The world of Andoid

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

I was wondering: Where might I read up on the universe of Android?

Thanks!

#2 Damocles346

Damocles346

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

There isn't a whole ton of information avalible on the Android universe in any sort of easy to access format, as far as I know. FFG has published 5 books set in the universe so far, and the two other games, Android, and Android: Infiltration, add a lot of lore and flavor if you can get a hold of some copies.

#3 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

I was sort of wondering if there was discussion about how far into space they've explored in the game: Do they have off system mining operations, etc…

It is for a game I play with my students that I was going to refasion using some space mining thing…

#4 wrath87

wrath87

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Have a read of Free Fall. You can get it for about $7 from anywhere that has Ebooks (eg apple, amazon, ect) link http://www.fantasyfl...eidm=153&esem=2

They open cut mine the moon and have a large space station connected to earth via an elevator called the stalk (im just skiming details here the book goes into more depth) but they don't have deep space exploration. Living on the moon is about as far as we have made it.

#5 Rince

Rince

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

wrath87 said:

Living on the moon is about as far as we have made it.

It is kind of weird, in a real world kind of sense…

Today, one of the main reasons we are not out in the solar system more is the tremendous cost of putting hardware into orbit, and the weight limitations of rocket technology. Currently, it costs some $10.000 a pound just to put something into orbit, if I remember correctly, and there is only so much weight even a heavy lift rocket can carry (if any existed today). However, a space elevator, such as the Beanstalk, could solve these problems, driving down the cost to a fraction of its current rate, as well as essentaly eradicating the limit on how much you can bring up to low earth orbit. And once you are in orbit, it takes relatively little effort to launch for other destinations, especially if you can refuel as well. If we ever had the technology to construct a space elevator (which, since the discovery of carbon nano tubes, some scientists are actually begining to look at more seriously), I would imagine at least a research station or even a few small colonies on Mars.

#6 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Rince said:

I would imagine at least a research station or even a few small colonies on Mars.

Well according to the trailer for Android, Mars IS colonized: http://www.fantasyfl...?eidm=68&esem=4

Also, if I recall correctly, the character Raymond Flint, from the original android game, has a past as a fighter pilot in a war on mars

#7 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

Mars is colonized as there is a civil war going on there and they do not like Weyland. It is in Weylands write up at the back of the rulebook.

#8 Rince

Rince

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

Nerdmeister said:

. . .Mars IS colonized. . .

Good; it makes sense. :)

#9 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

The board game I wanted to make was a mining game that required a molton core on some planet that is insignificant, but had located some fancy 'thing' that people want to mine it for. Mars does not have a molten core (As far as we can tell), though Mercury is believed to has such of one. Now granted, Mercury is incredibly volatile, but if there was significant incentive, I could see sending heavily sheilded clones / androids / unmanned robots to do the job… Granted, I'm not sure that we could reasonably assume that Adroid universe allows for temperature resistence or swings that Mercury has… ho hum.

I could just move mine to 'the distant future' and abandon this Andoird tie in attempt…

#10 Hannibal_pjv

Hannibal_pjv

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

Damocles346 said:

There isn't a whole ton of information avalible on the Android universe in any sort of easy to access format, as far as I know. FFG has published 5 books set in the universe so far, and the two other games, Android, and Android: Infiltration, add a lot of lore and flavor if you can get a hold of some copies.

Are those 5 books any good? I like Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive by Gibson as much as When Gravity fails serie by Effinger and even Hardwired by Williams as they represent guite well that dard corporate driven dystopia future that are used in 2020 and Android universe as a baseline. However If i want to read books about Android universe I would like to hope that they are at least partially as good as those corner stones of Cyperpunk franchise.

#11 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Android has 4 (soon to be 5) novels and 3 games published exploring the world.  You can get the most info from two sources - the original Android board game (which is mostly a vehicle for the universe rather than a self standing game - it's almost more an RPG than a true board game) and the novel Free Fall.  Of the two, I'd recommend Free Fall more as it's only 7 bucks and doesn't require 3 hours to play.  :P

I have 3 of the four novels, and Free Fall is the best, even though the story is secondary to the world building.  It's a solid read but it's major purpose is to introduce the world of Android.  You'll learn the most about the universe from it.  The other two novels I own, Strange Flesh and Golem, are both decent reads but nothing mind blowing or really in-depth Universe wise.  Their great for guys like me who love the Android Universe and want more of it, but they don't have a lot of appeal otherwise.

But yeah, Free Fall is your best bet.

#12 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hannibal_pjv said:

Are those 5 books any good? I like Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive by Gibson as much as When Gravity fails serie by Effinger and even Hardwired by Williams as they represent guite well that dard corporate driven dystopia future that are used in 2020 and Android universe as a baseline. However If i want to read books about Android universe I would like to hope that they are at least partially as good as those corner stones of Cyperpunk franchise.

Other than Android, I haven't delved a lot into Cyberpunk, but I rather like all three of the novels I own.  Free Fall is the best, and the other two were enjoyable reads (Golem was better than Strange Flesh by a small margin though), but I doubt any of them are instant genre classics.

What really appeals to me about Android is the old time Detective Murder Mystery ala Sam Spade vibe that the original game was built on, rather than the corporate exploitation angle.  It's a lot of fun.

#13 Damocles346

Damocles346

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

I have only read Snow Crash and Neuromancer, but I can tell you already that these books are more on the sword and sorcery level of books then up there with the likes of Philip K. **** or anything. They are cheap popcorn books that offer us a glimpse at the Android universe on a more personal level, but don't expect literature or anything.

#14 Hannibal_pjv

Hannibal_pjv

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for both comments about the Android books! I can see the reasoning behind both of those opinions… Hmm… Maybe I try to get The fall book and hope that there will be some kind of Android atlas released somewhere in the future… There is a place allso for those "popcorn" books, but I seldom can read many of them. But if you hapen to like the setting, and allso you get a climpse of the world and theme!

For example "Bored of the Rings" is not a good book, but because I like the Middle Earth setting even a not so good parody is ok. Allso Eisenhorn is not so good book, but it give you an insight of the life an Inkvisitor in Warhammer 40000, so it has merits in there.

#15 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

There already is an Android Atlas - the original Android board game!  :P  The main gameboard is a very servicable map of New Angles and the Heinlen moon colony.

#16 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

We need an Android Wiki…

#17 Damocles346

Damocles346

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:30 AM

vermillian said:

We need an Android Wiki…

Agreed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS