Playing Limited Cards

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dj9091

dj9091

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hoping someone might be able to settle a discussion on the terminology of "playing" limited cards. The "Enhance" card "Sith Library" offers a resource to enhance the play area. The text reads: "Limited. (You cannot play more than one limited card each turn)." Does "play" imply from hand or in play area? In other words, if I had two "limited" cards in my hand, could I put one into play on one turn, and another into play on a second turn and use them BOTH on the third turn? Or can I have two in the play area at once, but each turn only get the benefit from one of them?

Thanks!!

Don

#2 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

The "Limited" restriction refers to playing cards from your hand. Once they are in the play area, there is no restriction on their usage.

"Play" in this game (and in most, generally) refers to paying the resource cost, and putting the card from your hand into the play area (I'm ignoring the difference for Event cards, which are played, resolved and then discarded). And, in general, once a card has been played you can use it immediately. So, in your example, you play one Sith Library on your first turn. You may use it to generate a resource during that turn, if you desire. But you may not play another "Limited" card during the turn. Next turn, you can play another Sith Library, and use it immediately. So, technically you can use both Sith Libraries on the second turn, and do not have to wait until the third.

In a game situation recently I had three Sith Libraries in my opening hand. I would have liked to pay cost, play one, use the first library to generate a resource to play the second, use the second to generate a resource to play the third! BOOM! for a net cost of one resource I would have three more resources next turn! Alas, Sith Library is Limited to one per turn in order to prevent just such a game changing power grab. You must build up over time.

#3 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

dj9091 said:

Hoping someone might be able to settle a discussion on the terminology of "playing" limited cards. The "Enhance" card "Sith Library" offers a resource to enhance the play area. The text reads: "Limited. (You cannot play more than one limited card each turn)." Does "play" imply from hand or in play area? In other words, if I had two "limited" cards in my hand, could I put one into play on one turn, and another into play on a second turn and use them BOTH on the third turn? Or can I have two in the play area at once, but each turn only get the benefit from one of them?

Thanks!!

Don

from the rulebook pg 25

A player can play only one card with the “Limited” keyword during each turn. In this case the rule reminder is in the card text itself as well.

Welcome to the machine!

#4 Luminous Quasar

Luminous Quasar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

ziggy2000 said:

The "Limited" restriction refers to playing cards from your hand. Once they are in the play area, there is no restriction on their usage.

"Play" in this game (and in most, generally) refers to paying the resource cost, and putting the card from your hand into the play area (I'm ignoring the difference for Event cards, which are played, resolved and then discarded). And, in general, once a card has been played you can use it immediately. So, in your example, you play one Sith Library on your first turn. You may use it to generate a resource during that turn, if you desire. But you may not play another "Limited" card during the turn. Next turn, you can play another Sith Library, and use it immediately. So, technically you can use both Sith Libraries on the second turn, and do not have to wait until the third.

In a game situation recently I had three Sith Libraries in my opening hand. I would have liked to pay cost, play one, use the first library to generate a resource to play the second, use the second to generate a resource to play the third! BOOM! for a net cost of one resource I would have three more resources next turn! Alas, Sith Library is Limited to one per turn in order to prevent just such a game changing power grab. You must build up over time.

I just had my understanding clarified in another thread similar to this but apparently I haven't understood it correctly.

So .. basically we can use more than one of this limited card but can only be deployed once per turn? 

Does the word "Play" in this Enhance Area card mean deploying the card OR using the card to resource a unit? 

#5 ziggy2000

ziggy2000

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Once you play a card from your hand, either by paying the resource cost or having it come into play by another effect, there are no restrictions on using it. If you have three Sith Libraries in your play area, you may use them all to generate resources. The "Limited" restriction only applies to cards you move from your hand to the play area - nothing more.

So, to answer your direct question, "Play" on this card (and every other card) means deploying the card into your play area. After that the "Limited" keyword imposes no restrictions on its usage.

#6 Luminous Quasar

Luminous Quasar

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Awesome!!  Thanks for the info Ziggy2000  :)

#7 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

Follow up question -

Do limited cards care about the title of the card? 

For example, control room and sith library cannot both be played on the same turn.

Also, is force choke considered limited, since it says limit one per turn , although it lacks the limited keyword? - only enhancements that grant resources seem to have the keyword at this point. 

#8 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:16 AM

Ravncat said:

Follow up question -

Do limited cards care about the title of the card? 

For example, control room and sith library cannot both be played on the same turn.

Also, is force choke considered limited, since it says limit one per turn , although it lacks the limited keyword? - only enhancements that grant resources seem to have the keyword at this point. 

Limited does not care about the title of the card.  For instance, you can play one copy of Dagobah Training Grounds or one copy of Hidden Outpost (both limited) during your turn, but not one copy of each.  Force Choke is not limited, so you could play both it and the Sith Library (which is limited) on the same turn.  You cannot play two copies of Force Choke on the same turn because of its text.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS