Non-lethal fighting

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Let's say two rival IG units pit their two best fighter in a boxing match. 

Any ideas on how to handle a "combat" like that?

Thanks.

#2 KommissarK

KommissarK

• Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Pretty sure the default unarmed combat attack deals fatigue damage and a light amount of physical damage. It functions for non-lethal pretty much.

#3 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Thanks, Kommissar. Yeah, I'll probably use those rules on p. 251. Maybe if Righteous Fury is rolled I'll call it a "knock-out blow."

My somewhat larcenous squad may try to win some gambling monies through impromptu guardsman pit-fighting. 

House rules welcome if anyone has them.

#4 Plushy

Plushy

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Hmm. Why not treat it like unarmed combat, but then instead of Critical Wounds the characters just have extra wounds beneath 0 equal to their TB. Once those are gone, KO.

My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!

#5 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

Or a simpler approach:
For every successful hit where damage exceeds the targets Toughness Bonus (because i assume they won't be wearing armour!) you cause 1 point of fatigue in addition to 1 single wound.

On a Righteous Fury hit you always cause 1 point of fatigue, even if you wouldn't normally be able to 'hurt' the target. then roll on the crit table as per usual, though the GM may need to narratively change some of the outcomes.

Once a target has 0 fatigue they are unconscious.  Once a target has 0 wounds an arbitrator will call the match (unless you're playing some kind of deathmatch)

A fighter may choose to not get back up after a knock-down hit and throw the match.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#6 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

i think the "normal way" of unarmed combat is pretty cool. With an unarmed attack, the character causes Impact Damage, so the Critical Damage his opponent will suffer is actually very good to represent knock-outs. I would say, leave the rules as they are. A Human character can take suprisingly few levels of Fatigue, so the fights will be short and brutal. Just be prepared that the players will probably try to "cheat" and send a character with Unarmed Warrior to the fight (what will be an auto-win button) ;)

#7 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:41 AM

AtoMaki said:

i think the "normal way" of unarmed combat is pretty cool. With an unarmed attack, the character causes Impact Damage, so the Critical Damage his opponent will suffer is actually very good to represent knock-outs. I would say, leave the rules as they are. A Human character can take suprisingly few levels of Fatigue, so the fights will be short and brutal. Just be prepared that the players will probably try to "cheat" and send a character with Unarmed Warrior to the fight (what will be an auto-win button) ;)

Or Unarmored Master. Or Hammer Blow. Or Dodge +20. Oh… and dont forget that opposing fighter can have the same…  3:-)

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#8 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

TorogTarkdacil812 said:

Or Unarmored Master. Or Hammer Blow. Or Dodge +20. Oh… and dont forget that opposing fighter can have the same…  3:-)

I said Unarmed Warrior because it is a cheap and rather good Talent (at least relatively to the other melee Talents). And it is a huuuuuge boost (1D10+SB damage instead of 1D5-3+SB). But yeah, the Dodge +20 could be funny too :D. But it is not that reliable than an Unarmed Warrior. 

#9 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. Much appreciated.

#10 Questionable Methods

Questionable Methods

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

This is a great idea, and actually would be a good chance to work in some of the less common combat tests like maneuvers, feints, takedowns and stuff like that.  Should make some fun RP opportunities (So long as abhumans are banned from the tournament, less the Ogryn breaks everyone with one hit). 

#11 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Questionable Methods said:

… (So long as abhumans are banned from the tournament, less the Ogryn breaks everyone with one hit).

Or they simply make up the "super-heavyweight" division. :)

#12 Flail-Bot

Flail-Bot

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

Eradico Pravus said:

Questionable Methods said:

… (So long as abhumans are banned from the tournament, less the Ogryn breaks everyone with one hit).

Or they simply make up the "super-heavyweight" division. :)

This is plausibly the worst idea I've ever heard (from a guardsman's PoV). Ogryn are emotional creatures that tend to violence, especially those in the IG. I would NOT want one of those guys getting a bit out of hand and wrecking up the place (or my face). Plus, if it's on the DL fighting, then I don't anticipate the ogryn being even remotely able to keep said secret.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS