Best Purchase For Starting Player

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rackzul

Rackzul

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

Hello there, my fellow LOTR players.  So, I've begun delving into playing with the core and I'm really enjoying myself, but I'd like your advice.  I don't have a lot of extra funds to throw at buying all the boosters and expansions since the release.  Knowing that I'm on a tight budget, if you could suggest one expansion, or two critical booster packs to help make questing easier, which ones would you advise?

#2 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

try this blog: http://talesfromthec...r-buying-guide/

as for my two cents, i think it's best to go in order, as the quests scale that way.

also, you could try looking at the cards in each pack on a website like LOTRLCG.com, which allows you to sort by pack.

hope this helps!

#3 Rackzul

Rackzul

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

Dain…..you are the man!!!  That blog is amazing!!!  I love the way he breaks down each AP and explains why each one is valuable.  So, I'm thinking the Khazad-Dum and The Watcher in the Water are my next purchases!  Now I'm getting really excited to be getting into this game!  Thanks again for your input.  This is going to be a blast!

#4 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

Great - if you have extra cash, I'd also get Return to Mirkwood - as the hero in the pack - Dain Ironfoot (haha) - would be invaluable for you to build dwarf decks (which Khazad-Dum really helps being to the forefront).

Happy questing!

#5 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Yep, Dain is quite essential for a Dwarf deck (the scenario is crap OTOH, if you only play solo). However, I'd also suggest to buy the scenarios in their releasing order. If you have the money, that is.

#6 sstern

sstern

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

I'm also a new player and thinking about trying to build a good dwarf deck but I don't think I can buy all the dwarrowdelf aps.  Could I build a good deck with just kazadum, shadows of mirkwood and the core?  Or possibly the first hobbit deluxe expansion instead of kazadum?

#7 Rackzul

Rackzul

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

Sadly, I cannot afford to purchase all the APs….  I really wish I could.  Fantasy Flight has created too many addictions that are eating away at my "Fun Budget"…..between X-Wing, the Star Wars LCG, LOTR LCG, and my recent intorduction to L5R, I've been blowing my money left and right.  After reading the blog that Dain linked earlier, I did order the Khazad-Dun (sp?) Delux Expansion and the Watcher in the Water AP…so I'm hoping that I can build a reputable deck using the Core, 1st three APs from the core set, KD Expansion and WitW AP.

#8 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

sstern said:

I'm also a new player and thinking about trying to build a good dwarf deck but I don't think I can buy all the dwarrowdelf aps.  Could I build a good deck with just kazadum, shadows of mirkwood and the core?  Or possibly the first hobbit deluxe expansion instead of kazadum?

Khadaz-dum and The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill will go a long way toward making a nice Dwarf deck, but you will be missing some really powerful cards.  Sadly, these are strewn across several adventure packs:

Dain (leadership hero -- all dwarves +1WP and +1 attack while he's ready.  Return to Mirkwood AP)

Lure of Moria (ready all dwarves -- leadership event.  Road to Rivendell AP)

Legacy of Durin (draw a card every time you play a dwarf. Lore attachment.  Watcher in the Water AP)

We Are Not Idle (exhaust X dwarves to put X money on any hero and draw 1 card. Leadership event, Shadow and Flame AP)

Hardy Leadership (+1hp to all dwarves. Leadership attachment.  Shadow and Flame AP).

If you can't manage all of those, I would recommend Return to Mirkwood (for Dain).  The other cards are fantastic, but they will be mostly enhancing things the deck can already do: draw cards and generate resources.  Thorin and Ori (heroes in Hobbit expansion) are going to help you draw cards and make money.  You can get some dwarf-readying action from the Erebor Record Keeper in Khazad-dum.  So, you can do a dwarf deck with just those two expansions… but you're gonna want Dain!!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS