Summoned Stone - Obstacle/Figure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 emproc1346

emproc1346

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

The rulebook states:  "They [familiars] may be targeted and affected by monster attacks, hero abilities, and Overlord cards that target a hero."

So I think every agrees that a reanimate could obviously be affected by a whole slew of cards/abilities such as Stoneskin, Pit Trap, Dark Charm, Critical Blow, etc. etc…. And a reanimate has to roll a surge to hit an adjacent Shadow Dragon…

But the Stone card says it's a familiar treated as an obstacle… So the question becomes whether this is along with being able to be targeted as a hero or supercedes this language (per the Golden Rules)… Because if it supercedes the language, then it wouldn't be able to be targeted by the things stuff inthe previous paragrah like Dark Charm (or even Prayer of Healing), but also wouldn't need to roll a surge to hit an adjacent Shadow Dragon…

So while I agree that the card text makes the stone an obstacle, does it nonetheless remain treatable as a hero as well?

EDIT: And even if it an still be targeted as a hero, does it need a surge to hit an adjacent monster with Shadow, since the language on Shadow only stipulates "hero"?

#2 Lanabound

Lanabound

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

By default, a familiar behaves as follows:

• It cannot be targeted or affected by any attack and does not block line of sight or movement.
  • The familiar is allowed one "move" action per turn, which is in addition to the two regular actions for the hero.
  • Any additional actions or abilities are specified by the card.

A familiar treated as a "figure" follows the opposite criteria for the first rule: it may be targeted by attacks and it does block line of sight and movement. The second and third rules are still applied.

The Summoned Stone familiar treated as an "obstacle" means it blocks line of sight and movement. Because it is not treated as a "figure," then it cannot be targeted by attacks.

#3 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Lanabound said:

The Summoned Stone familiar treated as an "obstacle" means it blocks line of sight and movement. Because it is not treated as a "figure," then it cannot be targeted by attacks.

Except that, after stating that it should be treated like an obstacle, the Summoned Stone familiar card goes on to say that it may be the target of any attacks (by monsters or heroes.)  However, it is not otherwise treated as a figure, because the card doesn't say to treat it like a figure, as you were saying.

Any non-attack abilities, however, would be unable to target a summoned stone.  This would include effects like Dark Charm and Prayer of Healing.

As far as whether or not the summoned stone would need to spend a surge to get passed Shadow, I suppose that would depend on the exact language of the effect that allows the stone to attack in the first place.  If the Geomancer is attacking through a stone then it's still a hero's attack being made, just from an unusual space.  If an effect allows the stone itself to attack, then you may be on to something.  That would be a question for the FAQ.

#4 Lanabound

Lanabound

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for the correction, Steve. I didn't have my card in front of me. :)

#5 emproc1346

emproc1346

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Went ahead and submitted a question, and here's the response:

-----------------------------------------------------

Since a Summoned Stone is treated as an obstacle and not a hero or monster figure, no abilities applying to heroes or monsters may be used. Thus, it wouldn't be affected by Shadow. However, any ability that allows you to attack through a Summoned Stone, if it's adjacent to a Shadow Dragon, is subject to the Shadow ability (since the hero is the one performing the attack).

The Reanimate is treated as a hero figure, so it would be subject to Shadow.

Thanks,
Justin Kemppainen
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS
About Fantasy Flight Games
Professional Zone