boba fett

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:53 AM

Reaction: After this unit damages a Character unit, capture that unit.

ls has gaurdian of peace in play.

han takes damage from fett ls puts it on gaurdian.

can ds capture han?

does ls even get the chance to put damage on gaurdian?

does ls lose han and still have to put damage on gaurdian?

can fett capture gaurdian if he wants (after she take the damage)?

#2 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

Rogue 3 - Does Fett do enough damage to kill han? (I don't have my cards handy)?

Welcome to the machine!

#3 Rogue 3

Rogue 3

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

MasterJediAdam said:

Rogue 3 - Does Fett do enough damage to kill han? (I don't have my cards handy)?

doesnt matter to this question :)

#4 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

Han would have to take the damage from Boba Fett do be captured assuming he does not die, if he dies then no capture.

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

Rogue 3 said:

ls has gaurdian of peace in play.

han takes damage from fett ls puts it on gaurdian.

can ds capture han?

does ls even get the chance to put damage on gaurdian?

does ls lose han and still have to put damage on gaurdian?

can fett capture gaurdian if he wants (after she take the damage)?

1. DS can capture Han if and only if Fett actually did damage to Han

2. Yes, the LS can still redirect the damage to the Guardian

3. You never have to put damage on the Guardian, you can choose to use the protect ability to redirect the damage

4. Not entirely clear.  There's some debate on what the source of damage redirected by protect is (the original source, or the protect keyword).  I lean towards the "original source" interpretation, which would allow Fett to capture the Guardian.

Bonus: Note that Fett's ability is a Reaction to damage being dealt, which means that it does not happen until after damage has been dealt.  As such, if the damage would destroy the character, the target would be destroyed and not available to be captured.

#6 Surge1000

Surge1000

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

Boba Fett's reaction reads:

If the controller of Guardian of Peace used its protect ability to place the damage on Guardian of Peace, Han would not take any damage from Boba Fett.  He would not be captured.

If the damage from Boba Fett kills the Guardian of Peace (who has 2 damage capacity), then the Guardian would not be captured.  I would argue that if the Guardian took damage from Boba Fett but was not killed, it would then be captured.  However, there is a debate right now about what the source of damage is when dealing with protect effects.  I contend that protect is a redirection of damage, therefore the original source of the damage would still be considered the source of damage.  However, this is not entirely clear based on the text in the rulebook alone.  If it is ruled that protect changes the source of damage to the Guardian's controller, which I think is a very highly unlikely ruling, then no card would be captured regardless of whether or not the Guardian dies.

#7 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

Finally I'm on the ninja side of a ninja'd :-D

#8 Surge1000

Surge1000

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

dbmeboy said:

Finally I'm on the ninja side of a ninja'd :-D

Gonna take me a while to recover from that throwing star you just put in my forehead…

#9 Xenu's Paradox

Xenu's Paradox

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

Protect is kind of a gray area in the rules, TBH. I think it's safe to say that Han doesn't get captured, but aside from that, the rules don't clarify the source of damage when Protect gets used very well. Arguments can be made both for Fett dealing damage to the Guardian, thus capturing her*, and for Fett's damage being neutralized and the Protect ability dealing an equal amount of damage to the Guardian.

*Unless the Guardian has a shield and the DS player lost the Edge battle, in which case Boba swings for 1 and the LS player can discard the shield to prevent the damage. No damage = no capture.

#10 MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

I am not certain a out the debate on damage redirected to a guardian. It seems fairly simple that if it is redirected the source is not changing, but rather the target taking the damage. If the source is BF and the character doesn't die, then it would be captured. 

Welcome to the machine!

#11 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

MasterJediAdam said:

I am not certain a out the debate on damage redirected to a guardian. It seems fairly simple that if it is redirected the source is not changing, but rather the target taking the damage. If the source is BF and the character doesn't die, then it would be captured. 

The problem is that the full rules for Protect in the rule book don't clearly say that damage is just redirected. I agree with your conclusion, but I can't say that it's entirely clear.

#12 Goldenrod

Goldenrod

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

Sorry or resurrecting an old thread. But in order to capture, the unit must survive the unit damage. So he can't never capture a 1 damage capacity unit?

When captured, the unit goes Under any DS objective? It doesn't stay with Fett!

#13 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

Sorry or resurrecting an old thread. But in order to capture, the unit must survive the unit damage. So he can't never capture a 1 damage capacity unit?

When captured, the unit goes Under any DS objective? It doesn't stay with Fett!

Correct. His ability is a reaction, which happens after the damage. If damage matches or exceeds the damage capacity of the unit being struck, the unit is discarded before the capture effect reacts.

Edited by GroggyGolem, 14 March 2014 - 09:04 AM.

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS