Firing beyond effective range of a weapon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Host of Angels

Host of Angels

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Is it possible to fire a weapon at a target beyond its effective range? For example: can I use a Blaster Pistol, which has a range characteristic of "medium" at a target at long range? Is this just not possible or is there some sort of negative dice applied to the pool for such a shot?

I ask because on my initial reading of the rules for combat I understood that you could not use a weapon beyond its effective range - it just didn't work. However, on page 38 of the Beginner Game Rulebook, in the description of "Range" in the Starship and Vehicle Weapons section it says:

"Unlike in personal combat, the differences in distance between range bands at starship scale are so great that starships cannot attack targets beyond their range band."

Which seems to imply that in personal combat you can attack targets beyond your range band. 

So, is this back reference in the Starship section an error, possibly a hang over from a pre-print version. Or have I missed some vital table that explains what negative dice to apply if you fire at something beyond effective range?

Thoughts?

#2 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Host of Angels said:

I ask because on my initial reading of the rules for combat I understood that you could not use a weapon beyond its effective range - it just didn't work. However, on page 38 of the Beginner Game Rulebook, in the description of "Range" in the Starship and Vehicle Weapons section it says:

"Unlike in personal combat, the differences in distance between range bands at starship scale are so great that starships cannot attack targets beyond their range band."

Which seems to imply that in personal combat you can attack targets beyond your range band. 

So, is this back reference in the Starship section an error, possibly a hang over from a pre-print version. Or have I missed some vital table that explains what negative dice to apply if you fire at something beyond effective range?

Thoughts?

It was corrected in the very first Beta update. It must have been missed in the Beginner version.

Range (page 149): Replace the sentence "Unlike in personal combat, the differences in distance between range bands at starship scale are so great that starships cannot attack targets beyond their range band" with "As with all weapons, starship scale weapons cannot attack targets beyond their range band."

#3 Host of Angels

Host of Angels

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

Ha! I knew it. Well I didn't know it, in fact my brain was most confused and convinced I had misread something.

Thanks for that. I like the simplicity of the range bands and this adds to the elegance of the system. It is either in range or not. Simple.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS