Wear and tear on movement dials

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Spyral

Spyral

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

So I've only played a handful of 6-7 games, a drop in the bucket compared to many of the people here. Still, the print on the outside of the movement dials is starting to come off. While this doesn't effect gameplay, it makes me wonder how these things will look after a year+ and dozens upon dozens of games.

I'm considering coating the outside of the dials in a protective sealant. Anyone else had this problem and tackled it in a similar way? Any recommendations on the kind of coating to use?

#2 AncientAngel

AncientAngel

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:01 AM

This might help.

#3 magi

magi

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

Cool! Thanks for pointing this out.

#4 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

Ooh, good to know, thanks!

This should be stickied, very useful info for everyone to know as soon as possible when they start collecting.

#5 Thunder_Chicken

Thunder_Chicken

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:16 AM

Are there any tricks to taking maneuver dials apart for this procedure?  There become stuck together pretty tightly.

#6 AncientAngel

AncientAngel

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

I am going to give this method a try in the next few days. I will post my findings on what seemed to work.

#7 wiles01

wiles01

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

I went to Lowes and picked up several bags of 3/8" nylon washers.

They just fit in between the 2 cardboard top and bottom parts of the dial.  It keeps the cardboard from rubbing together and also makes the dials easier to turn.

http://i.tfcdn.com/i...dVkA4A/fyVMtP8A

#8 wiles01

wiles01

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Here is links to photos of the washers that I bought.

http://www.flickr.co...N05/8425212369/

#9 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

wiles01 said:

I went to Lowes and picked up several bags of 3/8" nylon washers.

They just fit in between the 2 cardboard top and bottom parts of the dial.  It keeps the cardboard from rubbing together and also makes the dials easier to turn.

http://i.tfcdn.com/i...dVkA4A/fyVMtP8A

greta idea……I'll be giving them a try

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#10 KnightShift

KnightShift

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Thunder_Chicken said:

Are there any tricks to taking maneuver dials apart for this procedure?  There become stuck together pretty tightly.

Take a small pair of pliers, grasp one of the post by the outer edges, then gently twist and pull out and away from the dial.  It worked beautifully for me, no damage to the dial or anything :-)

#11 Spyral

Spyral

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

AncientAngel said:

This might help.

Yeah, that is pretty much perfect. Thanks!

#12 FarkonGnome

FarkonGnome

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:35 AM

Thunder_Chicken said:

I used my pocket knife and went around the black disk on the back side of the dial a few times gently lifting it up. It took about 5 rotations on each dial before they finally seperated but I didn't damage the dials at all doing that.

#13 Thunder_Chicken

Thunder_Chicken

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

I used a small flat head screwdriver with sort of rounded, blunt edges so not to damage anything.  I just lightly pryed up on the plastic.  There were no signs of damage and was a pretty successful endeavor.  Hoping to try some of the plastic washers soon.

#14 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

AncientAngel said:

This might help.

Wonderful Idea, I have some Dial too wasted and I do not play so much, Thanks for it, greettings.

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#15 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

AncientAngel said:

This might help.

Great video… May the Force be with whoever made it and posted it!

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  3 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  3 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

#16 Pygon

Pygon

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Do you think it would be better to use a matte finish or gloss finish contact paper?  I tried some glossy and the reflection can interfere with reading the dial under bright light.  I haven't tried matte yet.

Core/Wave 1: 4 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 8 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Advanceds; Wave 2: 2 YT-1300s, 3 A-Wings, 2 Firesprays, 3 TIE Interceptors

Wave 3: 3 B-Wings, 3 TIE Bombers, 3 HWK-290s, 2 Lambda Shuttles; Imperial Aces: 2 Royal Guard Interceptors, 2 Elite Interceptors

Huge ships: 1 Tantive IV, 2 Transports, 2 alternate X-Wings

Wave 4: 3 E-Wings, 6 Z95s, 3 TIE Defenders, 3 TIE Phantoms

#17 AncientAngel

AncientAngel

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Pygon said:

Do you think it would be better to use a matte finish or gloss finish contact paper?  I tried some glossy and the reflection can interfere with reading the dial under bright light.  I haven't tried matte yet.

It beats nothing at all. I am sure at some point a plastic / high end dial will be available.

Hint, Hint 

#18 Rowdy

Rowdy

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Great, just did all my dials, put contact on then ran a blade around them and the hole in the center, worked a treat

Cheers

#19 FarkonGnome

FarkonGnome

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Pygon said:

The important thing about using contact paper is that you use ACID-FREE contact paper. I've found that most of the clear glossy stuff is not acid-free when looking around at various stores.

#20 RedWilde

RedWilde

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

Checking online, it doesn't look like any of the usual suspect stores around here stock the Contact brand clear adhesive.

But the office stores have rolls of Duck clear laminate, which is acid free so it won't yellow with age.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS