• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Umgrimm

Umgrimm

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Hello

i have some questions about creatures and npc's.

I have the Creature vault since i like the cards as quick reference more then sheets in the books. But i dont have the Creature guide.

1: The rule is that a group of npc have the same stats, cards and dice.

When a player attacks the group and deals damage this is reduced from the total number of wounds. eg 3 npc wih total of 12 wounds. When 4 damage is dealt this means 1 npc is dead and anotherone has 1 wound. But this is calculated on the soak valua of only one npc (eg stat is 1 soak)? This seems to me as incorrect since both npc have soak…

2: I presume creatures, npc have 1 free manouevre as PC have (where is it mentioned)?

3: Each manoeuvre extra is turned into a wound since fatigue doesnt apply to NPC. And stress also?

4: Does anyone play NPC's as if they are PC in terms of fatigue and stress? I find this tempting because in that way NPC can get Insane or strained etc

5: How many action cards can NPC have? (where is it mentioned?)

6: If one action card is used all other henchmen in group cant use it anymore untill it has recharged. This reduces the flexibility of use… no 2 npc in group can use the same card in the same turn. PC know then that this attack wont be played for a while etc…. what do you think of this?

7: The A/C/E gives the number of dice that can be rolled during encounter. Is this number multiplied? for a group of eg 6 henchman( 3x6=18?)?

8: The misfortune dice count against the (fortune) dice pool (A/C/E).?

9: On the creature cards from the Vault there are some cards having a sword on them or 2 swords eg. on the Wargor, Miniataur. What does those mean?

thanks beforehand

Umgrimm

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

1: The rule is that a group of npc have the same stats, cards and dice.

When a player attacks the group and deals damage this is reduced from the total number of wounds. eg 3 npc wih total of 12 wounds. When 4 damage is dealt this means 1 npc is dead and anotherone has 1 wound. But this is calculated on the soak valua of only one npc (eg stat is 1 soak)? This seems to me as incorrect since both npc have soak…

A:  Use the HENCHMEN rules from  ToA 42-43; 56.  This should explain it better.  If that doesn't help, ask here again.

2: I presume creatures, npc have 1 free manouevre as PC have (where is it mentioned)?

A:  YES.  If they go beyond that they suffer 1 wound (or a black die to next action if you want to house rule it that way).  

3: Each manoeuvre extra is turned into a wound since fatigue doesnt apply to NPC. And stress also?

A:  YES

4: Does anyone play NPC's as if they are PC in terms of fatigue and stress? I find this tempting because in that way NPC can get Insane or strained etc

A:  I would pick one or two and instead of having them suffer wounds, tell the players that "he goes crazy and runs off" or "he goes unconscious."  I would "mentally" keep track of this rather than slow the game down doing a bunch of perfectionist accounting.  Keep the action moving :)

5: How many action cards can NPC have? (where is it mentioned?)

A:  I would give them one per SKULL difficulty and maybe a second one.

6: If one action card is used all other henchmen in group cant use it anymore untill it has recharged. This reduces the flexibility of use… no 2 npc in group can use the same card in the same turn. PC know then that this attack wont be played for a while etc…. what do you think of this?

A:  I usually just use the Melee strike or defensive position occasionally for my Henchmen.

7: The A/C/E gives the number of dice that can be rolled during encounter. Is this number multiplied? for a group of eg 6 henchman( 3x6=18?)?

A:  Usually just used per group of henchmen and add one white per extra henchman if you want them smarter/harder.

8: The misfortune dice count against the (fortune) dice pool (A/C/E).?

A:  You add them in addition.

9: On the creature cards from the Vault there are some cards having a sword on them or 2 swords eg. on the Wargor, Miniataur. What does those mean?

A:  It means that they have an "automatic fail" added into the dice roll.  You have to overcome that many challenges, PLUS the ones that you rolled to succeed.  

jh

#3 gruntl

gruntl

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

Mostly covered, some extra comments:

3-4.
There is an excellent optional rule in Creature's guide that can be used for fatigue/stress on NPCs. Each fatigue/stress on the NPC removes one aggression/cunning dice from the ACE pool. If they are out of AC then Expertise will be removed. If out of E then wounds. This works really well in my opinion. This also applies for movement, where the NPCs can spend aggression to burn fatigue for more maneuovres than the free one.

5-6.
In principle, as many as you want. I normally give henchmen 1 special action, regular NPCs 2 actions (one offensive and one defensive/support) and elite NPCs get 3+ actions. The suggestions on the Vault cards are a bit off in my opinion, I tend to use 1+ the number listed on the cards.

But note that more actions means more tracking for you as a GM (unless you handwave NPC recharge, which I normally do). Also, my players never know how many actions my NPCs have, and normally they don't know what they've been hit with (I just give them a description what the attack does to them, could be a special action or a melee strike).

The ACE budget is per type of creature. So, for example, three groups of goblin henchmen (each with 4 gobbos) will share one ACE pool given by the goblin stats. On the other hand, 3 NPCs of different type (e.g., one Black Orc, one normal Orc, and one Goblin) will have one ACE pool each.

#4 Umgrimm

Umgrimm

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

Thanks Guys for awnsering. Still i find it strange that for deciding damage on a group of henchmen with eg each 3 wounds and soak 1 you only reduce damage with 1 soak. Eg damage is 5 minus 1 soak (no def. Etc.) Means 4 damage thus 1 kill and 1 damage on other. But rhst other One has soak also. So that would be no damage……

#5 dvang

dvang

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

Henchmen and their rules are designed to simulate the cinematic element of heroes slicing through hordes of enemies. They aren't intended to be durable. They are intended to die in large numbers. The hero kills foes one right after the other, with each swing of his sword/axe.  Also, a henchmen is also partially considerd a single "monster".  That is why, essentially, soak only applies once per hit, regardless of how many "henchmen" are thematically hit and killed.  You could just think of a henchman enemy as a single monster, who gets weaker the more damage they take.

#6 Gazery

Gazery

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Sorry Emirikol, but I think you have missunderstood his question 9.

I think he means the sword icons on the creature cards, not the crossed swords on action cards.

To answer 9. The sword icons mean you can give that creature an extra action card of that type (so sword means melee, gun means ranged, fire means spell, book means blessing and flag means support) per icon.

So in your example the Wargor can have 1 extra melee action and the Minotaur can have up to 2 extra melee actions.

This should give more of an answer to your question 5 too - how many action cards can you give to an NPC. Usually an NPC will get the following cards:

1. The basic action cards (if able).

2. Any specific action cards available as stated by the Creature Guide. (the hard back book or from the individual boxed sets)

3. Extra action cards that may be available as stated by the icons on the creature cards.

Hope this helps with action cards and creature cards a bit more.

Gazery

P.S. I'm really sorry if it is me who has missunderstood the question and have just confused matters!

#7 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Was not the amount of extra action cards equal to the number of expertise dice of the creature?

Cheers,

Yepes

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS