Photo

So many types of encounters cards in the new Gondor expansion.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Why did FFG do that? (less than 10 cards in each type of encounter cards)

#2 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

I think it's b/c, by making the encounter decks smaller, the encounter deck can really interact with itself. So, some of the Shadow effects pump up Type-X enemy - if the encounter deck was large, and mash of various things, that effect would be less likely to go off.

In my opinion, since the encounter decks are smaller, the game has gotten better, as the encounter deck has gotten "smarter."

#3 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

But the setup up time gets longer and when i finish the game it take me more time to sort up each encounter deck.

#4 impaulm

impaulm

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I'm not sure how the encounter sets will be used in upcoming packs, but for now I think there is only one set that is used in multiple quests. If I remember right, Peril in Pelargir stands alone, and the second and third quest share the set with crossed arrows. Not much encounter deck prep is needed, if you just keep them set up. 

Like Dain said, the smaller sets work with each other more carefully and in my opinion seem to provide a more consistent quest.

#5 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Dain is right. Small encounter decks play much better then big ones.FFG do right thing now.Since Hobbit FFG really make amazing job for this game. Before i complain a lot about the game was monotony, predictable and sometimes to easy. Now they make a big job and the game is really shining. And big part play here idea to make encounter decks smaller and make them play faster.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#6 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

Glaurung said:

Dain is right. Small encounter decks play much better then big ones.FFG do right thing now.Since Hobbit FFG really make amazing job for this game. Before i complain a lot about the game was monotony, predictable and sometimes to easy. Now they make a big job and the game is really shining. And big part play here idea to make encounter decks smaller and make them play faster.

Hmmh, but smaller encounter decks make the game even more predictable. Which is what I like, as you get a better grip of what you'r going to face. PiP is a good example, with only 32 cards and 5 cards that surge. In fact, the developers succeeded in reducing the encounter deck by cheating: they simply gave each enemy a forced effect that would ususally require its own treachery card.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS