Photo

I want to limit character types for TEW, what would your ideal types be?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

I'm thinking of limting types to careers having:

* Academic, Urban, Noble, and Bureaucrat 

Thoughts on what the ideal might be?

jh

#2 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

It depends on what kind of game you want. I don't think there is some optimal set for the story.

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#3 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Yea, I wasn't sure.  I've got to read through it yet, but I'm leaning away from the Woodsy-Owl types and the Down-and-Scummy characters as it appears there will be more noble interaction (kind of like running Edge of Night).

jh

#4 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

My players had a discussion first off to agree on what sort of PC's they wanted this time.  Stand-up righteous ones (who would report/deal with criminal deeds etc by a supposed ally), corrupt ones, shadowy-we're not perfect and don't particularly rush to report wrongdoing but still won't accept mutants etc..  They are leaning to the last.  With an understanding they are not to make choices that push others in a direction they have not chosen and I will make them explain any oddities (we will have a dwarf and elf, they will have to explain that, I suggest elf saved dwarf's life at the battle, both have said they were there but they can come up with whatever explains the Trollslayer dwarf not "settling up a fraction of the Grudge against the Beardless Ones").

They are likely to be connected mostly by having fought at the 3rd Battle (3 of 5 have already said they were there - we're early in firming up backgrounds, it will help explain some trust etc. between them).

I used random "draw 3" but guaranteeing that those would be from among careers with traits matching up to the background chosen and allowing one of those on that card to be chosen as "guaranteed".  I admit to fiddling the choices there to give about 6 but only give ones that made sense to me.

For example, I didn't include Docker because that would logically mean you had connections etc. on the docks and the PC's are outsiders to that specific part of town.

I don't mind some down-market characters but they have to have explanations to be acceptable to the noblility etc.  For example, my tailored questions will include for the Criminal (a forger), "the crime you were not convicted for involved the Red Arrow Coaching Line, partyly owned by Graf F. v. K.  Why does he not hold a grudge and why would he, or alternatively his right hand man vinegar-pussed Curd W. trust you?"  My tailored questions will tie folks into the jobs in Averheim and a bit beyond.

Rob

#5 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Emirikol said:

Yea, I wasn't sure.  I've got to read through it yet, but I'm leaning away from the Woodsy-Owl types and the Down-and-Scummy characters as it appears there will be more noble interaction (kind of like running Edge of Night).

jh

There's actually a lot of Down-and-Scummy. More that than noble, IMHO.

You're right about Woodsy-Owl types. Maybe be wary about the Rural trait. 

There's not as much noble interaction as it would appear. There are certainly opportunities that a noble can capitalize on, but I don't think that any major doors would be shut by not having one. 

Honestly, the career I think would be the most interesting is a priest of Ranald. There is so much interaction with criminals, especially those who take lives, that a Ranald priest in the party would create some great interplay with some of the NPCs. Or at least an interesting perspective. 

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS