Monster Shortage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BlueHawks206

BlueHawks206

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

I have bought all the expansions except the dragon. Has anyone else had problems drawing monsters when they play with all of them but dragon ? Problem being the 400 plus adventure cards i guess. I took out some gems and things in the highlands and bought another reaper expansion and added only the monsters and that seems to have almost fixed the problem. let me know what you havfe done to fix this issue thanks ! 

#2 EvilEdwin

EvilEdwin

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

Nope, never had this problem at all. I assume you're giving the deck a good shuffle. I know if you don't, between games you get a big clump of objects and followers from the previous game.

#3 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

If you play with the Dungeon there should be no shortage ;)

#4 Bolithio

Bolithio

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

Yes I had that problem. The sollution? Break down your decks. When you have that many adventure cards in one deck, even with a correct suffle, the proboblility of haveing an ideal distribution of cards is low. Not to mention you may never see market day, or draw bags of gold four turns in a row.

It will take you 20 min to intially break down your decks back into the expantions, wrap with rubber bands. Then it will only add 5 min to set up, and five min at the end the of the game to add in one or two expansions to the mix. I find that the game works best with no more than one card pack expansion. The Board expansions dont have many adventure cards so they dont effect the main deck much.  When you do this, you will also start to see some of the balance in each set, such as the cards that are intended to balance or counter some other cards.

#5 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Bolithio said:

It will take you 20 min to intially break down your decks back into the expantions, wrap with rubber bands. Then it will only add 5 min to set up, and five min at the end the of the game to add in one or two expansions to the mix. I find that the game works best with no more than one card pack expansion. The Board expansions dont have many adventure cards so they dont effect the main deck much.  When you do this, you will also start to see some of the balance in each set, such as the cards that are intended to balance or counter some other cards.

I totally agree with you.

I've started doing the same thing since Blood Moon and I really like the result. We play with base deck + 2 Expansions at a time, adding in the extra cards for corner boards that we may use (adding and pulling out those is the only annoying thing, that may be avoided if you agree to replace them when you draw them). I usually play a long row of games before changing the deck.

In the last game this shuffling gave a pile of good Objects and Followers in the first part of the deck, so we gladly draw Maiden, Unicorn, Bag of Carrying, Belt of Strength, Holy Lance, Alchemist, etc… before any Enemy showed. But this was an exception.

For good shuffling, I recommend you spend a few minutes at the beginning or at the end of each game. Take all cards and distribute them on 10 or 12 piles, putting one card on each pile in circles. In 2-3 minutes you have a quick distribution without clusters.

#6 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 640 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:20 AM

Take all the Followers and Objects and objects in your deck and make a separate pile called the Treasure pile.

Whenever you encounter a non-Animal enemy draw one treasure card for every five points of strength they possess. (e.g. a S1 goblin would have one card, as would a S5 Wyvern, whereas a S7 dragon would have two cards) If you defeat the enemy you can claim the treasure. However, you must presume that your enemy is smart. If they have a non-one shot item which would benefit them (such as a Physical Enemy with a Shield or a Sword or a Psychic enemy who has possessed a Maiden), they can use this item.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS