LASGUNS, as in not enough of them.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

I was a bit disapointed to see that the Kreig and Tallarn regiments just got M36 lasguns. They get specifically different patterns in the fluff. I'm all for treating weapons as the generic version in most cases but when you've got a whole a RPG based on Imperial Guard it seems to take a bit out of it when you assume all those specified lasgun patterns, Lucius pattern, Mars pattern, Voss pattern and Ryza pattern are all treated as M36.

So does anyone have any home rules? Or are they going to go into it more detail in Hammer of Emperor?

#2 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

There were some fan rules on DarkReign for variant lasguns for Dark Heresy a while ago, it would need some tweaking. I have high hopes for Hammer the Emperor and I hope it would incloude some funny stuff (and becouse of that Im bit uncomfortable, that it is going to be just 144ish pages long)

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#3 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

If Only War follows the pattern of the other WH40KRP games, there will be a 'supplemental' rulebook with stuff that didn't fit in the main book (Inquisitor's Handbook, Into The Storm, Rites Of Battle); I would expect varient lasguns to appear here.

#4 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

I distinctly recall someone writing up the Lucius-pattern Lasgun.

If my memory serves (which is by no means a common event) it was something like the M36 Lasgun, but with a RoF of S/2/- and a damage of 1d10+4 E. Apparently there's fluff about that pattern hitting harder but firing slower. 

I don't know about the Tallarns, or any other pattern for that matter. Elysians do have their Bullpup Lasguns (but not either of their signature vehicles, grrr!) though those need some fancy new rules IMO.

More content for the supplements, I suppose.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#5 Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

As Only War matures as a game, I can definitely see more las-variants showing up in the armouries. It IS FFG after all. The precedent has already been set. The Inquisitor's Handbook, Into the Storm, Rites of Battle, the Tome of (insert Chaos association here)…. If it is one thing FFG has never let us down on is new weapons and gear. I've got faith Hammer of the Emperor will be the same.

As for creating stats for the fluff guns in the interim, it shouldn't be that hard.

The venerable Lucius 98 of the Death Korps would be a snap. More damage, much less ammo (fluff says like 25 shots before reload) and no rapid fire - single shot only.

The Mars Pattern that the Tallarns use looks to be a long rifle. If we take the design into account, as well as the history and theme of the regiment, we're likely looking at something not unlike a las-lock. Single shot, more than likely - it looks a little too…pretty…to have the internal mechanics for cyclical firing, purely from a design stand-point. The Desert Raiders are supposed to be hit-and-fade, so the gun prolly has wicked range and accuracy.

The Voss pattern used by the Armageddon Steel Legions looks just like a cut down rifle, smaller so it can be manoevered safely within the confines of a Chimera, as they are mechanised infantry and all. Maybe cut down the range, like a las-carbine but otherwise, it's a standard lasgun?

As for Ryza-pattern guns? Maybe a penalty to certain skills? -30 to Intimidate? I mean, really? I just couldn't take a trooper seriously, carrying what looks like an ugly left-over from a really low budget Sci-Fi show. Or maybe a giant cake decorator? I mean, seriously. Yech. Technical Design - CRITICAL FAIL. Just my 2 cents.

#6 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

The Ryza is pretty much non-canon now as it is from such old sources and not been touched upon in so long, so no need to get so hurt about its aesthetics. It was from an era of chainsword warriors and guardsmen with boltguns…

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#7 Face Eater

Face Eater

• Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

Kasatka said:

The Ryza is pretty much non-canon now as it is from such old sources and not been touched upon in so long, so no need to get so hurt about its aesthetics. It was from an era of chainsword warriors and guardsmen with boltguns…

I can that being the case until Forgeworlds Horus Heresy line swings in the direction of the Imperial Army of the 30th Millenium and all that stuff will back, but probably a lot better looking and lot more expensive. 

Is the power setting thing unique to the M36? Is the Lucius .98 and Mars pattern standard setting a more efficient higher power setting, are they even 'accurate'? Is a Voss pattern just a standard Las carbine?

I don't know, I am hoping that the upcomming Hammer of the Emperor (in the same way that the different Marks of Marine armour was in Rites of Battle)  includes it as it going to affect all future regiments potentially, but they haven't said it will yet.

#8 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

Face Eater said:

Kasatka said:

I can that being the case until Forgeworlds Horus Heresy line swings in the direction of the Imperial Army of the 30th Millenium and all that stuff will back, but probably a lot better looking and lot more expensive. 

Is the power setting thing unique to the M36? Is the Lucius .98 and Mars pattern standard setting a more efficient higher power setting, are they even 'accurate'? Is a Voss pattern just a standard Las carbine?

I don't know, I am hoping that the upcomming Hammer of the Emperor (in the same way that the different Marks of Marine armour was in Rites of Battle)  includes it as it going to affect all future regiments potentially, but they haven't said it will yet.

The 1st ed Rogue Trader stuff was pre-heresy as far as i know, so you won't see those designs repeated in FW's Horus Heresy line.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#9 Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

I really can't wait to see what new and exciting stuff Hammer of the Emperor includes. I'm a unrepentant gear/gun nut, so we shall see. My thoughts on what the abovementioned lasguns may or may not include are based on conjecture, limited to fluff descriptions and my own interpretations based on the flavour of the regiments that use the weapons and the design elements of the given models. Nothing hard and fast, and obviously open to interpretation. I'd love to see how FFG comes up with new stuff and how they determine what is to be included in new supplements or not.  

@Kasatka: Whether or not the Ryza is canon or no was not my issue. Its was my *OPINION* that it's a damned ugly piece of gear. I don't expect anyone to share it, just stating it. The whole point of this forum is to share opinions and debate ideas regarding the game. I'd still stat it up for completeness, but like I said, just my 2 cents. The aesthetics of 40K is probably the biggest reason I've followed the IP since I was introduced to it so very long ago. I appreciate the majority of the design changes over the years, in keeping with militaristic themes. That being said, keep that vulgar term to yourself. Peace, bro. 

#10 Frankie

Frankie

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

https://docs.google....gfhJwcenSM/edit

Has Lucius-pattern lasguns, along with not-shitty Laslocks for 17th-19th century regiments.

No idea how tallarn lasguns work or I'd try statting them.

Lucius Pattern/No. 98 Lasgun; Basic, 120m, S/-/-, 1d10+4E, Pen 1, Clip 25; Reliable, 4kg; Common

#11 Lynata

Lynata

• Members
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Face Eater said:

I suppose that would depend largely on where you look. Since details in the fluff of 40k are entirely dependent on who is writing the book, the various weapons may end up having different looks as well as different properties.

In GW's recent works, only the Triplex-pattern lasgun has different power settings - so noted in the 5E Guard Codex and the Inquisitor RPG. The Mars-pattern used to have it as well (shown in the 3E rulebook), but apparently it got "internally retconned" once the studio team came up with the idea of different lasgun types having different properties. The Inquisitor rulebook PDF, downloadable on GW's homepage (link), has rules for the Mars-, Necromunda- and Triplex-patterns.

The irony for Only War would be that FFG actually tried to replicate GW's material at first by making variable charge settings a special trait of their version of the Triplex, but then gamers on the forums began to lobby until any and all las weapons got it.

As for Tallarn lasguns, their miniatures seem to depict them with the standard "2E" lasgun also carried by Valhallans, Mordians, etc - but of course people should feel free to come up with their own ideas if they want to differentiate them a bit. You've got the very same artistic license that all the authors of official material are using, after all. Personally, I would probably focus on likely visual differences and work out possible unique traits from there. For example, I came up with this for the Valhallan version:

The Valhallan version of the trusty lasgun is an especially rugged design featuring a wooden butt, tailored to withstand the harsh climate of their homeworld as well as particularly vicious fights. The weapon includes the Home Materials and Reinforced customisations by default.

current 40k RPG character: Captain Elias, Celestial Lions Tactical Marine   
previous characters: Comrade-Trooper Dasha Malenko (1207th Valhallan Ice Warriors), Sister Elana (Order of the Sacred Rose), Leftenant Darion Baylesworth (Rogue Trader frigate Artemisia)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS