The Dark Pharoah Mask and the Dark Pharoah Herald

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FuriousG

FuriousG

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Last night we played our first game with the dark pharoah herald, and the mask monster hit the board.  Rather than confront the mask directly, we opted to avoid it for a few turns, and then closed and sealed a gate that had a corresponding symbol to the mask and returned it to the cup.

The herald card indicates that when the mask monster is 'defeated', an effect occurs (the particular effect is escaping me at the moment).

By removing the mask monster through the gate closing, was the monster considered "defeated", thus triggering the effect?

Thanks in advance for the help!

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

No. "Defeat" is identical to "pass a combat check against." Anything that would have allowed you to take the thing as a trophy (were it not for endless) would count as "defeat."

#3 FuriousG

FuriousG

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Dynamite!

Thanks for the fast reply :)

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Yes, especially "Dynamite!"

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#5 Nonimus

Nonimus

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Tibs said:

No. "Defeat" is identical to "pass a combat check against." Anything that would have allowed you to take the thing as a trophy (were it not for endless) would count as "defeat."

Even if I get trophy in encounter? (in graveyard you find corpse…., take from the cup one monster trophy)

#6 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

Nonimus said:

Even if I get trophy in encounter? (in graveyard you find corpse…., take from the cup one monster trophy)

In case you're instructed to draw a monster & keep it as a trophy, you don't pass a combat check against it. You simply find its corpse. So My Other Faces is not triggered

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS