In-Jokes And Slang

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 SteelAngelJohn

SteelAngelJohn

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

Every group has them - a bunch of jokes and terms that we use to talk about cards, factions and strategies in our games. Every Thief in every game is called a Garret in mine (after the main character of the Thief series), every Assassin is an Ezio, and any mention of shadow is followed by this clip from an awesome movie called The Gamers. So what are your A:N-specific slang terms and injokes? I have a few, despite only playing for a week or so:

• Whenever accessing a Jinteki remote server, I always "Access June Bug" - even if it isn't one, I still expect the worst.
  • Rezzing Melange Mining is often followed by an intonation of "The Creds Must Flow".
  • Nisei Mk II has been renamed "Minority Report".
  • A pronunciation error means that the common and controversial Core generic ice breaker is now called "Creepsis".
  • Private Security Force doesn't do 1 Meat damage, it "Puts The Boot In".
  • Wall Of Thorns is now "Wall Of Ouch".

Anyone else?

#2 Astroscript Test Pilot

Astroscript Test Pilot

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

Private Security Force "Knocks On Your Door" in our group. Similarly, Scorched Earth simply "Blows Up Your Apartment."
The Fetal AI has quickly gained the title "Evil Baby".

#3 IsawaSteve

IsawaSteve

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Whenever I start a run against face down ICE and hit something really nasty, or sometimes even just an unexpected end the run that I can't break, I face planted. (I do this a lot)

Scorched earth is nuking from orbit (it's the only way to be sure)

That last run when the corp has 5 agenda points and an advanced agenda on board is a hail mary.

project junebug/ snare! are "Surpirse!"

and of course there's all the old jargon I haven't replaced yet like data forts.

#4 profligate

profligate

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

I'm so bad for saying actions/bits/nodes.  I have at least managed not to call a Sure Gamble a Score! or a Hedge Fund an Accounts Receivable.  I dunno if I'll be able to hold off calling Kati, Broker.

#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

Whenever my opponent accesses Snare! I say "It's a Trap!" in my best Admiral Ackbar impression.

• solidearth likes this

#6 Diet Diesel

Diet Diesel

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Tonight we were teaching a new guy to play. I call credits "bits" out of habit from the old 90s CCG. To avoid confusion, the new guy immediately dubbed them "rupees" - and it stuck =)

#7 ch0ptl1ver

ch0ptl1ver

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Toqtamish said:

Whenever my opponent accesses Snare! I say "It's a Trap!" in my best Admiral Ackbar impression.

Same

#8 Edwin20er

Edwin20er

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

We've been known to break out an Archer imitation of "Dangah Zone" upon hitting an Archer, especially when we know that it will hurt.  

#9 mdc273

mdc273

• Members
  • 973 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

SteelAngelJohn said:

• Rezzing Melange Mining is often followed by an intonation of "The Creds Must Flow".
  • Nisei Mk II has been renamed "Minority Report".

Hah, for our group it's, "The spice must flow." Not sure who gets the reference any more. Dune is one of those books that's really hit or miss with references.

Minority Report for sure, haha.

I also have a habit of saying, "I don't feel like face-checking Archer." Everyone knows what I mean, but no one else ever says it, haha.

#10 dboeren

dboeren

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

Diet Diesel said:

Tonight we were teaching a new guy to play. I call credits "bits" out of habit from the old 90s CCG. To avoid confusion, the new guy immediately dubbed them "rupees" - and it stuck =)

Yeah, a lot of us call them bits too.  I've also occasionally heard "buck".  Action and click are also interchangeable terms.

#11 zogking

zogking

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

Its not just Weyland to me, Its Weyland Yutani 

• Rithe and Ser Hayeneck like this

#12 sarth3.0

sarth3.0

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

My FLGS's Netrunner playgroup overlaps entirely with our L5R playgroup, so it's not uncommon to occasionally hear credits referred to as either 'gold' or 'koku.' Outside of that, we're still a pretty new group, so we don't have a lot of in-jokes yet!

#13 Encephalon101

Encephalon101

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

Our playgroup has a ton of inside slang.

Whenever peeling off top deck as the Runner we announce "Snare" regardless of what card we see. Even if we know the other player isn't playing "Snare"

Scorched Earth is known as "burn your house down" (One of our players lost his home to a fire years back, he's totally fine, but we reflect via card)

Fetal AI is considered the "Ultimate Trap"

Diesel when played is aggressivley spoken as "DIESEL!!!"

When using Melange Mining Corp we refer to it as simply "the Spice"

Hemdall is known as "Viking"

Sneakdoor when activated is referred to as "Going in the Back Door."

Credits can be referred to as bits, creds, cheddar, gold, bones, chingles, chingleberries, etc.

Nesei I personally referred to as the 'crackheads"

Archer is considered "ah ****"

#14 Krypter

Krypter

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

"Are you a Whizzard?"

http://knowyourmeme....re-you-a-wizard

#15 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:54 AM

Scorched Earth - "Dropping someone's house on them".

Using Personal Touch - "Touching up", obviously usually with more than slightly sleazy connotations. An icebreaker which is upgraded with is referred to as "touched up x".

Personal Security Force - "Legbreakers"

Using Malange Mining Corp - "Printing Money", usually followed by questions on why the corp doesn't spend its time doing this, rather than trying to kill random private citizens (ie, the runners).

#16 zogking

zogking

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

After introducing a friend to the game, he referred to sacrificial construct as 'plugging your toaster in'  sonreir

#17 Tzeechel

Tzeechel

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

For all of the other Red Dwarf fans out there,  Uroboros is now "Dave".

#18 Scally09

Scally09

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

If cards like 'Scorched Earth' are fatal for me then I tend to say that they 'Blow my brain out of the back of my skull!!', the idea being that I've taken a massive electrical surge from the source while physically 'plugged in' to the network. I apply this in other games as well, like in Magic, if i'm 'milled' to death, that represent my brain turning to mush, as I cant think of anymore spells or my spellbook has been torn to shreds!

#19 PJStelford

PJStelford

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Scally09 said:

If cards like 'Scorched Earth' are fatal for me then I tend to say that they 'Blow my brain out of the back of my skull!!', the idea being that I've taken a massive electrical surge from the source while physically 'plugged in' to the network. I apply this in other games as well, like in Magic, if i'm 'milled' to death, that represent my brain turning to mush, as I cant think of anymore spells or my spellbook has been torn to shreds!

That's what happens for brain/net damage. Meat damage on the other hand…

#20 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

med_kraken-humanitys-shadow.png

RELEASE THE KRAKEN

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS