Photo

Many dumb questions for the extremely needy, and possibly missing component question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 notjeff

notjeff

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

so I popped this open today was really impressed blabbity blah it's awesome.

But my friend and I were hung up on a major aspect of the rules. During deployment you play your guys. Then after confrontation, if you have people left over hanging around you can send them to miss around with the force forever.

So we got that, you attach the little force card to them, and if you have more little force bubles on your cards you flip it to your side, and if it's ever on your side at the beginning of your turn, you get your teams benefit, whether that's an extra objective damage or the death star starts getting pissed off.

But, like, those character chilling in the force world. dio they get an exhaustion token every turn? do you add the bubbles of the characters that are exhausted as well? We were definitly playing it wrong, as we had one character each, flipping the force token back and forth each round, adding and removing a focus from our own guys back and forth, removed during the beginning, and adding it back during the force step…

so what are we doing wrong here? It seems like the death star would just be in this perpetual stasis and the rebels have an insanely massive advantage, as they need 3 cards to kill, where as the dark side teams need to either mill 8/10(depending on precon or deck construction) or 24 turns fo force victory? I say 24, because you need to first win it on your turn, then keep it through your opponents,

So what are we doing wrong?

Can anyone explain step by step, without the rulebooks, I can only describe as huttese-like explanation of the force step? It seems like these guys off in force town could even attak each other, yet that didn't make sense at all. do they brin their eqiupment with them too? Can only characters work on the force, or can ships? Can pilots inside of ships work on the force, and if so, is it just the pilot, or just the ship, or is it both at the same time? Can you eject a pilot or something so he goes to do force work, while his ship auto pilots itself into y-wings?

I just need the entire force step to become WAY more clear for my group of players to enjoy it without any issues, especially before I request our 2 local game stores, apart of a chain of 3, begin hosting organized play events for my benefit. 

I think that was the only part of the rules I didn't get. and I guess one other aspect that I got but seemed ludacrous was that the rebel had a way to do an instnat 5 damage to an objective, with a ship that does 2, an objective that does 1, an unopposed bonus damage, an an event.  That is a 1/3 victory swing achievable on round 2? They can just attack right after the DS could either choose to play a blocker or go for force, and take out a 1/3 of my entire game? That seems really powerful, considering the length of time the darkside needs to accomplish anything. I had this 5 damage combo dealt to me twice. Yes, it involves 2 unooposed strike, entirely my fault, but it was my first game. Yet still, they could have played an event to stop my blockers and gone ahead with it. so when my death star was at 2, 10 away from victory, lightside was 2/3 into winning. 

I can only imagine that the force step wa disastrously mishandled. Can anyone elaborate or help at all please?

One last thing, I recieved 2 or a card that clearly states 1/6, and the sith deck was 45 cards instead of 46. The rulebook specifys that the precons should be 48 as well. Was my set shipped with an improper card set, specfically two of one type of location(it was the sith location that actually specifieies one only, which was ironic and we laughed about it, but still)

Or am I over thinking it and everyone got 45 card decks, not including objectives.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

#2 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

notjeff said:

so I popped this open today was really impressed blabbity blah it's awesome.

But my friend and I were hung up on a major aspect of the rules. During deployment you play your guys. Then after confrontation, if you have people left over hanging around you can send them to miss around with the force forever.

So we got that, you attach the little force card to them, and if you have more little force bubles on your cards you flip it to your side, and if it's ever on your side at the beginning of your turn, you get your teams benefit, whether that's an extra objective damage or the death star starts getting pissed off.

But, like, those character chilling in the force world. dio they get an exhaustion token every turn? do you add the bubbles of the characters that are exhausted as well? We were definitly playing it wrong, as we had one character each, flipping the force token back and forth each round, adding and removing a focus from our own guys back and forth, removed during the beginning, and adding it back during the force step…

so what are we doing wrong here? It seems like the death star would just be in this perpetual stasis and the rebels have an insanely massive advantage, as they need 3 cards to kill, where as the dark side teams need to either mill 8/10(depending on precon or deck construction) or 24 turns fo force victory? I say 24, because you need to first win it on your turn, then keep it through your opponents,

So what are we doing wrong?

Can anyone explain step by step, without the rulebooks, I can only describe as huttese-like explanation of the force step? It seems like these guys off in force town could even attak each other, yet that didn't make sense at all. do they brin their eqiupment with them too? Can only characters work on the force, or can ships? Can pilots inside of ships work on the force, and if so, is it just the pilot, or just the ship, or is it both at the same time? Can you eject a pilot or something so he goes to do force work, while his ship auto pilots itself into y-wings?

I just need the entire force step to become WAY more clear for my group of players to enjoy it without any issues, especially before I request our 2 local game stores, apart of a chain of 3, begin hosting organized play events for my benefit. 

I think that was the only part of the rules I didn't get. and I guess one other aspect that I got but seemed ludacrous was that the rebel had a way to do an instnat 5 damage to an objective, with a ship that does 2, an objective that does 1, an unopposed bonus damage, an an event.  That is a 1/3 victory swing achievable on round 2? They can just attack right after the DS could either choose to play a blocker or go for force, and take out a 1/3 of my entire game? That seems really powerful, considering the length of time the darkside needs to accomplish anything. I had this 5 damage combo dealt to me twice. Yes, it involves 2 unooposed strike, entirely my fault, but it was my first game. Yet still, they could have played an event to stop my blockers and gone ahead with it. so when my death star was at 2, 10 away from victory, lightside was 2/3 into winning. 

I can only imagine that the force step wa disastrously mishandled. Can anyone elaborate or help at all please?

One last thing, I recieved 2 or a card that clearly states 1/6, and the sith deck was 45 cards instead of 46. The rulebook specifys that the precons should be 48 as well. Was my set shipped with an improper card set, specfically two of one type of location(it was the sith location that actually specifieies one only, which was ironic and we laughed about it, but still)

Or am I over thinking it and everyone got 45 card decks, not including objectives.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

This thread can not be responded to.  If these are real questions then you need to state them instead of randomly rambling.  Please go re-read the rulebook.

Frankly I think this a troll thread.

#3 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

It sounds like you have multiple gaps in your understanding of the rules. In addition to rereading the rule book carefully, I would suggest watching the tutorial videos FFG produced which can be found on YouTube or on the Star Wars LCG support page on this site (perhaps someone not posting from a phone can link them).

#4 notjeff

notjeff

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

So if this was your company's website, you would tell every other customer with a question that they are trollsand to re-read the book?

Is using the word "troll," or telling someone in the rules questions forum of a website, after they have written something that long and pleading, ever a useful solution?

To answer the other poster (why am I answering questions?) I've watched the videos multiple times, they fail to cover many aspects of the rule book, including how to assemble the pre-cons correctly, and how to assemble our own decks, nevermind the aspects of the force phase. In fact, the neutral cards are mentioned only in a single paragraph of the RB, and the extra factions, despite only have a few cards, are written about as if they have full pre-cons, until you open the game and see they aren't given any pre-made number sets like the others.

So one person took the time to redirect me to videos anyone who buys the game is supposed to watch and usually does, and another called me a troll, but niether has answered a question of helped.

So if anyone wants to go ahead do any of the follinwg useful things I would appreciate it. I might even send you a free board game. 

a)can someone please explain the force phase in detail, and how everyything interacts there turn to turn. The rulebook says to refer to a page that is about combat and not the force phase. 

b)explain why i recieved 2 "limited to 1 per deck" objectives? is this a componen issue or for deck building and everyone did? The rulebook states that the precons should be 48 cards after objectives are taken out. None of mine are. I have one that's 46, one that 45…ect. Am I missing cards? The rulebook does not contain a lite of cards, it only says a total number or light or dark.

So any help is appreciated at this point. I might even prefer it direct messaged to avoid the "trolling" or the other posters. I just didn't really expect that kind of brush off / hostility towards someone asking for help, as I was told this is where one asks for help/questions. 

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

The reason you got the redirect to the video from me is that you had far too many questions to answer effectively by typing, several of which the video covers clearly (for instance, the Death Star dial goes up at least 1 on every Dark Side Balance Phase and goes up by 2 when the balance of the force is with the Dark Side, so the game is a max of 12 turns, not 24).  However, 2 questions is much more reasonable to try to answer, so here you go:

A) To cover the Force Phase in detail, let's look at the flow chart on pgs 30-31 (perhaps one of the best places to reference in the rules).  The force phase has several steps:

1. Force Phase begins.  Nothing fancy happens here, it's just that some future cards may have reactions to the Force Phase beginning, similar to how some of them currently react to the Draw Phase beginning.

2. Active Player May Commit Units to the Force Struggle.  In this step, you can take any of your remaining Force Cards (you should have 3 total for each side) and place them under any units that do not already have a Force Card.  This represents that unit being commited to the Force.

3. Resolve Force Struggle.  In this step, count up the Force Icons (little white dots) on all of your units that are both commited to the force, and "ready" (do not have any focus tokens).  Your opponent does the same.  The Light Side player also has a few other cards currently available that add to their total.  The side with the higher total wins the Force Struggle and the balance marker is flipped to indicate the current balance of the force.  In the case of a tie, the balance remains with whichever side already had the balance.

4. Player Actions.  In this step, players have the opportunity to play Event cards which are Actions as well as to resolve any Actions from their on-table cards.

5. Force Phase Ends.  Like the beginning, nothing fancy currently happens here but future cards could reference it.

B) You received 2 copies each of 2 of the "Limit one per objective deck" objectives because those objectives are in both of the precon decks for the side (Sith/Imperial Navy or Jedi/Rebel Alliance).  Having two copies of the objective sets allows you to keep all 4 precon decks built without needing to switch out any cards.  The precon decks themselves should have 48 total cards, 8 objectives and 40 in the command deck.  The 8 objective sets used are listed, but the easy way to remember it is that it's one of each of that affiliation's objective sets (eg one of each Jedi objective set) plus the aforementioned neutral set (Hit and Run for the light side, Recon Mission for the dark side).  The command set is made up of the cards associated with those 8 objectives (5 cards per objective (numbered 2-6) * 8 objectives = 40 cards).

#6 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

I've been ninja'd!

A. Force Phase questions -

1. Commit…

Commit non committed dudes to the force

2. Force Struggle

Count your ready committed dudes' force icons vs the opponents. (If they have a focus token on them, ignore them)

(Lets say you have Leia and Yoda commited.   Leia has no focus tokens - she adds 3,  Yoda has 1 focus token, he adds zero.)

The only time you'll put focus tokens on your commited guys is when you use them, for resources (mon mothma), to strike (in combat)

or due to an opponents effect (ie. jedi mind trick)  -  The only gotcha, is when in combat - you have to add a second focus token to guys who are commited to the force.  So if you do one of these things - they won't participate in the force struggle step, since they aren't ready.

Just remember that the force stays with what side it is in the event of a tie.

B.  I suspect that the reason there are two sets of the limit one per deck pods in the core box, are because you can build all 4 (Jedi, Sith, Rebel, Imperial Navy) Preconstructed starter learning decks at the same time.  Each of the starter decks use one of the one per deck objectives.

And - It sounds like you are missing cards- each pod has the objective and 5 cards with it - running 8 objectives means a 40 card command deck and 8 objective cards- totalling 48 - to see which you are missing, line them up by pod number - and check to see which cards you are missing - email FF customer service about the cards you're missing - they'll probably help you out.

#7 notjeff

notjeff

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

I do have a follow up question: 

When you commit someone to the force, which can only be done during the force phase, they recieve a stress. But do they never recieve a stress token again while committed, unless a specific event or ability would cause it? This would be another error of outs. If they don' t, it makes sense, as they whtie dots accumulate based ln your commited force, and don't fluctuate based on focused commited units. We had been putting flcus tokens eavh round ln clmitted units. This isn't the case I take it. 

Oh, and if you commit a pilot(units only right?), does the ship stay on the battlefield? Can you commit a pilot to the force, if it's ship has focus tokens?

That's the end of my questions. 

Thanks again.

Oh and yes, after looking, indeed I am missing cards, 2 of them, and will handle that seperatly through their nice CS dept which has always been awesome.

Thanks.

#8 notjeff

notjeff

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE efidm=777917]

2. Force Struggle

Count your ready committed dudes' force icons vs the opponents. (If they have a focus token on them, ignore them)

[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression you cold not attack objectives while committed to the force?

#9 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

notjeff said:

When you commit someone to the force, which can only be done during the force phase, they recieve a stress. But do they never recieve a stress token again while committed, unless a specific event or ability would cause it? This would be another error of outs. If they don' t, it makes sense, as they whtie dots accumulate based ln your commited force, and don't fluctuate based on focused commited units. We had been putting flcus tokens eavh round ln clmitted units. This isn't the case I take it. 

Oh, and if you commit a pilot(units only right?), does the ship stay on the battlefield? Can you commit a pilot to the force, if it's ship has focus tokens?

Thanks again.

Oh and yes, after looking, indeed I am missing cards, 2 of them, and will handle that seperatly through their nice CS dept which has always been awesome.

Thanks.

Where are you getting any of this from?

There is no such thing as a stress token in this game.  If you mean a focus token, what in the rules would give you any indication that you gain a focus token when you commit a unit to the force?  Nothing indicates or implies that.  You gain an additional focus token when you strike with a commited unit, that is all.  If they gain an additional focus token when they strike, why would they not be able to enter an engagement?  Since that is the only time a unit will be focused to strike. The majority of your post is unreadable.  I can not make any sense of half of it.  Is English your first language?  That is a honest question.

Please re-read page 14-15 of the rulebook because you are inventing concepts that just are not anywhere in there.

Sidenote.  The only pilot that is played on a ship is the Black Squadron Pilot, which specfically plays as an enchancement.  Enchancements do not contribute to the force strugggle.  I hope you are not playing other "pilots" in the same way as those cards do not have the text that would allow them to be played in that manner.

#10 Ravncat

Ravncat

• Members
  • 617 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Commiting a unit to the force does not put a focus token upon them. (I assume you mean focus token when you say stress)

You may attack or block objectives with someone committed to the force, the pentalty for doing so is that you recieve two focus tokens when you focus to strike - instead of the usual one. (There's an example on page 22)

When talking about a pilot-  I assume you are referring to black squadron pilot (as only he can be played on a ship, as an enhancement). When black squadron pilot is played on a ship, he becomes an enhancement and is no longer a unit - so he cannot be commited to the force. Vehicles can be commited to the force (as they are units). 

#11 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

notjeff said:

Thanks again.

Thanks.
This is part of the reason I initially recommended watching the tutorial video. In the video, several units are shown being committed to the force and none of them automatically receive a focus token when that happens. You also see one of those units entering an engagement and striking (where it received 2 focus tokens instead of the normal 1). As far as your question on pilots goes, in this game pilot units do not play onto vehicle units but exist separately. The closest thing to an exception is the Black Squadron Pilot which can play as a unit normally orpplay as an enhancement in which case it is no longer considered a unit at all.

#12 notjeff

notjeff

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:38 AM

Thank you to everyone for answering my questions in a reasonable and nice manner.  I now understand how the forcephase works thanks for your posts and am happily playing the game.

Well, except for  "ScottieATF",  or  "Scott Egan," as he is really known, who could only understand less than a majority of half of my post (yet everyone else was able to help me fine.) Obviously I confused the word stress with focus, as many pointed out.  If you are familiar with FFG's other Starwars property, perhaps this would make sense to you. Or perhaps not.

Thanks again!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS