enough and they stop printing new expansions…

I would encourage the OP to send a question to FGG asking if this item should be a trinket (along with any other items he's curious about.)  That way FFG can issue official errata if they agree.

Until that time, the OP's post is just his personal opinion - which he's fully welcome to, by the way - but he shouldn't go scaring off potential customers with premature claims of printing errors.

#20 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

I highly doubt that these are printing errors, nor should anyone wait to purchase this expansion.

We got ours on Thursday, UPS. My wife finally decided that *she* couldn't wait any longer - - and she found it on her Amazon Prime for around $10 lower than the FFG price.   I certainly would have paid full price, but I had to wait until this payday to order. 

At any rate we broke it out on Thursday night and looked it over; set it up 11:15 pm or so, and "drew" our characters. She drew Bounty Hunter and I drew Valkryie. Its all set up, but we haven't had a chance to play. She's got must see TV tonight, so perhaps tomorrow.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS