• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

Hey all, here's what I think is a tricky question:

-2-player Siege of Cair Andros, the 3rd card revealed during staging was The Power of Mordor (due to a Surge effect on a previous card).  This card reads:

"Doomed 3. When Revealed: Count the number of encounter cards in the staging area and shuffle them into the encounter deck.  Then, reveal an equal number of cards from the encounter deck and add them to the staging area.  This effect cannot be canceled."

In this particular Staging, there were two cards revealed before TPoM.  They were:

1) Scourge of Mordor: "When Revealed: Each player discards the top card of his deck. Until the end of the phase, raise the total threat in the staging area by X, where X is the total cost of all cards discarded by this effect."

This resulted in 3 threat being added to the staging area.

2) Orc Scramblers (1 threat and Surge, which lead to TPoM being revealed).

My question is: how many cards should I count for TPoM effect?  I consulted the manual, and it states that Treachery cards are put into the discard pile immediately after resolving their effect.  With this in mind, I was thinking

-Scourge of Mordor.  Don't count this one.  It is resolved and in the discard pile when TPoM is revealed.  However, the 3 threat from the discarded player cards will remain in the staging area.

- Orc Scramblers.  Count this.  It's an enemy and clearly in the staging area.

- TPoM.  Count this one as well.  The effect is not resolved at the time of counting (counting is part of resolving the effect), so TPoM is still in the staging area and should be counted for its own effect.

What do you think?

#2 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

GrandSpleen said:

Yes i agree with you for all points Hey all, here's what I think is a tricky question:

-2-player Siege of Cair Andros, the 3rd card revealed during staging was The Power of Mordor (due to a Surge effect on a previous card).  This card reads:

"Doomed 3. When Revealed: Count the number of encounter cards in the staging area and shuffle them into the encounter deck.  Then, reveal an equal number of cards from the encounter deck and add them to the staging area.  This effect cannot be canceled."

In this particular Staging, there were two cards revealed before TPoM.  They were:

1) Scourge of Mordor: "When Revealed: Each player discards the top card of his deck. Until the end of the phase, raise the total threat in the staging area by X, where X is the total cost of all cards discarded by this effect."

This resulted in 3 threat being added to the staging area.

2) Orc Scramblers (1 threat and Surge, which lead to TPoM being revealed).

My question is: how many cards should I count for TPoM effect?  I consulted the manual, and it states that Treachery cards are put into the discard pile immediately after resolving their effect.  With this in mind, I was thinking

-Scourge of Mordor.  Don't count this one.  It is resolved and in the discard pile when TPoM is revealed.  However, the 3 threat from the discarded player cards will remain in the staging area.

- Orc Scramblers.  Count this.  It's an enemy and clearly in the staging area.

- TPoM.  Count this one as well.  The effect is not resolved at the time of counting (counting is part of resolving the effect), so TPoM is still in the staging area and should be counted for its own effect.

What do you think?

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#3 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

I´m not sure treachery cards technically enter the staging area. Is there any word on this?

If they do then your interpretation seems pretty accurate though

#4 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Only the Orcs count.

The other card was not yet put into the S-Area.

#5 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

Thanks for replies.

#6 kennoastic

kennoastic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

From rulebook page 14:

Step 2: Staging
After each player has had the opportunity to commit 
characters to the quest, the encounter deck reveals 
one card per player. This is known in the game as 
staging. These encounter cards are revealed one at a 
time, with any “when revealed” effects being resolved 
before the next card is revealed. Enemy and location 
cards revealed in this manner are placed in the staging 
area, treachery cards are resolved and (unless otherwise 
indicated by the card text) placed in the discard pile.

From this I gather Treachery cards do not enter the staging area, they just resolve.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS