• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kaitei

kaitei

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hi everyone!

I know this question has been discussed many times,but I still want to verify it.

Here are the clauses about the Primary abilities of  Trade l,ll,& lll.

Trade l:

…..After two players have agreed to open a new
trade agreement, the active player must approve the
agreement, or it cannot be made.

Trade ll:

…..This functions in exactly the same fashion as the original
Trade Strategy Card; the active player must approve
each new trade agreement, or it cannot be made.

OK. About Trade l & ll,there is no doubt that the active player has the authority
to reject the new agreement. It is written obviously. How about Trade lll?

Trade lll:

….The player who activates the primary ability must approve all new trade 
agreements.

See? There are some difference. First, "or it cannot be made" is gone.
Two,"must approve all new trade agreemaents" sounds like the only thing that  the active player
can do is saying "Yeah,good agreement . I am really happy you guys made it! ".
I need a reason why did they not write some sentences like usual.

Does the active player (picking Trade lll) have the POWER to refuse new agreements? Thanks. 

#2 Nehkrimah

Nehkrimah

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

From memory we had confirmed that the trade master can still refuse agreements, but I think that was on the old ti3 wiki so don't have access to it at the moment.

I think it wasn't included on the card due to space and in the rules due to an oversight. But I'm sure it works as the others do.

-Nehkrimah

#3 Bowoodstock

Bowoodstock

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

If you run into a player who decides to debate this, then they're a rulemonger.  Yes, the trademaster must still approve all trades or they cannot be made, unless one of the involved parties is the Hacan. 

I don't know why they didn't write it out verbatim, but if you need more proof, consider the following from the rulebooks.  Note that unless superceded by a rule in the expanssion rulebooks, all the rules in the core rulebook are still valid.

Pg 9 of shattered empire.

Certain Strategy Cards in this expansion have the

same name as previous Strategy Cards but are followed

by the Roman numeral II. These cards are

affected by all abilities and cards that would affect

their counterpart with the same name.

Based on the above, we can assume that Trade III follows the same rule, and being the "trademaster" or active player could be considered an ability, ie. the ability to approve or dissaprove trades.

Pg 25 of core rulebook

Before a trade agreement can be completed, the agreement

must first be approved by the active player. If

approved (and that may take some bribes to the active

player), the players may exchange Trade cards.

As it does indicate in the Shards of the throne rulebook (Pg 9) that trades must be approved, and seeing as this is all refering to strategy cards that share the "Trade" name, regardless of if it's I, II, or III, this means that trades with Trade III are not exempt from the rule requiring approval from the active player, ie. the one who played trade, also known as the trademaster.

#4 kaitei

kaitei

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Thank you all! I don't want to attract controversy for this,but just find some explains as a GM in our group:) 

Now it becomes clear!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS