Peril in Pelargir questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

After getting HoN a couple of days ago I'm still playing and enjoying the first quest Peril in Pelargir. I have some questions though, some because I don't entirely trust the German translation.

1) Collateral Damage

I got this treachery when it was the last card in the encounter deck. To draw the required cards I had to create a new encounter deck from the encounter discard pile. My question is: Do the three other copies of CD that were in the discard pile count to the additional cards I have to draw? I guess yes, as they were in the discard pile when I added CD to the staging area, but I'd like to have some confirmation about this.

2) Harbor Thug

So Ht engages me when I increas my threat at the and of the round. Does he also attack me or do I just move him from the staging to the player area?

3) Trouble with the Locals (not sure if this is the correct name, as I translated it from German to English)

The German version uses a keyword that I'm not familiar with (ready for battle). Does this simply mean that I have to raise my threat when I ready that hero? Or only when I ready him during the combat phase?

4) The German translation sucks again. Not as bad as in the first Hobbit expansion, but I wished they would use the keywords more consistently. I mean there's a difference between "bekämpfen", "angreifen", "in eine Kampf verwickeln" etc. Especially if you choose "angreifen" (attack) as a translation of "to engage". Would be nice if someone could give me the English keywords for each of the enemies in this scenario. Unfortunatly I could only find "Harbor Thug" at cardgamedb.

#2 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

1. That is a great question (Collateral Damage).  The English text reads:

"When Revealed: Discard 2 cards from the top of the encounter deck.  Discard an additional 2 cards for each copy of Collateral Damage in the discard pile.  Then, raise each player's threat by 2 for each location discarded by this effect."

I don't know the answer.  I will vote "yes" because I'm thinking you should use the discard pile that existed at the time that the "When Revealed" text was… well, revealed.

2. Harbor Thug's effect will cause him to engage, but not make any extra/immediate attacks.  Use Boromir to take these guys out of the staging area on turn 1 for easier questing!

3. Local Trouble.  The English text reads:

"When Revealed: Attach this card to the hero with the highest threat cost without a copy of Local Trouble attached. (Counts as a Condition attachment with the text: 'When attached hero exhausts, readies, or triggers an ability, raise its controller's threat by 1.')"

Sounds like the German translation is just bad.  You have to raise your threat any time the hero readies, not just during the combat phase.

4. When you say 'keyword,' do you mean the effect texts for the enemies?  When I hear 'keyword' I think of single words with specific meanings, like 'Battle" on a quest card or 'Secrecy' on a player card.  I can type out enemy and location texts for you, but it will have to wait until later when I have more time…  maybe someone will beat me to it before then!  

Anyone have any idea when/if cardgamedb or lotrlcg.com will be updated with Heirs of Numenor cards?

#3 Ranger of the Force

Ranger of the Force

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:43 AM

leptokurt said:

After getting HoN a couple of days ago I'm still playing and enjoying the first quest Peril in Pelargir. I have some questions though, some because I don't entirely trust the German translation.

1) Collateral Damage

I got this treachery when it was the last card in the encounter deck. To draw the required cards I had to create a new encounter deck from the encounter discard pile. My question is: Do the three other copies of CD that were in the discard pile count to the additional cards I have to draw? I guess yes, as they were in the discard pile when I added CD to the staging area, but I'd like to have some confirmation about this.

As I read the card, I think your scenario would go like this:

Draw Collateral Damage, no cards in encounter deck.  Collateral damage remains in the play area while you shuffle discard pile to make a new encounter deck.   Discard two cards off of the new encounter deck, raise threat for each location discarded, and raise threat by two for each collateral damage in the discard pile which equals zero as the only cards in the discard pile are the two you just drew for collateral damage.  

This is how I have been playing it, but I too would like some confirmation.

#4 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

GrandSpleen said:

1. That is a great question (Collateral Damage).  The English text reads:

"When Revealed: Discard 2 cards from the top of the encounter deck.  Discard an additional 2 cards for each copy of Collateral Damage in the discard pile.  Then, raise each player's threat by 2 for each location discarded by this effect."

I don't know the answer.  I will vote "yes" because I'm thinking you should use the discard pile that existed at the time that the "When Revealed" text was… well, revealed.

2. Harbor Thug's effect will cause him to engage, but not make any extra/immediate attacks.  Use Boromir to take these guys out of the staging area on turn 1 for easier questing!

3. Local Trouble.  The English text reads:

"When Revealed: Attach this card to the hero with the highest threat cost without a copy of Local Trouble attached. (Counts as a Condition attachment with the text: 'When attached hero exhausts, readies, or triggers an ability, raise its controller's threat by 1.')"

Sounds like the German translation is just bad.  You have to raise your threat any time the hero readies, not just during the combat phase.

4. When you say 'keyword,' do you mean the effect texts for the enemies?  When I hear 'keyword' I think of single words with specific meanings, like 'Battle" on a quest card or 'Secrecy' on a player card.  I can type out enemy and location texts for you, but it will have to wait until later when I have more time…  maybe someone will beat me to it before then!  

Anyone have any idea when/if cardgamedb or lotrlcg.com will be updated with Heirs of Numenor cards?

Thanks for answering. Helps a lot re: Harbor Thug and Local Trouble.

With "keyword" I usually refer to traits that you mentioned, but also to stuff like "negage", "put into play". Perhaps I should have said "concept of play"?

Re: Boromir - Of course I'm trying the new Boromir who works quite fine together with Beregor and Thalin.

#5 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

• Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

I did you one better, and went ahead and scanned all the cards for Ithilien and Pelargir to the best of my ability.  URLs here:

The images are just full platens of scanned cards, I didn't scan the cards individually… hope it's not too hard to navigate.  And I didn't do the Cair Andros quest because I haven't played it yet… don't want to spoil anything for myself!

#6 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Ranger of the Force said:

leptokurt said:

1) Collateral Damage

As I read the card, I think your scenario would go like this:

Draw Collateral Damage, no cards in encounter deck.  Collateral damage remains in the play area while you shuffle discard pile to make a new encounter deck.   Discard two cards off of the new encounter deck, raise threat for each location discarded, and raise threat by two for each collateral damage in the discard pile which equals zero as the only cards in the discard pile are the two you just drew for collateral damage.  

This is how I have been playing it, but I too would like some confirmation.

100% agree

Wizard is never late.......

#7 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

GrandSpleen said:

I did you one better, and went ahead and scanned all the cards for Ithilien and Pelargir to the best of my ability.  URLs here:

The images are just full platens of scanned cards, I didn't scan the cards individually… hope it's not too hard to navigate.  And I didn't do the Cair Andros quest because I haven't played it yet… don't want to spoil anything for myself!

Wow, thanks, GrandSPleen. That's helping me a lot! :-)

#8 cyberlettuce

cyberlettuce

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

Another quick question about harbour thug... If the harbour thug is stuck in the ranger spikes does he still engage the player holding the scroll if his threat goes up? It says no engagement checks are made but this isn't strictly an engagement check, or is it?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS