Jump to content



Photo

Psyker Battle Squad


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 venkelos

venkelos

    Member

  • Members
  • 984 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:44 AM

Would it be ridiculous to use this for Only War? When a Sanctioned Psyker is new, and not so powerful, they can be rounded up into groups, and then channel as a single whole. In this way, the group is a powerful Psyker, but without the same degree of risks one potent Primaris might bring. The number of "little Psykers" in a regiment should be greater than that of the individual, powerful ones, who haven't burned, out, been corrupted, or fallen in battle, and in this way, they can really contribute to the victories of their force. RT: Into the Storm gives rules for Astropathic Choirs, and having them increase the leader's PR to boost signal strength, for astrotelepathy, among other things, as well as rules for burnout, and such problems. Could this be used in Only War, at least on an NPC level (not too likely to have a player group with 3 Psykers)? When they are weaker, but need bigger hits without the risks of Pushing, and there are other Psykers available, you could have them group up, increasing one's by +1 PR, up to maybe +5, if 5 or more other Psykers were available, and they could deliver a nasty hit, or enhanced benefit, as if they were Unfettered or Pushing, but without the risks. They still could even Push, i guess, if the outcome was REALLY vital, but it would be necessary considerably less often, and doing so could lead to burnout, among other terrible Phenomena. Once they gain a certain amount of power, say PR 5+, maybe, they'd more often be assigned away to other tasks, where a single, powerful operative is more appropriate, so we aren't talking constant scenarios of a PR 6 "Primaris" bringing his convenient flock of Psykers-in-Training around, to hit PR 9 without any risks, at least not most of the time. It doesn't seem, at least to me, that it would be too overly breaking, as you need multiple Psykers, a resource the Guard has, but maybe doesn't stockpile in single areas, and each one, regardless of power, is only adding +1. Mostly, it just allows weaker individuals to accomplish a big effect, when manageable, that doesn't have to bring down they wrath of the Warp. The OW book does a nice job with psychic stuff, and even mentions Psyker Battle Squads, I think, but never mentions Psykers pooling in their collective power for group stunts. RT often seems like a nice place to pilfer stuff from, for only War, and so I thought of this. Opinions? Was it in the book, and I missed it?



#2 Asoral

Asoral

    Member

  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Generally speaking psyker starting power level is fine as it is. If they take a offensive starting psyker power they are most likely already doing more damage than their squadmates (like Smite which at PR 2 is a +20WP test (because of psy-focus) to do semi-auto 1d10+2 pen 4 mindbullets)

Of course you can do whatever you want in your games, but generally speaking only great/monumentous tasks should be something that psykers pool their powers on, since warp dabbling is dangerous when done alone. I wouldn't really allow psyker players do such things in "normal" combat situations, only in some sort of cool plot related instances. After all, starting PR2 player psykers are considered to be "strong" enough to be send to squads on their own.

Also, you should really really REALLY steady your mind to use paragraphs. Not having them makes reading your messages a real chore. It doesn't matter if you don't always get them exactly in the right place, but please use them.



#3 venkelos

venkelos

    Member

  • Members
  • 984 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Asoral said:

Generally speaking psyker starting power level is fine as it is. If they take a offensive starting psyker power they are most likely already doing more damage than their squadmates (like Smite which at PR 2 is a +20WP test (because of psy-focus) to do semi-auto 1d10+2 pen 4 mindbullets)

Of course you can do whatever you want in your games, but generally speaking only great/monumentous tasks should be something that psykers pool their powers on, since warp dabbling is dangerous when done alone. I wouldn't really allow psyker players do such things in "normal" combat situations, only in some sort of cool plot related instances. After all, starting PR2 player psykers are considered to be "strong" enough to be send to squads on their own.

Also, you should really really REALLY steady your mind to use paragraphs. Not having them makes reading your messages a real chore. It doesn't matter if you don't always get them exactly in the right place, but please use them.

Points noted. reir My posts on this site maybe not withstanding, I'm actually usually better about it, but that last/first post really is a long block of text, huh? Sry bout that.

Psykers are often one of my favorite 40K things, and it sometimes seems like I try to get them better stuff than everyone else. i chalk it up to playing D&D, where wizards often are better than other characters, after a while of being the worst, and i often feel, balance tossed out, that they SHOULD be, having a power others lack. That said, the purpose of an RPG is to have fun, so I'll always try to curb my enthusiasm, and hope for character balance, soEVERYONE has fun. I remember reading in the DW threads, though, of players just always Pushing, apparently because DW did a bad job making the consequences really bad enough, and they were playing with people unwilling to beat them up, out of game, and save their characters from said consequences. I think that the Phenomena/Perils risks are enough, and just wondered if they Guardsmen might emulate their Astropaths, and have other Psykers team up, to do more with less risk, IF the resources were available. It would mostly be an NPC thing, only.

Oh well, the path from Probationary to Primaris is a long, and likely lonely road, so it's no big loss.



#4 Plushy

Plushy

    Member

  • Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

…am I the only one opposed to Psykers having a Psy Focus as their starting gear?


My apologies to anyone I offend; FFG staff, playtesters, and forum users alike. 

 

Please check out my Dark Heresy to Only War conversion! You can find it on the main Only War forum. I'm always looking for more people to playtest it!


#5 AtoMaki

AtoMaki

    Member

  • Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Plushy said:

…am I the only one opposed to Psykers having a Psy Focus as their starting gear?

 

With those horrible aptitudes and lazy psychic power selection? No, I don't mind the Psy Focus.



#6 Kasatka

Kasatka

    Member

  • Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

AtoMaki said:

Plushy said:

 

…am I the only one opposed to Psykers having a Psy Focus as their starting gear?

 

 

 

With those horrible aptitudes and lazy psychic power selection? No, I don't mind the Psy Focus.

The psyker in our game last night forgot he had a psy focus and was failing all of his activation rolls. If he'd known he had a psy focus he'd have gotten off smite more than once (which locked his mind in an ethereal prison for the next 10 minutes!)


Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.


#7 Asoral

Asoral

    Member

  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

venkelos said:

Points noted. reir My posts on this site maybe not withstanding, I'm actually usually better about it, but that last/first post really is a long block of text, huh? Sry bout that.

Psykers are often one of my favorite 40K things, and it sometimes seems like I try to get them better stuff than everyone else. i chalk it up to playing D&D, where wizards often are better than other characters, after a while of being the worst, and i often feel, balance tossed out, that they SHOULD be, having a power others lack. That said, the purpose of an RPG is to have fun, so I'll always try to curb my enthusiasm, and hope for character balance, soEVERYONE has fun. I remember reading in the DW threads, though, of players just always Pushing, apparently because DW did a bad job making the consequences really bad enough, and they were playing with people unwilling to beat them up, out of game, and save their characters from said consequences. I think that the Phenomena/Perils risks are enough, and just wondered if they Guardsmen might emulate their Astropaths, and have other Psykers team up, to do more with less risk, IF the resources were available. It would mostly be an NPC thing, only.

Oh well, the path from Probationary to Primaris is a long, and likely lonely road, so it's no big loss.

Ah, good old DW and "pushing isnt dangerous"-mentality librarian players. Our Iron Hands librarian always pushed EVERYTHING. This once we were retreating from the inside of a tyranid bioship and were locked in battle inside a sporechamber with two carnifexi and bunch of little critters (the ship was preparing for planetary assault) and our librarian put on his "im gonna make absolutely everything explode with Betrayal of Flesh"-face and I told him "Don't do it man, you are going to end summoning a frigging Daemon Prince on top of this mess". Then he said "like thats ever gonna happen" and proceeded to summon a daemon prince reir



#8 Face Eater

Face Eater

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I think it's a good idea, it could be fun. It's no more prohibitive than being a an Armoured regiment for instance and you're combined psychic attacks are no battle cannon. I would imagine a psy focus a standard kit for a Sanctioned regiment would be prohibitive either. That being said, I've no idea of the mechanics of it.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS