Jump to content



Photo

Hvy Laser Cannon


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

    Member

  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

   The card says that you must change all your Critical Hits to Regular hits, it is wrong?, it could not be change your Regular hits to Critical?, greettings.


"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".


Kaxel Vofer.


#2 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

    Member

  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

No that's how it's suppose to work.  It makes all your crits into regular hits.  If you use a Mercenary Copilot you can change one of your hits into back into a crit as long as your at range 3.  



#3 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

    Member

  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

mrfroggies said:

No that's how it's suppose to work.  It makes all your crits into regular hits.  If you use a Mercenary Copilot you can change one of your hits into back into a crit as long as your at range 3.  

And what is the benefit???, you spent 9 points to use one of your original Critical Hit???, I do not see the useful of that, greettings.


"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".


Kaxel Vofer.


#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Kaxel Vofer said:

mrfroggies said:

 

No that's how it's suppose to work.  It makes all your crits into regular hits.  If you use a Mercenary Copilot you can change one of your hits into back into a crit as long as your at range 3.  

 

 

And what is the benefit???, you spent 9 points to use one of your original Critical Hit???, I do not see the useful of that, greettings.

It's a relatively slight drawback for an otherwise extremely powerful cannon.  You get to roll 4 attack dice at range 3 (with no bonus defense die since it's not your primary weapon) and you don't need to spend a target lock to use it (meaning you can easily set up the shot with it and either focus or target lock to increase your hit chances).



#5 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

    Member

  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

dbmeboy said:

Kaxel Vofer said:

 

mrfroggies said:

 

No that's how it's suppose to work.  It makes all your crits into regular hits.  If you use a Mercenary Copilot you can change one of your hits into back into a crit as long as your at range 3.  

 

 

And what is the benefit???, you spent 9 points to use one of your original Critical Hit???, I do not see the useful of that, greettings.

 

 

It's a relatively slight drawback for an otherwise extremely powerful cannon.  You get to roll 4 attack dice at range 3 (with no bonus defense die since it's not your primary weapon) and you don't need to spend a target lock to use it (meaning you can easily set up the shot with it and either focus or target lock to increase your hit chances).

With three more pionts you could use one Academy Pilot, but i need to use that to see your point, greettings.


"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".


Kaxel Vofer.


#6 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

    Member

  • Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Dbmeboy is right. You're drastically increasing the damage you would do, at the cost of your chance to crit. 

That's not much of a cost at all, considering the value of a critical hit. You're giving up a relatively small chance to do a relatively small amount of extra damage to your opponent--in exchange for a very likely chance to do lots of "regular" damage. 

I don't think the Mercenary Copilot is a very good idea, but if getting critical hits is important to you, it will certainly do that--your chance to crit is almost 100%. 

As to whether the Cannon is worth its cost, I can't say because I don't have a Firespray yet--but just looking at it, I'd say if you can get one attack at Range 3 and one at Range 2, you've earned back a few rounds of damage from a basic TIE fighter, for less than the fighter's cost. 



#7 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

    Member

  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Vorpal Sword said:

Dbmeboy is right. You're drastically increasing the damage you would do, at the cost of your chance to crit. 

That's not much of a cost at all, considering the value of a critical hit. You're giving up a relatively small chance to do a relatively small amount of extra damage to your opponent--in exchange for a very likely chance to do lots of "regular" damage. 

I don't think the Mercenary Copilot is a very good idea, but if getting critical hits is important to you, it will certainly do that--your chance to crit is almost 100%. 

As to whether the Cannon is worth its cost, I can't say because I don't have a Firespray yet--but just looking at it, I'd say if you can get one attack at Range 3 and one at Range 2, you've earned back a few rounds of damage from a basic TIE fighter, for less than the fighter's cost. 

Like i say before I need to play it, to see the utility, greettings.


"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".


Kaxel Vofer.


#8 paradox23

paradox23

    Member

  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

Totally worth it… it's like having unlimited missiles on one of your ships. I played a match with it this last weekend to devestating effect.



#9 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

    Member

  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

paradox23 said:

Totally worth it… it's like having unlimited missiles on one of your ships. I played a match with it this last weekend to devestating effect.

When you put in this way, I totally see your point, it will be a good cannon, thanks, greettings


"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".


Kaxel Vofer.


#10 Keffisch

Keffisch

    Member

  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

Try and put it on Krassis, it gets even better!



#11 dandirk

dandirk

    Member

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:47 AM

mrfroggies said:

No that's how it's suppose to work.  It makes all your crits into regular hits.  If you use a Mercenary Copilot you can change one of your hits into back into a crit as long as your at range 3.  

I would guess that the only modify dice once rule may cause some issues with this.  If crits were modified to hits, I don't think you could change them back.  Though you could change a natural hit to a crit with the co-pilot.



#12 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

dandirk said:

mrfroggies said:

 

No that's how it's suppose to work.  It makes all your crits into regular hits.  If you use a Mercenary Copilot you can change one of your hits into back into a crit as long as your at range 3.  

 

 

I would guess that the only modify dice once rule may cause some issues with this.  If crits were modified to hits, I don't think you could change them back.  Though you could change a natural hit to a crit with the co-pilot.

It's not a "dice may only be modified" once rule.  It's a "dice may only be rerolled once" rule.  Very different.



#13 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

    Member

  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

Ok, I will follow your sugestions, thanks for it, greettings.


"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".


Kaxel Vofer.


#14 Grimwalker

Grimwalker

    Member

  • Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

I basically look at it as, with a Primary Attack of 3 and Heavy Laser cannon, for anything in your front arc you'll never be rolling fewer than 4 attack dice.  It will be either 3+1 for Range 1, or 4 at Range 2-3, and your opponent will never get the extra defense die for Range 3. 

You sacrifice critical chance as noted above, but against Rebels, for usually 40% of their total hit points you don't care about criticals anyway since you're just trying to punch through shields.



#15 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

    Member

  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

Grimwalker said:

I basically look at it as, with a Primary Attack of 3 and Heavy Laser cannon, for anything in your front arc you'll never be rolling fewer than 4 attack dice.  It will be either 3+1 for Range 1, or 4 at Range 2-3, and your opponent will never get the extra defense die for Range 3. 

You sacrifice critical chance as noted above, but against Rebels, for usually 40% of their total hit points you don't care about criticals anyway since you're just trying to punch through shields.

Yes I see the use of this Weapon, I only need tio try, thanks to all, greettings.


"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".


Kaxel Vofer.





© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS